Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hyperspace oddity  (Read 1992 times)

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Hyperspace oddity
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:09:00 AM »

Right now Hyperspace is kind of dull for such an otherworldly looking place. What I suggest is that occasionally things get weird.

Perhaps sometimes shields could just cease functioning or weapons will randomly shut down as if low on CR or perhaps all energy weapons only take 50% of the flux usually required. Just some things that would greatly change how fleet battles in hyperspace would behave compared to normal space.

Dayshine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperspace oddity
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »

I think this is a great idea.

Things I've been playing around with that could be cool:
-Gravitational pull from nearby gravity wells.
-Random spatial distortions (black/white holes)
-Areas that damage or emp ships (electrical storms?)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »

Space DragonsTM!
Spoiler
[close]

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »

Personally i'd be happy with just slowing down the inertia of fleets in hyperspace to actually feel like another 'space' and not just a 'normal space' superimposed upon another one. Hyperspace needs some gameplay impact aside from fuel use and space contraction. Sluggier fleet movements on the 'world map' would go towards that, as would gravitational pull from nearby wells, as Dayshine mentioned or some weird effects that paint another layer on combat and maybe gives rise to 'hyperspace pirates' as a breed which tactics only work in hyperspace.

On that note, i don't know if the space between systems is 'mapped' and can actually be accessed with just moving one way for a long time, but if so, i'd like that when you run out of fuel you just drop into normal space from wherever you are and forced to 'walk' all the way back, with all the dangers that presents. (scuttling ships to conserve supply and such)

Since so far, fuel is given minimal afterthought. Worst case scenario, i just get dropped down near a planet in a system.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:41:05 PM by Cosmitz »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »

I am fine with hyperspace the way it is.  If hyperspace combat needs an effect, I would rather have everything speed up, as if everything played back at 2x (or so) speed.  Combat is slow enough already, slower than other games.  However, I suspect some would not like fast-forward hyperspace.

miro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »

I like the idea of there being weird forces in effect, say you're flying around, then you get shunted sideways by a force represented visually with an eddy or something in the background. Something to make hyperspace cooler.
Hey brah.