Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

which do you think is the better capital ship?

onslaught
- 17 (26.2%)
paragon
- 11 (16.9%)
odyssey
- 11 (16.9%)
conquest
- 19 (29.2%)
atlas
- 2 (3.1%)
astral
- 3 (4.6%)
prometheus
- 2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: favourite capital ship  (Read 16220 times)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: favourite capital ship
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 10:55:01 AM »

Conquest, rated pure on looks. :)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »

Conquest. Not sure why. They are all dang fun to play around with.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »

Favorite capital ship: Onslaught, based almost entirely on looks.
Favorite capital ship to fly: Conquest, if and only if I have a character that's at least level 25-ish.  Otherwise Paragon.
Best capital ship: Very debatable, but I'd vote for the Paragon, with second place going to the Onslaught.  The Paragon is nigh-indestructible, while the Onslaught just demolishes anything it gets its sights on.  I do think the Onslaught could use a bit more dissipation - but it's a monster while its flux holds out, and most things won't live that long.
Best cruiser-wannabe: Conquest; it's decently mobile, and fights like someone duct taped a Dominator cruiser to each side.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

rex

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 05:10:15 PM »

Once you've level up some. I would recommend trying out the Astral in the new version. You can really get your fighter spam on, once you can manage the supply costs, and it is quite cathartic.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »

Obviously you don't understand how the Onslaught works.

The vast majority of its firepower is focused to the front. Its turning speed is very poor. The Conquest can maneuver and STAY behind the Onslaught, gut its engines, and reduce it to scrap whilst taking minimal damage. Only the opening volleys from the Onslaught do any considerable damage.

Most of the time (in a 1v1 simulation anyway) by the time you manage to get behind the Onslaught with your Conquest you will be clinging to life.  Though the Conquest is indeed more manuverable, it isn't so much of a difference that you can loop around outside of the Onslaught's range and then cut in behind it.  No, you have to burn past it at point blank range and THEN use maneuvering thrusters and cut in behind it hard.  That will work, but most of your weapons will be offline from the pounding you took in getting there.  This assumes a 1v1 in a sim where the Onslaught isn't distracted by anything else of course.  Real battles are totally different and the Conquest is great for the mobility it offers.  As Gunnyfreak said, it's great for controlling the battlefield vs smaller ships.  I voted Onslaught though; being able to tank hits on the armor with no need for shields is very satisfying.  Not to mention the firepower. 

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 05:28:04 PM »

Actually, you can beat the onslaught by doing the dash right as she burndrives towards you. That doesnt happen reliably at the best of times though, and is rendered useless in a fleet action where.enforcers are watching her back
mmm.... tartiflette

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »

Most of the time (in a 1v1 simulation anyway) by the time you manage to get behind the Onslaught with your Conquest you will be clinging to life.  Though the Conquest is indeed more manuverable, it isn't so much of a difference that you can loop around outside of the Onslaught's range and then cut in behind it.  No, you have to burn past it at point blank range and THEN use maneuvering thrusters and cut in behind it hard.  That will work, but most of your weapons will be offline from the pounding you took in getting there.  This assumes a 1v1 in a sim where the Onslaught isn't distracted by anything else of course.  Real battles are totally different and the Conquest is great for the mobility it offers.  As Gunnyfreak said, it's great for controlling the battlefield vs smaller ships.  I voted Onslaught though; being able to tank hits on the armor with no need for shields is very satisfying.  Not to mention the firepower.

Right. That, and all things being equal with both the Conquest and Onslaught outfitted with ITU, the built-in Thermal Particle Cannons have extraordinary range that'll prevent the Conquest from getting behind the Onslaught without first taking large amounts of damage and/or disabling many of its weapons. In a capital v. capital 1-on-1 fight, the Onslaught is tough to match, even with it in AI hands. That said, its extraordinarily slow speed, low maneuverability, and high deployment cost make it pretty tough to deploy economically.

Nevertheless, I voted for the Onslaught.

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »

Right. That, and all things being equal with both the Conquest and Onslaught outfitted with ITU, the built-in Thermal Particle Cannons have extraordinary range that'll prevent the Conquest from getting behind the Onslaught without first taking large amounts of damage and/or disabling many of its weapons. In a capital v. capital 1-on-1 fight, the Onslaught is tough to match, even with it in AI hands. That said, its extraordinarily slow speed, low maneuverability, and high deployment cost make it pretty tough to deploy economically.

Nevertheless, I voted for the Onslaught.

Maulers have the same range as the TPCs and the Conquest has the advantage in maneuvering. If the Onslaught ever uses his burn drive while the Conquest is sitting at the maximum range of his Maulers as he should, the Conquest will dodge and the Onslaught's TPCs become irrelevant. The Onslaught dies to a Conquest behind him.

