Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Capturing Enemy Ships  (Read 3173 times)

melon_commander

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Capturing Enemy Ships
« on: February 14, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »

Firstly just want to say how awesome this game is, I've owned it for about a month now but this is my first post on the forum.

Absolutely loving .5 but I have one question...

How do I capture ships without them being destroyed so that I can salvage them or use them or whatever? At the end of every battle the ships are always wrecked.

Many thanks for an amazing game and an amazing community :D

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing Enemy Ships
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »

Welcome!   :)  I'll link ya a post Alex made on this topic recently in another area of the forum.

The chance for a ship to be in good enough shape to board is fairly low - so, just win more battles and you'll get the opportunity eventually.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »

It rocks when you finally get it. I managed to capture a condor! Made my day.  :D

EDIT: I should mention I lost every single marine in the assault though. Many bothans died to bring us this condor...   :(
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:24:17 PM »

It rocks when you finally get it. I managed to capture a condor! Made my day.  :D

EDIT: I should mention I lost every single marine in the assault though. Many bothans died to bring us this condor...   :(

Yikes.  Hmm, so that would have been a grim scene for the crew to wade through afterwards eh?  :P

Hopefully none of them made any good friends among the marines, I intend to set up strict non fraternizing rules on my ships.   ;D
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

melon_commander

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the help :) I was trying to damage the enemy ships as little as possible to try and capture them, but now I know that doesn't work I can fire as many missiles as I like ;D

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the help :) I was trying to damage the enemy ships as little as possible to try and capture them, but now I know that doesn't work I can fire as many missiles as I like ;D

True, except if they go BOOM and disperse into tiny bits entirely, then you have 0% chance of capturing them, just to be clear.   ;D

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »

Yeah, well that takes a LOT, though. I say fire them missiles!
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »

it seems that focussing damage in one spot increases likelihood of intactness

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

it seems that focussing damage in one spot increases likelihood of intactness

Interesting, that makes me wonder if the percentage of overall armor left intact effects the results, huh.