Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

which do you think is the better capital ship?

onslaught
- 17 (26.2%)
paragon
- 11 (16.9%)
odyssey
- 11 (16.9%)
conquest
- 19 (29.2%)
atlas
- 2 (3.1%)
astral
- 3 (4.6%)
prometheus
- 2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: favourite capital ship  (Read 16283 times)

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
Re: favourite capital ship
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 08:09:37 PM »

Bricked keyboard, I think you might have confused favorite capital ship with best ship...

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »

the question does say which one is the "better" ship... Which can mean the best I suppose

the onslaught's not needing shields means she can dedicate all her flux to firepower, which means a grand total of 3 sh*ttons of shells coming your way per unit time more than the conquest.

put a standard onslaught against an elite conquest on simulation, 5 times out of 4 (yes, I'm %125 sure) the onslaught will destroy the conquest with no problems at all

the conquest is a battlecruiser, meant to be a faster battleship at the cost of defenses meant to chase down and dominate the battlefield against smaller crafts, and she does that beautifully. But against a fully fledged battleship like the onslaught, she doesn't stand much of a chance

the onslaught's massive armor also means anything short of a missile can barely make a dent, and her massive flak profile can destroy any missiles that come near
mmm.... tartiflette

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »

Obviously you don't understand how the Onslaught works.

The vast majority of its firepower is focused to the front. Its turning speed is very poor. The Conquest can maneuver and STAY behind the Onslaught, gut its engines, and reduce it to scrap whilst taking minimal damage. Only the opening volleys from the Onslaught do any considerable damage.

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 08:35:39 PM »

Hmmm, I really like the Odyssey, since it's fast and powerful, and best of all a carrier.

I also really like the Paragon, which you can set up to be quite reminiscent of the death star.

Recently I even finally came to like the Conquest, though I had always found it too fragile before.

But I have to admit that for all my love of the high-tech ships, my favourite ship is the Onslaught.  Kit that thing up with Hellbores and Flak Cannons and it's like the worst part of World War II wrapped in an iron shell of hate and launched into space.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 08:40:34 PM »

Obviously you don't understand how the Onslaught works.

The vast majority of its firepower is focused to the front. Its turning speed is very poor. The Conquest can maneuver and STAY behind the Onslaught, gut its engines, and reduce it to scrap whilst taking minimal damage. Only the opening volleys from the Onslaught do any considerable damage.

yes, unfortunately in simulations that's not how it goes. Then we get into piloting skills, but without multiplayer that will never work out, then there's any other number of factors that can tip the scale in anyone's favor, which is why I'm arguing that there's no definitive "best ship" and it's all based on "personal preference"

I'm not arguing that the onslaught is superior, just that she is not inferior. Something Bricked Keyboard seems to believe

Also do not make assumptions about me not understanding how onslaughts work and add obviously to that... ya, kinda hurtful
mmm.... tartiflette

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 09:03:05 PM »

I stand with gunny on this one, there is definitely no "best" ship."Best" is purely preferential, the Atlas and the Prometheus are both shite in combat, but without them really big fleets are harder to manage. The Astral lack a lot of firepower but it brings so many fighters to the party that its individual combat is null, as for the Gemini, 3 individual Gemini are a much easier target for any frigate than a single super carrier. The Paragon is all about it's ship system, and advanced shields, it can literally take hits all day, and then shoot a lot of hot plasma right back at it's target. The Onslaught in one on one combat beat practically any other capital due to its massive forward firepower and its high armor, unless the onslaught is distracted by something (ie not one on one combat) I've never seen an onslaught lose a fight to a conquest. As for the conquest it is absolutely SUPERB at hunting down anything smaller than it, cruisers beware where the Conquest tread. And my least favorite ship the Odyssey is an excellent flagship for a well rounded fleet, bringing a flight deck for fighters, and still being strong enough to fight pretty much any ship head to head, although use caution when that other ship is a paragon or an onslaught, or hell any capital ship.

All that said, my favorite capital is the Astral, personally i love fighter fleets and seeing hundreds of little fighters buzz all my enemies to death. With a proper fleet of fighters supporting it, the Astral can literally beat anything.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »

Good grief... BrickedKeyboard where to start.

Have you considered the % of weapons that the ship can fire simultaneously at a single target? Factors include but are not limited to:

Range, Projectile speed, yaw speed of the ship, slot size, weapon arc, hard points, damage/flux ratio on shields, flux capacity, OP total, OP total relative to weapon slots allowing for hull mods.

Have you considered the longevity of the ship over the course of a long fight? Factors include but are not limited to:

Weapon type, ammo consumption of various slot types, shield factors including ratio as well as type, flux capacity, PD potential, hull mods, armor.

