Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: is it possible to make "Strafe to cursor" a toggle?  (Read 5857 times)

Evolution13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
is it possible to make "Strafe to cursor" a toggle?
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:47:31 PM »

I have mild cerebral palsy. Long story short: only my index finger and thumb on my left hand will reliably do what I tell them to. Having to continually hold down shift makes piloting really tricky. I'm hoping there's a way to toggle in in the settings that I've missed?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: is it possible to make "Strafe to cursor" a toggle?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »

In \starsector-core\data\config\settings.json, there is a setting you can change- autoTurnMode.  Change the "false" to "true" and the shift-steering mode is the default. 

Really should be in the options menu by now, but Alex has been busy with so much other stuff :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »

Hi! Yes!

Follow the path starsector-core/data/config/settings.json. Open that file with a text editor and change "autoturnMode":false to "autoturnMode":true. VoilĂ !

Optimally you'd also bind "turn left/turn right" to shift-A/D, so you can still turn manually when you want.

Ninja'd :O
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Evolution13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:14:30 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for the help :)

MasterGlink

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »

It would be great if this was a toggle bound to say, Caps Lock. But I agree it should at least be in the settings menu, along with being able to rebind the strafe (without following the mouse).

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 04:35:44 AM »

Yap, just did this and works great! Now onto getting camera snap to ship!
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »

After playing so many, many hours of SPAZ, this might be my saving grace.

Now onto getting camera snap to ship!

Isn't this what the Z key does? Or do you mean center-lock it instead of cursor tracking?
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 10:35:52 PM »

An option to lock camera to your ship would actually be amazing, as the cursor tracking is a bit odd.   When using the "face to cursor" key, I do a lot of movement, and sometimes, both me and my target will drift near the edge of the view, and the view will shift to accommodate, centering the camera on my ship again; however, this causes an issue in that it shifts my cursor's relative postion to my ship, causing me to make a rapid turn in the opposite direction of the viewshift.

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 05:48:16 PM »

Now onto getting camera snap to ship!
Isn't this what the Z key does? Or do you mean center-lock it instead of cursor tracking?
Nah, it's like rotating minimap in games, the camera is locked to your ship so if you spin the ship the entire screen spins with it.

An option to lock camera to your ship would actually be amazing, as the cursor tracking is a bit odd.   When using the "face to cursor" key, I do a lot of movement, and sometimes, both me and my target will drift near the edge of the view, and the view will shift to accommodate, centering the camera on my ship again; however, this causes an issue in that it shifts my cursor's relative postion to my ship, causing me to make a rapid turn in the opposite direction of the viewshift.
YES! So many times. I think Alex mentioned that it causes "motion sickness" or something like that but why not simply give us the option like this one? Simply let us edit a line in the .ini file cameraLockmode from 0 to 1 and see how it goes? I would LOVE for this to happen.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »

Oh, yeah, I'd definitely be hurfing everywhere if the playing field rotated.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »

I wasn't talking about locking relative camera position to the ship.  I was suggesting it be the same as normal, except it would keep your ship in the center of the screen.

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 02:51:55 AM »

I wasn't talking about locking relative camera position to the ship.  I was suggesting it be the same as normal, except it would keep your ship in the center of the screen.
That is already the case, but moving the mouse away from the ship drags the camera slightly so you can see further away, it would be more dificult to play otherwise.

DornoDiosMio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »

I've already set the option in the config file to the non-default behavior as that is how I normally prefer to pilot ships.

However, I would LOVE it if the option to toggle this on or off with a button was implemented in game.

Primarily due to my desire to pilot different ships with a different setup.

For ship with primarily front facing weapons I love the non-default control setup.

For ships with all broadside turrets, I can't fly those at all unless I use the 'original' control method.

So, I have to choose one or the other for the moment.  Even with an option in game that I could turn off or on, it'd still be a bit tedious having to go into the options menu before/during each battle depending on what flagship I am using.

So, I would ask you to consider possibly making the 'shift' key function as a toggle, on another key perhaps?  I still like the way shift works and I wouldn't want that taken away ever.

I did try binding the 'shift' key function to caps lock a week ago or so, but, it does not function as a toggle. It works just like the shift key except you must now hold down caps lock.

Anyway, just wanted to add my thought on this.  If you decide not to add a toggle it's not a deal breaker for me, I can just stick with the ships that have forward facing weapons, lol.

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 11:56:52 PM »

That is already the case, but moving the mouse away from the ship drags the camera slightly so you can see further away, it would be more dificult to play otherwise.

I at least want a way to keep the camera from drifting like it does, as so to prevent the random lurching that can cause me to miss a volley, possibly firing on my allies.

Apostolos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 11:03:11 AM »

This may be a little bit of a necro, but I have to chime in here. It just happened to me too. I clicked on the agree to turn on my transponder and got attacked anyway.  If this is supposed to be a tutorial, it needs to teach you HOW to turn on the transponder. I am literally alt tabbing out of the game to write this and I just checked.. I do not see anything with the words transponder on the control bar.  I just thought I would post this before having to open up a new tab to look up how to actually do the tutorial.  (This game looks like it will be amazing..just hard not to show my frustration at a tutorial)