Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What is the point of the limit on fleetwide repairs?  (Read 2273 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
What is the point of the limit on fleetwide repairs?
« on: September 17, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »

In case someone doesn't know: Repairs on your ships can only be accomplished with the supplies that are left after all other needs that count towards LR (crew, maintenance, over capacity) have been satisfied. In other words, if all your Logistics Capability (the blue bar) points are used, you can do (almost) no repairs. "Almost", because emergency repairs for 5 supplies/day are always possible, more with skill bonus.

The direct effect of this is easy to spot, it discourages you from using all your logistic capabilities for ships. But why that is a desirable effect, I don't quite get. It's not as if it would be a real alternative to invest skill points into more Logistic Capability only to get more repair speed, not while other skills/using more ships offer much better revenue.

After all, it is quite the complication, it would be far easier to understand for the player if ships would just repair as fast as they can, like they regenerate CR. So, I'm sure there is a good reason for this, I just don't see it yet.

Alex? Anybody else got an idea?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What is the point of the limit on fleetwide repairs?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »

One of the things the logistics system does provide a continuum of options between "small, well maintained fleet" and "larger, less well maintained fleet", especially when you start getting into LR values less than 100%. Extra repairs for under-utilizing your logistics rating is part of that, and I suspect that if you're out in the field and full repairs aren't a click away, that'll take on extra importance.

It's not as if it would be a real alternative to invest skill points into more Logistic Capability only to get more repair speed, not while other skills/using more ships offer much better revenue.

I think that's more a question of relative skill balance rather than whether the mechanic is desirable or not.

After all, it is quite the complication, it would be far easier to understand for the player if ships would just repair as fast as they can, like they regenerate CR. So, I'm sure there is a good reason for this, I just don't see it yet.

Almost all supply consumption (except for emergency repairs) plays into logistics, it would be weird to completely exempt repairs from that. But, you don't want the repairs to factor into the logistics rating, because then you have the max CR going down when there are repairs going on, and things get very fiddly with lots of "suspend repairs" toggling resulting in optimal supply consumption. Hence, emergency repairs + a bonus for being under capacity.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »

I had no idea about any of this!  I already have trouble not exceeding logistics, even with some points in Leadership.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »

Mh. OK, makes sense as groundwork for future balancing. As is, I don't see me letting much room there intentionally, but as you say, once there is actually deep space...

What I'd suggest though, is a visual differentiation in the logistic capability bar between the hard factors (crew, maintenance, over capacity) and the flexible extra repair consumption. Maybe a different shade for the soft part of the bar or something. At the moment you can't see at a glance if you can afford to buy new ships or crew without your LR dropping. It would also help with picking up on that mechanic in the first place.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »

Oh, and thanks for answering so quickly!