Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Redo Some Weapon SFX  (Read 1399 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Redo Some Weapon SFX
« on: September 14, 2013, 12:34:26 PM »

Disclaimer: Stian, for the most part, the new sounds are very good. However, with the weapons, I feel a lot of them come up short. This is, of course, only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

-Heavy Blaster: Too high-pitched. Really needs some more meat behind the shot.

-Assault Chaingun: Again, sounds too high-pitched, and doesn't seem to have any force behind it.

-Mauler: This sounds like something that belongs in an 8-bit arcade game. It doesn't even sound like a projectile is being fired. The sound for this one is so out of place that it actually discourages me from equipping the weapon to my ships.

-Mjolnir Cannon: Like the first few above, its pitch seems to high, and it doesn't feel like it's shooting a menacing projectile.

-Burst PD lasers (light and heavy): I strongly preferred the old sound over the new one. The old sounds felt like it was squeezing out a satisfyingly high-voltage beam, while the new ones are just an uninteresting click/snap sound.

-Needlers: They just sound like a little snap, and feel absolutely nonthreatening. To be fair, the previous sound was probably worse, in my opinion.

-Pulse lasers / IR Pulse Lasers: Really need some more "oomph" behind them. They sound completely nonthreatening and sort of cheesy, especially the normal pulse laser.

-Thumper: This one made me so sad. In the trailer, the Thumper had such a great new sound. Now it... I don't even know. It doesn't deserve the name "Thumper", that's for sure. Maybe "Pea-shooter".

-Autopulse Laser: Again, just seems like a generic snap/click sound. The old sound might have just been the generic energy weapon sound, but at least it had a good feeling of force when it shot out a huge volley.

-Plasma cannon: This one isn't that bad, but I think it could use some more strength in the lower frequencies.

I think that most of these sound would benefit from this approach: Assume that every projectile weapon is being propelled by an explosion.

And in real-life, they usually are. A bullet being fired from a gun is just being propelled by an explosion down the barrel. It's that feeling of pressure--that explosion of rapidly expanding gasses--that I think a lot of these sounds need.

Additionally, the sound of some of the gun's mechanical interior would be nice to hear--it gives the weapon some personality, rather than just a basic firing sound.

To get an idea of what I mean, take a listen to Far Cry 3's weapon sounds:

Now that I've criticized all those, let me tell you what I think of everything else:

The new explosion and impact sounds are absolutely amazing. It's unbelievably satisfying to cause damage to other ships now, and hearing those perfect "bangs" and creaks when a ship is destroyed is just great. If you can get some of the excellence of your explosion effects into your weapon sounds, it would be amazing.

I love the Hellbore, Gauss Cannon, and Hypervelocity Driver sounds. Really gives them a feeling of force when, for the latter two, you hear that loud "WHIP". Makes me think of a bullet screaming through the air. And the Hellbore's sound does the weapon's name justice: it sounds like a fiery projectile is being shot straight out of hell.

Most of the beams weapons have really nice loop sounds. I sort of miss the fire sounds for them though (IE, the laser goes PEW once you click, and then the beam sound loops). I'd like to see those return in some fashion in the future.

The missile sounds are pretty good as well. I really love the salamander heat-seekers.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Redo Some Weapon SFX
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »

-Thumper: This one made me so sad. In the trailer, the Thumper had such a great new sound. Now it... I don't even know. It doesn't deserve the name "Thumper", that's for sure. Maybe "Pea-shooter".

But the Thumper sounds so cute with it little "wheeooo - dag-dag-dag-dag-dag"....

Uh, what I really came here to say is that we already have a thread for audio feedback here. It you would be so kind as to copy your evaluation over there, that would help keeping things organized and be easier for Stain to see.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Redo Some Weapon SFX
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 01:17:54 PM »

My apologies, didn't see that thread. Feel free to delete this, then.