Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34

Author Topic: Combat Readyness isn't fun..  (Read 151237 times)

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Readyness isn't fun..
« Reply #390 on: September 27, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »

disclaimer: I only got to page 9 before tl:dr-ing this thread, so it's possible that my opinion has already been stated.

I like Combat Readiness. I grew up watching Star Trek, and the CR system seems to hold true to the space battles I used to watch on the telly. How I see it is, at the start of the battle at full CR, the red alert sounds and all hands are on deck. Then during the battle, the ship is taking hits.

Now how Star Trek did it, even if it was only the shields that were hit, you'd have computer panels exploding throwing redshirts here, there and everywhere. This is what I imagine is happening when CR decreases.

As to why ships can't do battles in a row, think about it. You've just come out of a battle, and you've got broken panels and wounded redshirts all over the bridge. You've got to spend some time fixing them (chewing through your supplies), and getting some hyposprays into your redshirts. This takes time, hence the long CR recharge.

Just because your post-battle stats say you didn't lose any guys, doesn't mean they aren't wounded. Likewise, your hull may not be damaged, but exploded panels aren't part of the hull.

And this is why I like CR. It makes me think of the space combats as more 'real'. Consequences, and such-like.

cell

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 27, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »

agree 100% Xalendi.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 28, 2013, 01:39:58 AM »

disclaimer: I only got to page 9 before tl:dr-ing this thread, so it's possible that my opinion has already been stated.

I like Combat Readiness. I grew up watching Star Trek, and the CR system seems to hold true to the space battles I used to watch on the telly. How I see it is, at the start of the battle at full CR, the red alert sounds and all hands are on deck. Then during the battle, the ship is taking hits.

Now how Star Trek did it, even if it was only the shields that were hit, you'd have computer panels exploding throwing redshirts here, there and everywhere. This is what I imagine is happening when CR decreases.

As to why ships can't do battles in a row, think about it. You've just come out of a battle, and you've got broken panels and wounded redshirts all over the bridge. You've got to spend some time fixing them (chewing through your supplies), and getting some hyposprays into your redshirts. This takes time, hence the long CR recharge.

Just because your post-battle stats say you didn't lose any guys, doesn't mean they aren't wounded. Likewise, your hull may not be damaged, but exploded panels aren't part of the hull.

And this is why I like CR. It makes me think of the space combats as more 'real'. Consequences, and such-like.

Sure, to the point where a ship enters combat, doesn't actually do combat or get hit and still gets the same CR reduction or more than one that did? Where the bigger you are the more 'CR' damage you get? The more tech you have or the more effective you are in combat the more 'CR damage' you get? Or how it's being leveraged as a means to average the combat effectiveness of all ships in the same class?

All of this removes the incentive to attain bigger or better ships as there is no such thing as a superior ship in the game, only a ship with a different cost. Does it make sense that ships become more fragile and inefficient as they get bigger?

That's just the start of the arguments we're putting against the overarching effects of CR on the game that have the combined effect of making the game 'less fun'.

Picard could take on a whole fleet of of Onslaught's for breakfast, Paragon's for Lunch and Conquest's for Dinner with the Enterprise E and STILL have the stamina to destroy a Borg with Quantum Torpedoes unlike the hanger queens we have to deal with.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 28, 2013, 02:18:11 AM »

To be fair, the lore of the game says ships are rare, in disrepair, with technology people even forgot how it works. But i do agree, ships should be depliyed just a bit more. How about lowering the minimum Cr needed for capships in battle? Even if it enters battle with engines malfunctioning every few seconds and weapons working intermittently.

Eternity57

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »

Hi Debido !

Still don't know where I can buy it !? they do not appear on pirate, haegemony bases !?

• You have a construction rig, these things have a slow burn, consume a ton of supplies and aren't quite necessary.

First I wondering that it allow to repair quickly then to stop over consumming supplies while I was in space when I return at speed 2 to the base ;-)

By the way I had store each hitech vessels on the abandonned base and I still got trouble to get enough supplies and cash to maintain my little fleet now (venture+tempest+6 squadron of fighters)... approx 51 fleet points and then for sure I no longer be able to strike large fleet... and I no longer have money to maintain so for sure to add other larger lotech ships to get more assault capacity....

my means is the game do not really allow to change your fleet during the game when you go out of money ... need to restart from scratch !?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:27:03 AM by Eternity57 »
Always look at the bright side of life

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 28, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »

Eternity57:

Take a trip through hyperspace to Askonia ... There you will find the answer to your Ox-less fleet :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Eternity57

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 28, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »

no longer had the capacity to go so far... ;-( but thank you, I will restart from scratch and go to Askonia...

Yes a little restart and some hours later, with your both advices everything goes finely fine !!!

Lesson learn : check supplies required for full repair and supplies requiered by day before to add new ship in your fleet ;-)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:23:52 PM by Eternity57 »
Always look at the bright side of life

Excalibur Bane

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 01, 2013, 12:54:48 AM »

Well, your doing much better then I did at first. I had to mod down the supply costs to just get the hang of the game. I've improved since then. Somewhat anyway. I'm still terrible at combat. :(

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 01, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »

I'm loving the new system. It's a great way to balance hyper-powered ships like that teleporting frigate and the fact that a big fleet now needs freighters to gather up all the loot and provide supplies to keep everything running is awesome. I
t did however expose the lack of a fast freighter - something to keep up with a frigate wolfpack (maybe with a couple of tugs and a single fast cruiser flagship) and not slow it down. It might fit those burn-drive equipped freighters if they got a higher burn speed, or maybe it just needs a small fast freighter with appropriately smaller cargo space and supply cost.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 01, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »

or maybe it just needs a small fast freighter with appropriately smaller cargo space and supply cost.
You mean a Hound?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 01, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »

Although it carries more than other frigates, Hound does not have enough cargo capacity for that task.  That is, multiple Hounds are not as efficient as bigger ships.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 01, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »

That is, multiple Hounds are not as efficient as bigger ships.
Well... good.  Because otherwise there'd be no point in using the larger ships, and that'd be just wrong.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 03, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »

You mean a Hound?

A Hound is clearly a combat vessel that happens to have above average cargo space. It's more like a mini buffalo 2 than a mini buffalo.

Freighters already decrease in per-supply efficiency as they get smaller - that's good. But the freighter progression stops at Buffalo/Gemini/Thatotherone. It should probably continue one size increment smaller with the appropriate reduction in efficiency and increase in speed.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 03, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »

If we're talking freighters, the Gemini is king. Enough cargo to handle a small fleet that can take down most fleets out there minus system defences, a fully functional flight deck and not all that wimpy hardpoint setup allowing it to still be useful to deploy sometimes instead of just being used as a stat-padder.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 03, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »

Oh yes.  Gemini are great.  Good cargo capacity for its size, flight deck, and can mount heavy mauler and hypervelocity driver to snipe at things.  Really puts the Condor to shame.  As for hauling cargo, my two go-to choices are either Atlas for sheer cargo capacity or Gemini for a carrier fleet.  Both need Oxen to keep up with frigates.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34