Have you considered alpha strike damage? Ability to absorb large bursts of damage? Ability to engage multiple large targets simultaneously? The total value of a hangar deck?

The list really goes on and on.

Not only that but this isn't the place for you to wave around lazy theory. Feel free to make a forum post all of your own for that.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »

it's like the worst part of World War II wrapped in an iron shell of hate and launched into space.

new favorite quote

BrickedKeyboard

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 12:46:38 AM »

Have you considered the % of weapons that the ship can fire simultaneously at a single target? Factors include but are not limited to:

Range, Projectile speed, yaw speed of the ship, slot size, weapon arc, hard points, damage/flux ratio on shields, flux capacity, OP total, OP total relative to weapon slots allowing for hull mods.

Have you considered the longevity of the ship over the course of a long fight? Factors include but are not limited to:

Weapon type, ammo consumption of various slot types, shield factors including ratio as well as type, flux capacity, PD potential, hull mods, armor.

Have you considered alpha strike damage? Ability to absorb large bursts of damage? Ability to engage multiple large targets simultaneously? The total value of a hangar deck?

Not only that but this isn't the place for you to wave around lazy theory. Feel free to make a forum post all of your own for that.

Most of those factors are not relevant.  What is relevant is that the onslaught gets enough ordinance points that if you fill it to the gills with flux vents, it actually has a reasonable amount of dissipation.  And the extra armor and HP on the onslaught seem to make it survive quite a few more hits, as I found out the hard way when I took on the system defense fleet that has 3 onslaughts.

I had 2 Conquests, nicely equipped, and while I did beat all 3 onslaughts, I lost the AI controlled conquest and it took help from other ships.  The frontal damage on the onslaught is pretty nasty, and even when you shoot them in the back, they take forever to die.

Joush

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 05:55:21 AM »

I like the style of the Onslaught, it was a lot of fun in the old version to take one pirate hunting alone. Of course, these days it's next to impossible to profitably operate an onslaught.

The Oddessy is a lot of fun and it's pretty to watch in action, putting on a hell of a light show.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »

I really enjoy the Odyssey.  With the Front Shield Emitter I'm able to have a complete bubble shield and my assortment of PD lasers the Odyssey becomes easily defensible while still having great offense because of the three large energy mounts + High Energy Focus.  Add the defense and offense with a flight deck and the ship suddenly becomes a great fit for any fighter fleet as it provides great cover for fighters coming to land/repair, while still being able to put large amounts of pressure on the enemy ships.

I'm going to have to take a deeper look into the Odyssey, seems like a good mix for my play styles
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Joush

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 06:22:31 AM »

I really enjoy the Odyssey.  With the Front Shield Emitter I'm able to have a complete bubble shield and my assortment of PD lasers the Odyssey becomes easily defensible while still having great offense because of the three large energy mounts + High Energy Focus.  Add the defense and offense with a flight deck and the ship suddenly becomes a great fit for any fighter fleet as it provides great cover for fighters coming to land/repair, while still being able to put large amounts of pressure on the enemy ships.

I'm going to have to take a deeper look into the Odyssey, seems like a good mix for my play styles

Odyssey on Odyssey one on one violence is rather funny as well. They don't have enough firepower, in many variants, to drop the shields of the other ship. It's a light show until judgement day if nobody retreats.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 06:39:31 AM »

Haha, that's something I'd have to see!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 06:53:17 AM »

I've yet seen an Onslaught drop to any other capital ship 1V1 both in combat and in logistics, thus my long time favorite, its a second generation piece of junk that you can deploy over and over and over and it still works, and will keep on working until the day it dies.Long live Low-Tech! none of the other capitals are as reliable as this thing when it comes to long time service in my opinion.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »

Most of those factors are not relevant.  What is relevant is that the onslaught gets enough ordinance points that if you fill it to the gills with flux vents, it actually has a reasonable amount of dissipation.  And the extra armor and HP on the onslaught seem to make it survive quite a few more hits, as I found out the hard way when I took on the system defense fleet that has 3 onslaughts.

I had 2 Conquests, nicely equipped, and while I did beat all 3 onslaughts, I lost the AI controlled conquest and it took help from other ships.  The frontal damage on the onslaught is pretty nasty, and even when you shoot them in the back, they take forever to die.

You took an entirely one-dimensional analysis of the capital ships evaluating them on nothing other than a single factor that determines sustained damage output (but only in combination with several other factors, many of which are difficult to quantify, that you ignored completely) and surprisingly concluded that the glass-cannon gunboat was the best capital based on your metrics!

Killing the Hegemony fleet doesn't prove any kind of point.  You don't even need capitals to slug it out with them and the AI doesn't get to use the kind of fits players do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4