Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Apogee sensor drones  (Read 2024 times)

Kiloman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Apogee sensor drones
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »

Not sure if this is a bug or not - what is the intended behavior of the Apogee Sensor Drones? No matter whether I put them on Free Roam or Holding Pattern, they just sit lined up next to me like baby ducks. If I get super close to another ship (like 200 su it feels like), then they will peek their heads out and fire off a few shots... but other than that they are completely inactive.

I guess I don't expect them to fly off and engage in active combat like the reaper drone... but a little action (maybe scouting the map, engaging enemies near me at slightly further than spitting distance, etc) would be nice.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Apogee sensor drones
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »

Intended behavior, although it's a bit annoying sometimes :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »

They're not meant to be offensive. They hug you so tightly for their own protection. Their main use is to extend your vision and the range of the Apogee's weaponry.

Kiloman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »

OK, fair enough. I guess I was just expecting some change in behavior between free/holding, and there doesn't appear to be any.. so I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not. It'd be nice if free roam sent them out a ways to go scout or something, even if they didn't engage enemy ships. Or of there's no change in behavior, maybe take away the option and just have them deployed or not.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 08:28:17 PM »

there is a little bit, but their leash range is well within the shield bubble afaik though
mmm.... tartiflette

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:28:12 AM »

They used to have a fairly long leash on roaming, but the result of that was that the AI would put them on roaming and then the drones would die.  At this point, yeah, there's basically no difference between roaming and formation, which is kinda sad.

Maybe I should try to work out a better drone-system-AI sometime.  But don't hold your breath.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.