Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Early-game difficulty (I like where it is)  (Read 2363 times)

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Early-game difficulty (I like where it is)
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:29:25 PM »

0.6.2a may bring us an easier early-game. I personally oppose anything other than a very minor change, because to me the early game is currently one of the best parts of vanilla Starsector, especially in Iron Mode.

It is the most intense part of the game; you're fighting for your life and your ship piloting skills are at a premium. You have to pick your fights carefully, not just say "well where is the closest fleet I can prey upon." You can't buy your way out of every mistake, nor can you rely on your enormous late-game character skills which, in some cases, ensure you have a hero fleet.

In conclusion, without a plot or economy or adventure, Starsector in its current form needs the harrowing early-game. Take your pre-buffed ship and be happy, imo  :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:34:58 PM by SatchelCharge »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Early-game difficulty (I like where it is)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 03:41:32 PM »

0.6.2a may bring us an easier early-game.
Hm?  Did I miss a post from Alex somewhere?  I was under the impression that the intended method for "make early game easier" was "add trading", which I wouldn't expect to see in 0.6.2.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »

From the blog

Quote from: Alex
There are still a few things I’d like to add in the near future, so you can expect an 0.6.2a release fairly soon – it’ll likely involve a few less-critical fixes, and possibly some adjustments to exactly how combat readiness works. I also want to take a look at making the early game a bit easier, especially for new players.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »

Hm?  Did I miss a post from Alex somewhere?  I was under the impression that the intended method for "make early game easier" was "add trading", which I wouldn't expect to see in 0.6.2.

It's in the last blog post.
I would not put it beyond Alex to introduce a bare-bones trading system in .2 that gives you an opportunity to earn some money without combat. All you'd need for that purpose would be varying prices on stations.
That would still leave you with all the difficulty early game combat holds, you could actually just ignore it if you want.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:07:28 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »

I'd put my money on an easier easy mode, where you can choose which ship you'd like to start in and maybe its loadout.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »

Ahh, I never actually read the on-main-site .6.1 announcement, just the release thread in the forums.  That explains it.  Thanks for the reference, Gothars.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »

0.6.2a may bring us an easier early-game. I personally oppose anything other than a very minor change, because to me the early game is currently one of the best parts of vanilla Starsector, especially in Iron Mode.

It is the most intense part of the game; you're fighting for your life and your ship piloting skills are at a premium. You have to pick your fights carefully, not just say "well where is the closest fleet I can prey upon." You can't buy your way out of every mistake, nor can you rely on your enormous late-game character skills which, in some cases, ensure you have a hero fleet.

I agree, because I am skilled and can handle fighting for my life and putting a premium on my piloting skills. I agree with everything you said, but that is not something that everyone will agree with. There are plenty of people who are in it for the fleet management or the non-combat side of things. As long as these changes are optional I have no complaints with him making the beginning easier for those who want it

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 05:21:41 PM »

As long as these changes are optional I have no complaints with him making the beginning easier for those who want it
+1; it would be nice if there were more choices about difficulty, so that the experience can be customized for all sorts of players.  I think that the game's far too easy atm, personally, but I wouldn't want my prejudices become everybody else's requirements :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »

The early game is brutally difficult and unforgiving, especially if the player unknowingly selects a weak ship.  Experienced and/or skilled players can overcome this and the game gets progressively easier quickly.  But new and/or less skilled players will be unable to progress further.  They may die at the first battle, or they may win a few battles, then make an error, get wiped, and lose everything.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »

Haven't exactly decided on the specifics, but I'm thinking in terms of offering easier starting (and possibly re-starting) options, not something that would drastically alter the early game balance. Something someone new can choose to have a more forgiving experience right off the bat, instead of basically bouncing off a wall repeatedly.