If both players play perfectly though, it'll be a fight between their respective shields' ability to withstand the enemy's Maulers and TPCs (the latter mostly missing IMO), with the Conquest deciding whether he wants to move into large ballistic weapons range (optimally Storm Needlers) in which case the Onslaught has 1 or 2, the Conquest has 2.

The Storm Needlers force the Onslaught's shields off otherwise it's a near instant overload. The Maulers disable his front facing weapons.

The Conquest has higher flux capacity, twice as much base dissipation but unfortunately 1.4 base flux/dmg as opposed to the Onslaught's 1.0. On top of that, I would say the Onslaught has less spare OP to dump into dissipation than the Conquest.

If I had to put my money on one of those 2 ships in a duel between 2 highly and evenly skilled players, I'd bet on the Conquest.

I also think the Conquest beats a Paragon because the only weapons the Paragon can use that would reach the Conquest are the High Intensity Laser and the Tachyon Lance, both of these choices are rather useless if that's all you can hit your target with, dealing mediocre soft flux damage to a Conquest with extremely good dissipation.
Quote from: Archduke Astro
One of you exhibits humility-impairment syndrome
Aww, you so sweet!

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 12:08:14 AM »

I also think the Conquest beats a Paragon because the only weapons the Paragon can use that would reach the Conquest are the High Intensity Laser and the Tachyon Lance, both of these choices are rather useless if that's all you can hit your target with, dealing mediocre soft flux damage to a Conquest with extremely good dissipation.

Well high intensities and graviton beams with advanced optics have longer range than a storm needler.
You'd be stuck using maulers on a .6 shield unless you decided to get closer at which point you've got the fortress shield to deal with and the combined beams are doing 2520 soft flux to the rubbish 1.4 conquest shield so good luck firing storm needlers.

Also ammo might be an issue. It's pretty hard to outlast a Paragon.

Edit: Bad math. High intensity x4 = 1000 soft flux, 4 gravitons = 800 soft flux vs shields, x1.4 for shield =2520
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:10:04 AM by Borgoid »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 12:14:12 AM »

the thing about a paragon is most of what you can hit IT with are useless... fortress shields, epic efficiency, and near onslaught level armor makes sure of that
mmm.... tartiflette

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 12:18:17 AM »

I forgot about the optics, although a Paragon with HILs and Gravitons is a Paragon specifically fit to 1v1 a Conquest. A Conquest with Storms and Maulers is an extremely versatile fit that also happens to be a huge threat to a Paragon (and everything else). The fortress shield is a non-factor as it prevents the use of weapons and a Conquest with Expanded magazines has a lot of ammo. Depending on the Paragon's setup, perhaps the Conquest would run out of ammo eventually and have to leave.
Aww, you so sweet!

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 12:26:29 AM »

To be fair 4 Intensities and 4 Gravitons is anti-everything. You just have to target one thing at a time.

With regards to fortress shield, if you fire storm needlers at it you'll overheat before the Paragon does :D

Conquest strong-suit isn't really 1v1ing capital ships though so it should probably lose

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 12:29:33 AM »

You don't shoot while the Fortress Shield is up, you dissipate your flux while the Paragon generates hard flux.

I wouldn't use HILs on a Paragon in every day usage. I'd definitely go for Autopulses, otherwise I'll die to the first enemy Paragon I run into because I can't scratch his shields.
Aww, you so sweet!

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:49 AM »

I forgot about the optics, although a Paragon with HILs and Gravitons is a Paragon specifically fit to 1v1 a Conquest. A Conquest with Storms and Maulers is an extremely versatile fit that also happens to be a huge threat to a Paragon (and everything else). The fortress shield is a non-factor as it prevents the use of weapons and a Conquest with Expanded magazines has a lot of ammo. Depending on the Paragon's setup, perhaps the Conquest would run out of ammo eventually and have to leave.

Firing storm needlers vs Paragon means you are within range of it's 2 heavy needlers, so you won't be able to keep shield up, and both your shield and armor will fail faster than Paragon's (especially armor). In fact combination of heavy needlers with tachyon lance will cripple your ship by disabling most weapons even before armor becomes issue... The only way to actually outrange Paragon (unless it has HILs + optics + targeting) are Gauss Cannons, but these are trivial to neutralize with fortress shields even for AI and have very small ammo capacity.

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 12:42:11 AM »

Firing storm needlers vs Paragon means you are within range of it's 2 heavy needlers

Good point, I hadn't thought of that because until recently I've used flak cannons in those universal slots as my Paragon's only PD defense. Lately I've started using burst laser PD a lot so I'd have every reason to fit heavy needlers on the Paragon.

With that kind of setup, the Conquest would have no choice but to stay away from it for the entire battle.
Aww, you so sweet!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4