Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New stystem for the Doom  (Read 2687 times)

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
New stystem for the Doom
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »

So, with this new buff for phase it deffinitly makes them better, at least for me, but as I have stated before, the Doom needs a new system. The fast missle reloading is focused on a strike craft build, but I use it as a more support role, and so I don't use it often. Also, the other phase ships have systems that stop missles, emp and flares, while the Doom has no protection from missles.

I have suggested maybe a aoe pulse that come from the center of the Doom outward, pushing ships slightly doing little damage but destroying missles.

katherine0852

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: New stystem for the Doom
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »

I also don't like missile reloading on the Doom, mostly cause it generates Flux and I need that for Phasing. The only missiles I even really want that system for (on other ships) are Pilums though, the rest either refire fast enough or get the job done fast enough that reloads aren't that neccesary.

Never really had a problem with missiles tracking my Doom though, just stick some PD in those 4 small energy turrets and phase out if something gets too close ;)

As for other systems it could have, I don't feel like making up a new one right now so I'll just look at the existing things:
High Energy Focus would be a good fit, but I worry it might be too overpowered on this.
Flares aren't really all that needed if you stick PD in those turrets, IMO, but they would be a fairly safe option. And they are pretty good with cloak, as the Afflictor shows (I hate how limited their ammo is, by the way).
EMP Emitter is interesting, but that really seems like more of an "annoying frigate" system.
Maneuvering Jets/Burn Drive don't make sense now that Cloak gives a speed bonus already anyway.
Point Defense Drones (either, though I feel laser would fit best flavour-wise) could be fun if they cloak with you, but if they don't they look incredibly useless/fiddly to play with.
Sensor Drones, see previous.
Terminator Drone I haven't actually played with yet, but on paper it looks like a good fit! Would it be balanced to have a rebuildable buddy on a ship without CR deterioration, though?
Ammo Feeder would really nullify the universality of those small hardpoints. It would fit a strike cruiser, but I don't like it on a high-tech ship like the Doom.
Phase Skimmer/Teleport? More Phasing is cool! Would probably make it a little too maneuverable for a cruiser (isn't already the fastest one?), but I could see an argument for Skimmer if the top speed was nerfed a little (which would conveniently make the Aurora the fastest again, if you don't look at the Falcon cause it's Light).
Fortress Shield, not to leave it out: uh. Maybe if it gives it a shield?  :D

All in all, my vote's for the Terminator Drone or Phase Skimmer. They both also work nicely with the Doom being a wonder of Phase engineering!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:47:19 PM by katherine0852 »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »

Point Defense Drones (either, though I feel laser would fit best flavour-wise) could be fun if they cloak with you, but if they don't they look incredibly useless/fiddly to play with.

Drones that phase with you when in close proximity mode, but stay in normal space while in free roam mode would be fun.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 04:41:12 PM »

Ya, I have seen those type of drones in mods and they seem like a good idea. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the fast missles, I was worried

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 05:07:40 PM »

While strike Doom can be fun, it wants max Missile Specialization to really shine (and used as your flagship) at that role.  (I do not use Missile Specialization given my dislike for missiles.)  I use the Doom as a brawler, mainly as a Needler/Blaster kiting platform.  I equip my Doom with Light Needler x4, Heavy Blaster x2, and Burst PD x4.  If I have OP to spare, I may use the Typhoon Reaper Launcher.  If not, then single Harpoons (if free) or nothing (if not).

A not-so serious idea for a new ship system:  Phase Cloak/Shield toggle.  It can use one or the other, but not both.  Cloaking would be nice for strike role, while shields would be nice for straight-up brawling, which the Doom is good at, even with Phase Cloak.

Another ship I wish had a different system:  Venture!  It is too slow to chase a ship and fire torpedoes at point-blank, and the other missile weapons stink without Missile Specialization.  It would not be so bad to exhaust all its missiles quickly, except if I field a Venture, it is for its flight deck, and it needs to stay in battle for my fighters' sake.  If only there was another cruiser-sized carrier that was not designed as a missile boat.

katherine0852

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »

While strike Doom can be fun, it wants max Missile Specialization to really shine (and used as your flagship) at that role.  (I do not use Missile Specialization given my dislike for missiles.) <snip>
Couldn't agree more; I just tried 6x Swarmer with full Missile Spec. (and both hull mods).  Spamming F, with the missiles on autofire. Turns out everything is a Fighter, who knew?  ::)

A not-so serious idea for a new ship system:  Phase Cloak/Shield toggle.  It can use one or the other, but not both.  Cloaking would be nice for strike role, while shields would be nice for straight-up brawling, which the Doom is good at, even with Phase Cloak.
I could see this working, but it might work better as a Phase Cloak > Shields hullmod? (Applied Physics, the Tech flux cap one, could use a 5 and it fits there best flavour-wise too)
Mainly because it's a bit awkward to have an in-battle system you basically only use once per battle (at the beginning). Though drones do have that problem too.

Another ship I wish had a different system:  Venture!  It is too slow to chase a ship and fire torpedoes at point-blank, and the other missile weapons stink without Missile Specialization.  It would not be so bad to exhaust all its missiles quickly, except if I field a Venture, it is for its flight deck, and it needs to stay in battle for my fighters' sake.  If only there was another cruiser-sized carrier that was not designed as a missile boat.
If only there was something better to use as a missile boat! The only ones with racks can't fit large missiles, and you can't even get more than 2 mediums :(
In fact, I think the Doom is currently the best missile boat? Shouldn't plan shoot-explosives-filled-packages-in-it's-general-direction be more of a low-tech thing?
The Venture could probably do with PD drones too, drones for everyone!

Back to the Doom:
It occurs to me Flares also distract PD systems. What might be cool, and fitting with the sneaky strike bastard theme, is if it had a kind of flares that distracted all auto-firing weapons on nearby ships.
Though I can't really reconcile that with lore, ie. gunners starting to suddenly shoot at flares. Unless they're supposed to be aiming purely by sensors?
Another thought along that line that would work for visual gunning better: special flux-vents that create short after-images that confuse gunning crews and sensors alike.
I'm gonna say it'd dissipate hard flux only, do so at half the rate of normal dissipation and create one image per second (so the cost of one image is effectively half the Doom's dissipation/s).

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »

The problem is not that the system is useless, but that it means the Doom could only be a missle cruiser to use its system effectively, while things like the Burn Drive, terminator or PD drones could be used with any build.

Take the Wolf, the phase skimmer could be used to help as stike, or to get to a distance for its advantage or escape a bad situation. But the doom has a system that is only effective for missles, and nothing else.