Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Command shuttle left behind at battle start  (Read 2791 times)

Flunky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Command shuttle left behind at battle start
« on: September 14, 2013, 06:18:33 PM »

If you don't deploy your flagship in battle and start by transferring command to a different ship, the ships burn into battle while your widdle shuttle huffs and puffs after them at regular speed. Intended?

Using the latest version of starfarer.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Command shuttle left behind at battle start
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:07:32 PM »

If you don't deploy your flagship in battle and start by transferring command to a different ship, the ships burn into battle while your widdle shuttle huffs and puffs after them at regular speed. Intended?

I believe it's intended. You probably shouldn't be transferring command at the start of a fight.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:54:18 PM »

I believe it's intended. You probably shouldn't be transferring command at the start of a fight.

What if you didn't deploy your flagship Onslaught into a pursuit and you want to fly a fast-moving Frigate without waiting 20 seconds for your pod to catch up to it?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »

AFAIK if you wait till the travel burn ends before transferring command, it's much faster.

For a more "proper" fix, see this suggestion thread.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »

Working as intended. Just wait for the initial burn to finish and then transfer command - the shuttle will start close to the destination ship, rather than at the edge of the map.

Edit: ninjaed.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »

What if you didn't deploy your flagship Onslaught into a pursuit and you want to fly a fast-moving Frigate without waiting 20 seconds for your pod to catch up to it?
Just wait for the burn to end silly.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »

Working as intended. Just wait for the initial burn to finish and then transfer command - the shuttle will start close to the destination ship, rather than at the edge of the map.

Edit: ninjaed.

What about problems with exceptionally fast ships?  The Shuttle Pod goes 300 su/s.  It's possible, if impractical, to make ships that have normal out-of-combat cruising speeds higher than that, and even a more reasonably built ship like a Tempest with a speed upgrade will go a steady 290 at zero flux, meaning you'd only be gaining on them by the tiniest margin.

Admittedly, this was always the case, but the new Combat Readiness mechanics coupled with the escape scenario means that players struggling to transfer to very fast ships with their normal flagship off the field is now an ordinary situation that should really be accounted for when you have some more development time.  Just making the shuttle significantly faster so it could gain on frigates would probably be a decent short-term fix.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »

Hmm, yeah. I'll make a note to speed it up.

Flunky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 07:38:45 PM »

Being in the habit of always switching command at battle start (at least in previous patches) if my flagship is sitting out the initial deployment, I probably would have never discovered this without being told. If it's not going to change, then perhaps some in-game notification of this would be swell.