Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Aesthetic Customisations and Modifications  (Read 10123 times)

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
Re: Aesthetic Customisations and Modifications
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 05:59:58 AM »

Yes, adding your own logo on the ships in Homeworld 2 was awesome.
I had my own ships personalized with this guy:

Now if that doesn't strike fear into the enemy's heart, then what will.

Max is absolutely terrifying :) Talking about Homeworld, that Higaran Descendants mod is amazing!

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 06:24:46 AM »

You're too kind. :D Now let's get back on topic! ^_^'

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 06:38:05 AM »

If this does get made into a thing, and I'm talking waaaaaaaay down the track near the end of the final touchups and polish for the game, it could be something as easy as a pre-game sprite editor (a really basic editor with coloring being the only change). Sure, there's going to be people who won't use it because they won't need it; but the people who do want to edit their ships' color can do so to their heart's content. You could even edit the sprites right now if you wanted to by simply using Photoshop, but a Starsector ship color-er doesn't sound too bad for a final update.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 06:52:20 AM »

If this does get made into a thing, and I'm talking waaaaaaaay down the track near the end of the final touchups and polish for the game, it could be something as easy as a pre-game sprite editor (a really basic editor with coloring being the only change). Sure, there's going to be people who won't use it because they won't need it; but the people who do want to edit their ships' color can do so to their heart's content. You could even edit the sprites right now if you wanted to by simply using Photoshop, but a Starsector ship color-er doesn't sound too bad for a final update.

Agreed, it's not for everyone but should be available nonetheless. If Alex is going to add in more ships (Is he?) then it shouldn't be a problem. For me, it comes down to variety. I want a super carrier (Atlas), but i want it to look like a tach ship etc.. I just want MOAR! MOAAAAAAR! please

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 07:51:44 AM »

Doing this would be pretty "easy" per ship, but would be a pretty big expansion of the content.

What would be a lot easier is to simply do a mask layer over each ship with various amounts of translucency, allowing for hue-slider behaviors for "paint stripes" and logos, etc.

Having logos like was suggested would be possible but rather difficult to make look good; the ships aren't 3D so we can't just stick a decal on it, so finding a place that's big enough / flat enough would be difficult to say the least.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »

Sorry, but to me that looks like an impostor!

I think the color is part of the identity of a ship class, changing it completely like that is too much.
Well I've found that  simply changing the hue can make the ships seem as though they belong together. On account of the most striking differences being the colour of the hulls.

E.g.
Spoiler
[close]

Not Perfect, but its simple and can make quite a difference. I just think that even if the society has collapsed people will want to paint their ships.

I actually think that adjustment looks rather good.  The option to paint an entire ship would be rather nice, in comparison to just slapping a stripe or two on it.  Where is the logic in only being able to paint a stripe? What, are the gods themselves going to slip out of hyperspace and take your hull-plating away because they don't like that you painted over the original paint scheme?

Really, though, being able to paint an entire ship would allow for a greater sense of congruity within a player's fleet, and even allow for an easier time making "civilian" or refitted versions of ships, much like how subfactions (such as pirates and rebels) were done in Escape Velocity.

I know, I know, but it's hard to avoid bringing up EV when this game parallels in so many ways!

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 07:32:59 PM »

Well if it isn't forced upon the player then there is no reason such a simple modification shouldn't be implemented. Some like it, some don't. If the option is there its only going to make the people who want it happier.Why not have stripes and hull colouration! I just feel as though we need a way to make our fleets, our fleets.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »

ooh, now that's a sexy paragon if I ever seen one

Just played around with some hue adjustments for other ships... That actually works pretty well...

not sure how practical to implement, but you might be onto something there
mmm.... tartiflette

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 07:51:37 PM »

ooh, now that's a sexy paragon if I ever seen one

Just played around with some hue adjustments for other ships... That actually works pretty well...

not sure how practical to implement, but you might be onto something there

Indeed it does and the adjustment is so simple yet so effective.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 03:51:24 AM »

The main reason that was mentioned against that kind of customization is that it takes away from the 'identity' of the ship. The closest that is do-able would be decals.

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 06:27:08 AM »

The main reason that was mentioned against that kind of customization is that it takes away from the 'identity' of the ship. The closest that is do-able would be decals.

Yeah i get what you're saying. Although, in my opinion, If a ship has a unison identity and there is several of those same identities, it takes away from the players identity. I do not see this as a problem, and it doesn't bother me. I just think that it would be a really cool option to have that many player will love. As it is a single player game, if the 'identity' of a ship was diminished then what would that matter? It isn't effecting your experience? People are already modding away like crazy, does that take away from the identity of the game?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 07:32:43 AM »

The problem with the hue-slider approach is that its something that only works well with some ships.

It really doesn't work all that great with the ships that aren't monochrome palettes, though.  I.E. Buffalo Mk. 2, Lasher etc. don't really like hue-slider stuff.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 09:05:02 AM »

Personally I thought the colour test images with the different coloured markings, but not different coloured hull looked great. It didn't really diminish the identity of the ships because the Paragon still looked clearly like a blue-hulled paragon, even when it had red auxiliary markings.

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »

The problem with the hue-slider approach is that its something that only works well with some ships.

It really doesn't work all that great with the ships that aren't monochrome palettes, though.  I.E. Buffalo Mk. 2, Lasher etc. don't really like hue-slider stuff.

A way to fix this would be to add "zones" for varying hue/saturation adjustments.  Essentially "cutting the ship up", painting those bits, and slapping it all back together for a finished product.  These adjustments could be stored as some sort of "data" on the ship file in much the same way as hull mods and weapons loadouts.

This allows for a high degree of customisation, allowing people to completely change the paint scheme of a ship, while still allowing those who don't want to paint their whole ship to keep it as it is and only plop a stripe onto it.

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »

I still think Gotcha!'s overlay idea gives us the most bang for our buck of the ideas proposed so far.
Pages: 1 [2] 3