Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Truncated station names  (Read 2575 times)

Kiloman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Truncated station names
« on: October 03, 2013, 06:56:46 PM »

Seems like there's a limit on the number of characters on a station name; once you get into the station dialog the whole word is 'Exchange'

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:04:43 PM by Kiloman »

Kiloman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Truncated station names
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »

Also I'm pretty sure this is obvious, but the medium and large maps from Exerelin way exceed the size of the system map grid:

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »

It'd be really nice if we could re-define the scales for that stuff, or zoom out further.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »

Seems like there's a limit on the number of characters on a station name; once you get into the station dialog the whole word is 'Exchange'
This was one big nuisance when I was translating those Chinese mods.....

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »

Thanks for the report(s); these are all known limitations. While it might be nice to adjust things so that they aren't, as long as the limitations remain (and some kind of limitations always will), it's really up to the mods to not break the game.

Kiloman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:31:47 PM »

Yeah they're definitely cramming a lot of info into the station name. I can see what they're trying to do but a lot of that info probably belongs in some sort of custom tooltip UI once that becomes possible.

As for the map grid - no possibility of extending/tiling it out as necessary, instead of having what appears to be a fixed-size grid image centered on the system's sun?

Sorry, I know this is turning into suggestions...

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »

Commenting on the specific case reported here as occurring in Exerelin: Let me say that only Nazis waste the space required to append the star name to the front of the planet name.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 04:38:09 AM »

Commenting on the specific case reported here as occurring in Exerelin: Let me say that only Nazis waste the space required to append the star name to the front of the planet name.

Not sure if joking...

The system name is prepended to the planet name so that when fleets say 'Attacking <planet name><station name>' it says 'Attacking <system name> <planet name> <station name>' instead. I hardly think that qualifies as Nazi-ish material... or as a waste of space.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 05:50:43 AM »

Ah, sorry, I hadn't realized it fulfilled that function  :-X

Still strikes me as inefficient to expand the planet/station names in at least three other places just for that, but I suppose if you could change just the fleet tooltip you would have.