Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Aesthetic Customisations and Modifications  (Read 10127 times)

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
Aesthetic Customisations and Modifications
« on: October 03, 2013, 02:33:37 AM »

Hey guys

I think that ship aesthetic customisation should be implemented into the game. I have found that when assembling fleets with a factionally diverse selection of ships it looks... shabby. An in-station armor style/paint modification system would be awesome. I understand that he ship sprites are simply stored as .png files, such a system would not be too complex if this is the case. Even a simple hue slider would suffice. Additionally if you could have the name of the ship written on its hull accompanied by a fleet logo it would add that extra layer of personalisation. Of course all this would cost credits and perhaps require you to capture a ship of the desired style e.g. If one wishes to have a sexy advanced tech look on an onslaught he would have to capture a paragon etc.

Also, why no planned multiplayer  ??? A minecraft style world based system would be so damn cool! Battling your friends' fleet, conquering his worlds, enslaving his people! Yes please!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Aesthetic Customisations and Modifications
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 03:02:55 AM »

Hi Noilei, welcome to the forum :)

Painting ships sounds like a good idea, but it was tried and didn't work well. You can see an example here.
I think that your fleet looks a bit "shabby" and thrown together fits pretty good into the post-apocalyptic game lore. It's not an age for military parades of neat and sparkling new ships anymore.

Why there will be no multiplayer is answered in the FAQ, I'll just quote here:

Will there be a multiplayer mode?
No. There are two main reasons – one is that MP and SP often have conflicting design goals. In brief, what makes a SP game fun may not work for an MP game, and vice versa. The other reason is the amount of time and effort to add it – which is very significant. We’d rather focus on making the SP as good as we can, instead of spreading our efforts too thin.

I'd really be damn cool, but no use in dreaming here.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:06:58 AM »

Also, why no planned multiplayer  ??? A minecraft style world based system would be so damn cool! Battling your friends' fleet, conquering his worlds, enslaving his people! Yes please!

Don't quote me on this one, but I'm fairly sure that MP was a waaaaaaaaaaay down the track plan, if at all, because it would be too much work and it seems to be more of a "polish" job than anything else.

EDIT: ninja'd by Gothars...
EDIT2: Would it be feasible to think that a "ship painting" mod could be made?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:09:41 AM by mostmodest »
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 05:32:25 AM »

I see, i havn't read too much into the lore as i foolishly assumed there was none! If that's the case then i shall embrace it  :). Well thank you for your input gentlemen (I presume). Its a pleasure to be part of this community

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »

Also, why no planned multiplayer  ??? A minecraft style world based system would be so damn cool! Battling your friends' fleet, conquering his worlds, enslaving his people! Yes please!

Don't quote me on this one, but I'm fairly sure that MP was a waaaaaaaaaaay down the track plan, if at all, because it would be too much work and it seems to be more of a "polish" job than anything else.

EDIT: ninja'd by Gothars...
EDIT2: Would it be feasible to think that a "ship painting" mod could be made?
shadow is working on something like this, but i don't know how he's coming along

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »

I think the problem is that theres a distinct epoch that each ship belongs to, thus when ships are with members of the same epoch, they feel like they belong and by extension if they're in different epochs, their differences are highlighted

More ships that "bridge" the epochs would help, a broadsword is at home both in a lowtech and midline fleet, as is a mule or a venture whereas an apogee is between the midline and hightech, all these ships both provide a middle ground between epochs and make the entire fleet seem more coherent imo
mmm.... tartiflette

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »

Just dropping in here.
Maybe it's an idea to have an 'overlay' for every ship, which can be changed in colour, rather than the hulls themselves?

Spoiler
[close]

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »

Just dropping in here.
Maybe it's an idea to have an 'overlay' for every ship, which can be changed in colour, rather than the hulls themselves?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKayLq1d5Bs

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 04:43:22 AM »

Well I've found that  simply changing the hue can make the ships seem as though they belong together. On account of the most striking differences being the colour of the hulls.

E.g.
Spoiler
[close]

Not Perfect, but its simple and can make quite a difference. I just think that even if the society has collapsed people will want to paint their ships.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 04:50:55 AM »

Sorry, but to me that looks like an impostor!

I think the color is part of the identity of a ship class, changing it completely like that is too much.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 05:02:14 AM »

Sorry, but to me that looks like an impostor!

I think the color is part of the identity of a ship class, changing it completely like that is too much.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I just like unity within a fleet, which i suppose does not belong in a chaos ravaged universe. I guess i'm looking for a way for player to create an identity for herself/himself, after all the pirates have their style of ship, the hegemony theirs and the tri-tachs theirs. If they can have unity why not me :)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 05:04:08 AM »

Striping or a self-designed logo would be enough to personalize your ship. Painting it like it belongs to another faction is too much in my opinion. :)

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 05:16:15 AM »

Striping or a self-designed logo would be enough to personalize your ship. Painting it like it belongs to another faction is too much in my opinion. :)

Yes indeed, I was just throwing ideas out there :) The overlay idea is far more viable and befitting. Similar to the ship customisation  in Homeworld 2 (Starts to purr)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 05:33:38 AM »

Yes, adding your own logo on the ships in Homeworld 2 was awesome.
I had my own ships personalized with this guy:

Now if that doesn't strike fear into the enemy's heart, then what will.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 05:36:06 AM »

Spacebourne assault potato wings.
Pages: [1] 2 3