Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: 0.5 feedback  (Read 57931 times)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
0.5 feedback
« on: February 14, 2012, 01:46:09 PM »

Well, I've now spent a few hours playing around with the new, lovely 0.5 version of the game. That it's awesome goes without saying, of course, but I have noticed some things that could be improved. (Which, hey, is only natural at this point. Still, I'm imagining some of these you might actually not have noticed, so here goes.)

• The Wasp drones - the fighters without crew - do not seem to be repaired. I figure this is a bug related to them using zero crew, is this right?
  • It would be really helpful if, in the refit screen, you could see some kind of overview of the weapons installed using a mouse-over, right-click or some other such function. It would be downright great if, selecting a weapon slot, you could see the stats of the currently equipped weapon as well as the weapon you mouse-over so you could easily compare them.
  • There seems to be some sort of bug relating to the cargo capacity - I noticed that even offloading all supplies and having no weapons in the cargo, the game marked me as using a few points (2, I believe) of my fleet's cargo capacity.
  • Based on the way the game goes in the system we can play around in, the Tri-Tachyon overpowers the Hegemony massively - they tend to easily wipe out any Hegemony fleets they come across and eventually control the system. Is this working as intended?
  • Could empty slots on the refit screen be emphasised somehow and/or there be some kind of message when some of your weapons get destroyed? I was surprised to find a Lasher of mine to be minus one light assault gun - I only found this out by accident. (I assume you can only lose weapons if the ships get disabled.
  • Could the text links that control how you're going to approach the battle (communicate, attack, leave and control yourself, let second in command do it etc.) be made into some kind of buttons rather than just floating text, along with some physical separation on the screen? It'd look a bit better and clearer.
  • Really liking the new tooltips in combat and elsewhere!
  • Component damage rules!
  • Either I'm awesome or lucky, because I won the Forlorn Hope mission on the first try despite making a few minor blunders.
  • I'd really like an option to set "targets" on the campaign map so I don't have to jump in and out between the astrogation ("flying around") view and the map to find my destinations, especially moving targets like fleets.

These are the things I discovered today. Don't take this list of complaints to mean that I'm not happy with what I got. I would have gladly went on playing. Still, I figured first impression feedback is useful.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.5 feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:06 PM »

It would be really helpful if, in the refit screen, you could see some kind of overview of the weapons installed using a mouse-over, right-click or some other such function. It would be downright great if, selecting a weapon slot, you could see the stats of the currently equipped weapon as well as the weapon you mouse-over so you could easily compare them.
Yeah, I also noticed you only see what weapons are on a ship and not what slots, so I have to back out of all menus so I can hit esc and read the codex to figure out what is actually on my hull.

Loving this so so much, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »

Thanks for your feedback! No need to be apologetic about pointing things out - I appreciate it :)

• The Wasp drones - the fighters without crew - do not seem to be repaired. I figure this is a bug related to them using zero crew, is this right?

Oops, that's exactly what it is. Fixed.

• It would be really helpful if, in the refit screen, you could see some kind of overview of the weapons installed using a mouse-over, right-click or some other such function. It would be downright great if, selecting a weapon slot, you could see the stats of the currently equipped weapon as well as the weapon you mouse-over so you could easily compare them.

Right, yes. Need to do that. And a few other things to make that screen more friendly/nicer looking.

• There seems to be some sort of bug relating to the cargo capacity - I noticed that even offloading all supplies and having no weapons in the cargo, the game marked me as using a few points (2, I believe) of my fleet's cargo capacity.

Marines use a bit of cargo space for their weapons and armor.

• Based on the way the game goes in the system we can play around in, the Tri-Tachyon overpowers the Hegemony massively - they tend to easily wipe out any Hegemony fleets they come across and eventually control the system. Is this working as intended?

Hmm. Maybe? Since they both respawn, and Tri-Tachyon is the strongest opponent, with the best ships you can capture, that's probably alright.

• Could empty slots on the refit screen be emphasised somehow and/or there be some kind of message when some of your weapons get destroyed? I was surprised to find a Lasher of mine to be minus one light assault gun - I only found this out by accident. (I assume you can only lose weapons if the ships get disabled.

Ahh, yeah. That should only happen to captured ships (or possibly also ones that were disabled + repaired, don't remember off the top of my head). But yeah, I can see how that'd be a bit annoying.

