Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Explosion shockwaves!  (Read 3697 times)

Darkreaver1980

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Explosion shockwaves!
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »

hi there,

today i played starfarer again, mostly hornets nest and sinking the bis´mar. After blowing up the onslaught multiple time, i asked myself: "Where is the shockwave?! this ship is huge!"

Wouldnt it be absoluty cool if big ship (cruisers + capital ones) would realy go out in a huge bang? Other ships which are very close could take damage or even blow up by the shockwave. Ships further away from the shock wave (like half a screen) should be dragged by it. I suggest to include a 4-5 second delay to the explosion after a ship is destroyed, so the player has some time to react to it, you could display blue sparks on the ship before it blows up etc.

Basicaly, just look at space pirates and zombies, they have realy nice shockwaves, just a bit to fast ones. Its one of the features i realy like in spaz and would like to see something like this in starfarer, maybe a bit more realistic aproach
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:59:05 PM by Darkreaver1980 »

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Explosion shockwaves!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »

Ship death explosions do deal damage, but yeah, having shockwave effects (also for projectiles, hint hint) with some nice knockback for frigates & fighters would be really cool.

Erebos

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 03:55:53 AM »

I'm not sure that it would be more realistic; shock waves require a medium to propagate through, such as air (the nebulae in Starfarer might count). However, if you can read this without your eyes glazing over – I can't – maybe you can prove me wrong.

Of course, none of that matters, and I think it would be a pretty cool mechanic. I suggest leaving the damage dealt more or less as is, lest it spoil too many victories.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:59:20 AM »

it looks pretty, and its not really a shockwave in the sense of energy moving through a slower/static media as much as a rapidly expanding shell of matter (plasma & gas mostly) ejected by the explosion. So I think that still works.

Erebos

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 05:18:44 PM »

Sounds good to me.