Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: make retreating enemy ships with ZERO CR suffer engine malfunctions  (Read 2277 times)

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Right now then you fleet consists of single hound and pursue for example 2 enemy hounds with zero CR you can barely catch them near the edge of the screen. Unlike your ship they perfectly fine with fully powered engines ( super AI autopilot ? ) even with zero combat readiness. Also for ships with zero combat capability they start at the center of the map while your "pursuing" ship crawling from bottom of the battle area and can barely catch them at the rear end of the map. As a result second ship is certainly free to disengage as you disable first ship. So in short - we dont supposed to attack 2+ enemy frigates in one ship? Because if its not possible with 2 ships its even more uneffective with 3 enemy ships or more. Also taking full CR hit for such "pursuit" is not very logical as enemy ships effectively not fighting and can retreat more and more with CR not reduced below zero.  Pyrrhic victory for the player. Also enemy ships which retreat receive experience for this while not being in combat technically.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:38:08 PM by Vind »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: make retreating enemy ships with ZERO CR suffer engine malfunctions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »

Craft with low CR do have engine malfunctions. They also glide, so that's why you can't catch up. Try using unstable injectors to gain that upper hand.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »

They clearly use engines and dont glide. I suppose AI just lucky with engines so ships didnt have any failures with zero CR while in pursue\retreat fight. Still its basically gives AI free escape with such low chance of engine failure.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:41:19 PM »

They already don't get the zero flux bonus, and they can't fight at all; they don't need to be any more defenseless than they already are. You don't need to catch every single Hound fleeing from a battle.

Also, protip: Deploy frigates and fighters from the side of the map during pursuit rounds (click on them twice/three times in the deploy screen).

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:58:52 PM »

I cant deploy anything as in my scenario i have single ship and wasted CR for nothing as you cant catch them both with puny +50 speed bonus. Retreating is too easy and this is a problem. Why waste CR at all if frigate cant catch 2 frigates reliably in pursue battle? I guess i can forget about catching them with a destroyer. One disabled frigate hardly covers CR supply expenses so its is a supply loss anyway. So again its is a 100% loss pursuing 2+ frigates in a same type frigate?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:02:56 PM by Vind »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »

Not sure what kind frigs are we talking about, but if your deploy to the side you should be able to catch at least one

On the other cases... Well... yeah. You're supposed to use FASTER ships to chase, not same speed... Not sure what else to say
mmm.... tartiflette

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »

Can you deploy your frigate from the side in 1 frigate vs 2 frigates retreat battle? Maybe im missing something here.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:12 PM »

yeah... I think.... Right?

*goes off to test

EDIT: setting up a 2v1 frigate retreat is harder than it sounds... you did try double or triple clicking the frig, right?

if you can't it's prob a bug
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:31:24 PM by gunnyfreak »
mmm.... tartiflette

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:12:52 AM »

One disabled frigate hardly covers CR supply expenses so its is a supply loss anyway. So again its is a 100% loss pursuing 2+ frigates in a same type frigate?
One Tempest (most expensive frigate to run this side of Hyperion) costs 7.07 supplies per battle, including crew consumption and excluding repair costs. For Lasher it's only 2.33. I very much doubt a Hound can't drop at least that much in loot.