Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: WAAAASSSSP!  (Read 4976 times)

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
WAAAASSSSP!
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »

So I was playing "Predator or Prey?"

I took my Dominator assault cruiser straight in to engaged the Astral while the carrier and fighters went for objectives.  The Dagger bombers gave me two hits as I approached: one to the Starboard fore and one to the Port aft side.  The battle against the astral was a battle of flux mixed in with multiple torpedo barrages, the Astra falls.  However the rest of my fleet was destroyed and I was heavily damaged.

With low hull, a wave of 12 wasps 2 trident torpedo bombers and an Omen point defense frigate came after me.  They quickly sent my flux up high, forcing me to vent, however my guns took out the Omen a few wasps and both bombers.  My hull was down to 100.  The remaining 10 wasps flew over me again and again trying to get around my shields, guns shooting every direction as the wasps flew over me at point blank range.  A large number of them exploding into a fine mist.  

With 5 hull and a single wasp, it turns and does some heroic suicide run directly lining it up to fly past both the Starboard Fore and Aft Port hull breeches.

I just lost to a single heavily damaged wasp.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:59:03 PM by Qloos »

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: WAAAASSSSP!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »

Wasps are my favorite fighter..

I would have been so mad...

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »

thats the sort of thing that makes me love this game although i'd rage at that too if it happened to me. Victory is never assured.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »

You don't really need to raise your shields against the wasps. The dominator class has enough armor to soak up their damage all day. They are there mainly to defend against missiles. Otherwise, keep the shields down until you really need them to turn that flux efficiency into killing power to kill off whatever comes at you at the first fly by.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

AdmiralMaelstrom

• Lieutenant
  • When death approaches, fire another volley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:24:47 AM »

I could imagine a troll face on the wasp as he went for you exposed hull...
Whatever it takes, no matter the cost.

jareddm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:20:32 AM »

I might be remembering incorrectly but putting your shields up for the Dominator may actually be a detriment.  The Wasps will still increase your flux and if you happen to overload, I'm pretty sure their lasers can start doing hull damage even if your armor is still solid.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 02:13:17 PM »

You don't really need to raise your shields against the wasps. The dominator class has enough armor to soak up their damage all day. They are there mainly to defend against missiles. Otherwise, keep the shields down until you really need them to turn that flux efficiency into killing power to kill off whatever comes at you at the first fly by.

That's true, but when your armor is down like the OP's was shields are your only option to try and prevent hull damage in the exposed areas.  Hilarious story though.  Reminds me of that Awing in return of the jedi.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »

That's true, but when your armor is down like the OP's was shields are your only option to try and prevent hull damage in the exposed areas.  Hilarious story though.  Reminds me of that Awing in return of the jedi.

Indeed, and also Alex will be adding in the whole "fighter crashes into bridge" mechanic if a fighter gets it's engines disabled somehow and is pointing at a ship, it is gonna be pretty sweet once that is in the game.   ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »

if its engines are disabled... then how would it thrust to the bridge (or ship, for that matter)?

I think you mean "if the engines are disabled and its trajectory (not facing) intersects an enemy non-fighter ship [it would turn itself into a projectile class object and provide a kinetic hazard, like debris or asteroids]"

AdmiralMaelstrom

• Lieutenant
  • When death approaches, fire another volley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »

It would be awesome to have a dozen wasp units in a single fight with an Astral carrier, they are tough little buggers. Basically what I'm saying is: I can't wait for this next patch!  ;D
Whatever it takes, no matter the cost.

Kilvanya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:48:49 PM »

I'm going to make a drone faction, the only thing they field is/are massive fighter/bomber swarms
so like this:
-Small-
15 Fighter Sqds
5 Bomber Sqds
-Medium-
30 Fghtr Sqds
10 Bmbr Sqds
-Large-
50 Fghtr Sqds
20 Bmbr Sqds
-EPIC-
120 Fghtr Sqds
40 Bmbr Sqds
10 Trollolol Experimentals (Armed w/ 0 reload speed missiles + 999999 ammo + 12 or more launchers)

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »

I'm going to make a drone faction, the only thing they field is/are massive fighter/bomber swarms
so like this:
-Small-
15 Fighter Sqds
5 Bomber Sqds
-Medium-
30 Fghtr Sqds
10 Bmbr Sqds
-Large-
50 Fghtr Sqds
20 Bmbr Sqds
-EPIC-
120 Fghtr Sqds
40 Bmbr Sqds
10 Trollolol Experimentals (Armed w/ 0 reload speed missiles + 999999 ammo + 12 or more launchers)

There is a custom mission someone made that puts a random unit vs another random unit... many times i have played with bombers and they so desperatly need carriers often i completly destroy the enemy on first engagment but once i am out of ammo i am screwed... i would review your fleets to have some carriers in them :)

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »

There is a custom mission someone made that puts a random unit vs another random unit... many times i have played with bombers and they so desperatly need carriers often i completly destroy the enemy on first engagment but once i am out of ammo i am screwed... i would review your fleets to have some carriers in them :)

Very good point, I noticed the same thing while playing that mission.

I think the Odyssey is going to be an extremely fun ship to have, because of how it is a battlecruiser with a flight deck for those bombers, pretty awesome!    ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.