Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34

Author Topic: Combat Readyness isn't fun..  (Read 151672 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Readyness isn't fun..
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2013, 07:00:49 AM »

>After a battle

Your ships are restoring their CR back to full. If they've taken damage, then they will also be repairing back to full as well.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2013, 07:57:37 AM »

I found after a battle that my supplies per day goes up to like 30 a day! With no real understanding or indication of why

If you mouse over the supply use indicator, it'll give you a breakdown of what exactly is using supplies.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2013, 10:11:45 AM »

Oh, I see, So that massive drain is due to them shuffling supplies between ships to restore armor etc?
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »

The most annoying thing I've found with the update is there is no real indication as to why supplies go down excessively.

I found after a battle that my supplies per day goes up to like 30 a day! With no real understanding or indication of why

I think it's for replenishing CR and/or repairs

thebrucolac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »

I initially was unsure about the CR mechanic, but once I'd played a while and saw how logistics, CR and cargo capacity tied into each other, I became a big fan. CR can be tied into a lot of new game mechanics, and I like having to make choices about how to deploy my fleets. The supply mechanics give me a whole new appreciation of the Hound, which has great capacity for its size and is fast enough to chase down retreating enemies. I am trying out fleet combinations I never would have bothered with before, and it has opened up the game for me. CR is the restriction that allows you to define yourself within the game, and is an excellent core mechanic. It might need tweaking, but I hope it is here to stay.

As an aside, the CR reduction for participating in combat may seem extreme, but keep in mind that the ship is straining its systems to travel as quickly as possible, shoot quickly, and maintain energy fields. The universe of starsector is one where a great deal of knowledge has been lost and even experienced crew don't necessarily understand how their equipment does what it does. Complex equipment cannot be run ragged over and over again and maintain effectiveness. I found my new logistical vulnerabilities fun and satisfying. And while the AI does not have the same supply concerns, their CR concerns mean that you can harry them to death, and really be a raider, which is great!

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »

The most annoying thing I've found with the update is there is no real indication as to why supplies go down excessively.

I think it's for replenishing CR and/or repairs

Ah, Gotcha, Cheers :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »

CR is fine. Supplies are killing this game. They add too much unnecessary bother about them and limit possibilities while providing no fun challenges to overcome.

CR is fine except for the part where it has any consequences?

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »

What's starting to bother me about CR a bit is the fact that if by some reason your max CR drops, your CR also drops, but if it increases again instantly, it stays at the same level, basically 'forgetting' the preparation. I've seen this happen with long haul over-cargo, crew decreases and the most obvious, mothballing.

It takes up to a week to get a cruiser at full CR but it takes an instant to mothball it and loose all the CR?

I'd say it would be common sense for CR to drop at say 2/3x the level it gains it. 5% CR gain per day, 10/15% cr loss maximum per day due to factors that drop maximum CR, including mothballing. To prevent abuse, you cannot 'cancel' mothballing until it reaches 0 and re-activate it.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »

Ships whose maximum CR have dropped below their current CR do lose it gradually other than Mothballing.

And no, I would not want Mothballing to have my ship locked in 'mothball' state for a week before I could even begin trying to reactivate it.

Psygnosis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »

Ships whose maximum CR have dropped below their current CR do lose it gradually other than Mothballing.

And no, I would not want Mothballing to have my ship locked in 'mothball' state for a week before I could even begin trying to reactivate it.

so what youre saying is you want to exploit the Mothball state so you can get a ship to max CR, mothball and then avoid the (minimal) upkeep required. so you can just re-fuel and re-crew the thing right before a battle?

Perhaps a better soloution would be a 75-90% reduction in CR on a ship that has been mothballed.
CR is both the crew's setup and ships hardware being prepared for fights. you could not dump 60 people into a ship and say "there combat ready!"

ScienceLion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
My take on why people feel CR isn't fun
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »

The game, as is, is severely off balance. Right now, the decisions people typically make in space games either do not apply or are detrimental to gameplay.

You can get more than enough money to buy a battleship before your character is able to sustain a battleship's CR requirements. People want to buy a big killer battleship as soon as they have enough money, but struggle with keeping a fleet afloat with enough supplies.

Why do they want a big ship as flagship? Because the AI pretty much controls the rest of the ships, and the players generally feel they can control a ship better than the AI, therefore the flagship should be theirs. So why not sink points into leadership? You only start with 3 command points. You can barely lead a fleet with three instructions only. And with 1 aptitude point per 4 skill points with only 3 leadership skills, you have an extra skill point you can't really make useful. So put more skill points into your flagship. Which can't survive without a supporting fleet. And now you're stuck with a game you can't win at.

You can't play 0.6a with the same typical decisions you make in other games. And it's hard to think "What do I need to do to make this AI fleet be  an effective and sustainable killing machine?" instead of "How do I make my ship better at exploding other ships?"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2013, 07:51:24 PM »

(@ScienceLion: I appreciate your take on it, but not sure it needs a separate thread. Merged.)

Musaab

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »

I don't understand why everyone is having so much trouble with supplies...I have so many, I just sell off the extras to get more epic ships.

It's only a issue at the beginning really, and not so much if you can manage it.

LostInTheWired

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »

I have literally never had problems with supplies yet.  I try to keep my logistic point usage down to about 50% and just overflow my cargo with everything I can fit, which is usually everything since I pump tons of points into leadership.  I can field a strong force that can kill the pirate plunder fleets very easily, way under the amount of ships or ordinance points they use.  I even usually use a Madusa, despite how expensive they are to field, and I generally never go under.  Hell, with how expensive supplies are, I'm usually 400,000 credits up by the 4 hour mark.  Likely less.

I just picked my battles at the beginning.  Ran a Wolf for my starter ship.  I can easily take out the buffalos, which are nearly free supplies.

Not to say the CR mechanic couldn't use work.  It is arguable what it adds to the game at this time.  I may see if I can make random events depending on your CR ratings as a mod.  Might make it more interesting.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2013, 05:04:16 AM »

You can't play 0.6a with the same typical decisions you make in other games. And it's hard to think "What do I need to do to make this AI fleet be  an effective and sustainable killing machine?" instead of "How do I make my ship better at exploding other ships?"
Well yeah, that's the point of the game. Starsector isn't a space shooter, it's a mixture of that and a strategy game where you command a fleet. Sure, you can play it as a space shooter, and I do, but it's pretty clearly not supposed to be played that way. Of course you're going to run into problems if you try to play a game as something else than it is. I for one view the fact that you have to learn to play this game as something positive. If you didn't have to learn anything, that would mean the game's exactly the same as every other space game, and what's the point of that?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34