• Could the text links that control how you're going to approach the battle (communicate, attack, leave and control yourself, let second in command do it etc.) be made into some kind of buttons rather than just floating text, along with some physical separation on the screen? It'd look a bit better and clearer.

I actually kind of like that menu, though it doesn't really mesh style-wise with the rest of the game. Ah, well, if there's one thing that's always safe to say is that the UI is going to evolve.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:10:20 PM by Alex »

jareddm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:11:09 PM »

On this note, how exactly does cargo work when you're going over the maximum listed?  I didn't notice any penalty for when I was over maximum and the little cargo bar changed to red.
  • I'd really like an option to set "targets" on the campaign map so I don't have to jump in and out between the astrogation ("flying around") view and the map to find my destinations, especially moving targets like fleets.
This.  It's really annoying moving around the campaign map by constantly clicking to get anywhere, as well as having no clue where any ship is in proximity to you.

Also, hull modifications are awesome!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »

There isn't any penalty right now.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:20:26 PM »

This.  It's really annoying moving around the campaign map by constantly clicking to get anywhere, as well as having no clue where any ship is in proximity to you.
You can click and hold.

Also, hull modifications are awesome!
YEAH they are.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Wavenarra

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »

I can't figure out how to do anything.

Is the only way to progress to kill pirates?

That seems highly unlikely since the starting ships are downright USELESS.

But I see no other stations on the map, so I'm assuming that I am meant to kill super-powerful pirates in a *** tanker?

jareddm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:24:44 PM »

You can click and hold.
Huh...that certainly helps.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »

I can't figure out how to do anything.

But I see no other stations on the map, so I'm assuming that I am meant to kill super-powerful pirates in a *** tanker?

Which ship did you start with?  A hound?
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »

Yeah, that's the way to get started. Find some of the weaker fleets (with 1-3 ships in them) and go to town. Turn down damage taken to half in the settings, if you're finding it too hard. That should be the default, though.

As far as the starting ships, some are worse than others. The Wolf and Lasher are the stronger ones, the Brawler and the Hound are on the weaker side.

Also - buying a few Talon wings at the start can help.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »

Oh! Well, that makes sense!

Hmm. Maybe? Since they both respawn, and Tri-Tachyon is the strongest opponent, with the best ships you can capture, that's probably alright.

That's true enough, but I'm worrying about the long-term balance and/or flavour considerations - as things stand, the Hegemony comes off as a serious underdog compared to the Tri-Tachyon. I mean, is the vision of the setting that in the conflict between the two factions, the Tri-Tachyon is an almost inevitable victor? Still, this is hardly an urgent matter and a matter of future balancing, I guess.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into it. Things will change significantly, especially once there's more than one system to play around in.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 02:36:52 PM »

Oh! Well, that makes sense!

That's true enough, but I'm worrying about the long-term balance and/or flavour considerations - as things stand, the Hegemony comes off as a serious underdog compared to the Tri-Tachyon. I mean, is the vision of the setting that in the conflict between the two factions, the Tri-Tachyon is an almost inevitable victor? Still, this is hardly an urgent matter and a matter of future balancing, I guess.

My assumption is that superior numbers will assist the Hegemony in the final game, along with a greater supply base resource/planet wise, and maybe a more rapid regeneration of ships to supply their ships after losses during battle.  Because you are right, the Tri-Tachyon will pretty much always win in an even numbered battle, because their ships are more awesomer.   ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Wavenarra

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »

BUG:

I got a great starting ship, and won some battles, and bought twenty marines. Get into another battle, suddenly I'm floating in that shuttle that ferries you to control other ships.

Battle immediately ends, my ship captured. Back in a *** tanker.

Well, time to start a new game until I get a good ship.

(By the way, I'm pretty sure that new players to the game will just eternally reroll the campaign until they get a good starting ship. Nobody likes starting in a *** ship that can't do ***. )

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »

BUG:

I got a great starting ship, and won some battles, and bought twenty marines. Get into another battle, suddenly I'm floating in that shuttle that ferries you to control other ships.

Battle immediately ends, my ship captured. Back in a *** tanker.

Well, time to start a new game until I get a good ship.

(By the way, I'm pretty sure that new players to the game will just eternally reroll the campaign until they get a good starting ship. Nobody likes starting in a *** ship that can't do ***. )

What happened is you ran out of crew (too many got killed, not enough left for your ship to be combat-ready). I need to deal with this better in the UI - it's on the list.

Also, F5 and F9 (quicksave and quickload) are your friends.

Also: would you mind cursing a bit less?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13