Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Should missiles be able to fire while overloaded or venting?

Yay
- 2 (14.3%)
Nay
- 12 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Missile firing and venting/overload  (Read 2789 times)

Nooblies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Missile firing and venting/overload
« on: September 19, 2013, 02:11:44 AM »

Currently in the 0.6a patch it is possible to fire missiles while your ship is venting or overloaded. While this is currently considered a bug, I feel that it is actually a fun feature that helps further distinguish missiles from other weapon types. It also adds utility and interesting tactical choices to missile use, for example using an annihilator swarm as cove while venting. Lorewise it also makes sense, as missiles currently don't require and flux investment in firing and hence could be thought of as separate to the more flux inhibited ballistic and energy weapons.

As such, I feel that such a feature adds an interesting element to combat and helps distinguish missiles, and so would request that such a feature be left in. Added a poll to see what the general consensus on the way missiles currently work is.

Modest

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Missile firing and venting/overload
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 02:22:06 AM »

Didn't know about it! :) I rarely use missiles at all (exept begining of game, where we are fighting in frigates 1 vs 1, or 1 vs 3 max), but I like it, and would like to see that implemented full (so that AI know that it may use missiles while venting or being overloaded).

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 02:54:51 AM »

Let's think about this for a sec.
When venting, you are removing flux and disabling your turrets and hardpoints for a while.
These turrets and hardpoints require energy to fire their ammunition and have said ammunition leave at a velocity/intensity that will reach and damage the enemy ships.
Missiles, however, do not need to be propelled out of a tube as they have their own form of propulsion.
Whilst it is advantageous to have the missiles shunted out of their racks/tubes/pods and already be moving at a velocity, thus not requiring fuel to launch and giving them more range, the constant use of this effect could cause wear and tear on the ships. (think of the damage caused to the pod/rack/tube by the flaming exhaust of the missile)
So, I propose that the captains, knowing of the effects of these missiles, would coat the missile launch bays in some form of flame protectant to reduce this damage cause by missiles launching while venting. However, the missiles use up a significant amount of fuel in their takeoff phase and also leave the ship at a lower velocity.

TL;DR If you launch a missile while venting, it should have a lower initial speed or take longer to reach max speed and it should have a lower range (70-80%)
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »

Currently in the 0.6a patch it is possible to fire missiles while your ship is venting or overloaded. While this is currently considered a bug, I feel that it is actually a fun feature that helps further distinguish missiles from other weapon types. It also adds utility and interesting tactical choices to missile use, for example using an annihilator swarm as cove while venting. Lorewise it also makes sense, as missiles currently don't require and flux investment in firing and hence could be thought of as separate to the more flux inhibited ballistic and energy weapons.

As such, I feel that such a feature adds an interesting element to combat and helps distinguish missiles, and so would request that such a feature be left in. Added a poll to see what the general consensus on the way missiles currently work is.

oh wow, didint knew about that ! but im reeeaaally liking the idea.
i can already picture myself putting annihilators on my lashers to provide covering fire during venting (ive always hated missiles before. this additional option make it sounds fun)

extensive testing should be done with this idea

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »

This bug has huge consequence for the Onslaught, Dominator, and to a lesser extent, the Enforcer. The Onslaught/Dominator can pack 4x/3x medium Annihilator pods, which provide a continuous stream of rockets. Especially against high-tech foes, the rockets are enough to keep PD very busy or at least force shields up even while the Onslaught/Dominator is venting, making them much more difficult to take out.

As I usually take the Onslaught, Dominator, or Enforcer as my flagship, it's helped immensely, although I'm not sure if this mechanic is overall desirable in the game.

TL;DR If you launch a missile while venting, it should have a lower initial speed or take longer to reach max speed and it should have a lower range (70-80%)

I'm a bit against this sort of thing because it seems like another hidden mechanic that adds complexity but doesn't really change how you'd use the missiles tactically (especially with Annihilators, which are basically slow and unguided already anyway).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:11:14 PM »

I like it.  Missiles do not buildup flux when fire, and they need all the help they can get.

EDIT - This feature should be more easily accessible to the player before he finds out the hard way.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:12:56 PM by Megas »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 03:17:36 PM »

Yeah... totally a bug, fixed for 0.6.1a, and it's not coming back :)

Something that completely breaks the "venting flux = vulnerable" rule - which is central to combat - is a bad, bad idea. I could see a skill perk or something similar doing this, perhaps, but as a core rule? Definitely not. It'd break everything.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 04:55:50 AM »

Since I support more perks per skill rather than just the 5/10 we have now for most things, perhaps this could be a rank-3 perk for the missile skill then? (Safety Overrides(3): Can fire missiles while venting or overloaded, but they have a shorter flight time and slower travel speed) - something like that?

Then the player is made aware of the downsides when they level missiles to that rank.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 10:11:45 AM »

@Alex:  Totally agree.  It, er, made combat in Vacuum, where there are lots of zero-Flux weapons... interesting ;)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack