Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 45

Author Topic: [0.95a] Kadur Remnant 3.2.3 - life support 2021-03-27  (Read 696036 times)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
The Nirvana is just...
« Reply #510 on: October 17, 2020, 07:08:20 PM »

I have started another campaign aligned with Kadur (they actually got nuked by the Hegemony, I am now trying to align myself with Pirates, Luddic Path and Hazard Mining Enterprises) and actually found one of the few Relic ships I love so much (from Tahlan Whipworks I think) I was missing: The Nirvana Battlecruiser.

Oh. My God. It's disgusting.

While the Karma, Samsara (30FP) and that other 11FP one with the spacial warp jump are also very potent they also have definite drawbacks considering their very poor PD defence and a 20 degree shield.

They all have very good armor, repair rate, EMP resistance, mobility enchancing skills, very good (although low for their FP cost) weapon mounts, some EMP discharge while venting or high flux (Nirvana does not have this one) and a spontaneous phase cloak sporadically activating under AI control once you take damage. The Nirvana on the other hand has two special abilities so broken that it would still need a minor nerf even if it was bumped from the current 75 all the way up to 100 fleet points.

Do not think that 3 large and 4 medium mounts pointing at the front are not enough for 100FP. This thing will absolutely butcher 3 Onslaughts fighting it at the same time under AI control if you set it up in a way it correctly exploits all the ship's abilities.

The first, way too gratuitous special skill gives it +200% damage dealt with any weapon after it's done venting. It would be logical to only have it activate at, I don't know, a certain flux threshold (not activating if you vent below 60% flux just to name one) but that is not the case. You can literally vent once you have 10 flux built up and you'll do 300% damage for what feels like 3-4 seconds. Imagine having this ability and with 3 Expanded Magazine Autopulse Lasers. Yikes for everything that exists and lacks a fortress shield.

The second ability is, coming from someone that has around a dozen and a half content mods, the most ridiculous thing in the game. It's not broken, it's pulverized. It's not great, it's orgasmic.
Think of a temporal shell like on the Scarab. Picture it in your mind.
Now imagine this skill adding one, bonkers feature that is the following: everything that your ship does minus the damage it deals and the ammo/missile/charges it depletes from the activation until the end of the ability will be reset to the moment before you activated it, including the position of the ship.

Yes. You heard that right. Engage an Onslaught and:
1)activate the ability as soon as it starts firing upon you
2)not even bother raising your itty bitty 20 degree shield and proceed to eat every piece of ordinance it shoots at you
3)empty all your weapons on that mistake of a battleship be it energy, ballistic or missiles to the limit of your flux capacity
4)the ability ends and your ship immediately teleports back to the spot where you activated it with armor, hull and flux reset to fully healed and 0 respectively
5)repeat the process and delete another enemy from the plain of reality

The amount of engagements I can picture my AI controlled "Yaaah, It's Rewind Time" Nirvana Class Battlecruiser losing are very few, and even then I could just pilot it myself and have it become even more ridiculous. It's so strong I don't actually play it myself anymore. The one I have has 3 D-mods (very bad ones too, Degraded Engines and the one reducing weapon range plus another one) and I almost soloed the Red Planet Encounter wich even had two of the big chungus, 65FP+ mod ships in it.

That "Time Shell" special ability ( I think that's the name anyway) is "fine" as it very and I mean very much justifies that 75FP, but that disgusting damage boost has to go or be heavily nerfed and balanced. You can even discard all sense of shame and microvent just before activating Time Shell and just go full Thanos on anything but the Paragon.

My suggestion? Bump the cost up to 85FP, only have the damage boost activate if you vent above 50% flux capacity and reduce it's bonus to "just" 100%.

Some side notes that hopefully justify this thread being in General Discussion:

Junker ships are amazing. I have cargo ships consuming less than a supply unit A MONTH and giving me 350 cargo space. Their small ships get stronger and stronger the more they get wrecked with their reckless, mostly Overriden designs while the bigger ones with maximum dakka and integrated armor just won't die and do so much damage back! I love them to bits, literally.

I went so crazy with the automatically generated sector in my previous campaign that my laptop took an hour to save. Not kidding. I was planning on posting a review of Kadur Remnants once I got my hands on a Caliph (wich my autocorrect insists on calling "Family", stupid politically correct piece of technoidiotic garbage rahhh) but that will have to wait until I do that in this campaign. The general feeling tough is that it's a supremely well balanced faction that is ultimately shafted by how dumb the AI pilots them, soiling an otherwise great, alternative way of playing generally low tech ships. I will not get into too much detail but there are some ships that should get buffed (Falchion, Sphinx) or Rebalanced (the bloody hardpoints on the Ziz Battlecruiser, try hitting anything smaller than an Onslaught with Gauss) and some weapons they have seriously need to fire a tad slower (I'm looking at you Shockweb Canister, you beautiful bastard).

I found a Dominion Resurgent system and I'm having a blast. I actually regretted installing the Ruthless sector mod doubling Explorarium Drone ship weapon ranges and giving them ECM rating for the first time. They're legit scarier than [Redacted] and I love it. I've had some incredibly intense scraps against them (with the "Yaah, It's Rewind Time" benched of course).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 07:48:58 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Nirvana is just...
« Reply #511 on: October 17, 2020, 08:37:55 PM »

Should probably have been posted in whatever mod the Nirvana came from.  Anyways, the 200% damage dealt regardless of circumstances is a known bug from what I hear, the intended behavior is that the bonus scales linearly with the flux capacity the Nirvana was at when it began venting (Venting at 0% gives you a whopping 0% bonus, at 50% flux gives you 100% bonus, and venting from 100% flux gives 200%).  Once that's fixed it'll be considerably less insane.

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 17, 2020, 10:26:16 PM »

I don't even install mods that add ridiculous ships like this

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 17, 2020, 11:24:24 PM »

You don't have to go that far to create a ship that will roflstomp any vanilla content. Cabal Odyssey's only differences from basic version are very minor stat boosts (5%) and missile slots becoming universal. And that's already enough.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 11:25:59 PM by TaLaR »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Kadur Remnant 3.1.2 - un-invincible 2020-02-11
« Reply #514 on: October 18, 2020, 12:04:00 AM »

Merged the topic into the appropriate place.

@Arcagnello, please be more aware of where topics should be posted. In particular, please post content regarding a specific mod in its thread, unless it is of general modding interest (IE the point being made can apply to many mods and the specific mod mentioned is just an example) in which case it can go into the "modding" subforum.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 18, 2020, 02:35:12 AM »

Should probably have been posted in whatever mod the Nirvana came from.  Anyways, the 200% damage dealt regardless of circumstances is a known bug from what I hear, the intended behavior is that the bonus scales linearly with the flux capacity the Nirvana was at when it began venting (Venting at 0% gives you a whopping 0% bonus, at 50% flux gives you 100% bonus, and venting from 100% flux gives 200%).  Once that's fixed it'll be considerably less insane.

I am glad to hear that, although I don't even think the Nirvana needs that powerful of a secondary skill to be powerful enough for it's FP. The EMP arcs around the ship while venting are already widely used by other Relic ships, I would instead go with something like moderately improved mobility while venting, also proportional to flux level when venting? I would probably still bump it up to at least 80FP even after these changes.

I don't even install mods that add ridiculous ships like this

Ridiculous is fine as long as it's met with drawbacks. Most content mods I have actually expand current factions, It's mods that make everything in them 100% overpowered that you should be wary about. And you can usually spot them at first glance.

You don't have to go that far to create a ship that will roflstomp any vanilla content. Cabal Odyssey's only differences from basic version are very minor stat boosts (5%) and missile slots becoming universal. And that's already enough.

I actually also have the Cabal in my campaign and I agree. Their ships are supremely well balanced and the Nirvana would've been more than fine just with the Time Shell and very minor secondary skills like all the other Relic ships. Also be aware that most relic ships usually come with one, two or even three D-mods as you can only recover them across the galaxy as far as I'm aware and restoring them is generally proibitive.

They also generally suck at PD unless they have like, oh I don't know, 4 Heavy Burst Lasers and 10 Burst Lasers augmented by expanded magazines, ITU and PDAI like my current Nirvana build  :P

It could easily have some small mounts removed actually, there are so many of them covering all arcs around the ship, unlike the other Relic ships.

Merged the topic into the appropriate place.

@Arcagnello, please be more aware of where topics should be posted. In particular, please post content regarding a specific mod in its thread, unless it is of general modding interest (IE the point being made can apply to many mods and the specific mod mentioned is just an example) in which case it can go into the "modding" subforum.

Mea Culpa there. I actually vomited this discussion out into my phone before going to sleep and it shows  :P

Will try to both pay a lot more attention AND post while properly caffeinated in the future!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:38:07 AM by Arcagnello »

FelixCulpa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 31, 2020, 09:36:16 PM »

Hey! Im a forum posting virgin so be gentle plz. I had a question. How in the world to i find Kadur bases? They always want retribution but idk how to find them. I also tried going to bars/sending agents to the infected star system but no dice... Thanks in advance!

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 06, 2020, 12:33:08 PM »

Could you please enlighten me how to get well with the Kadur faction and how to obtain the hidden ships hinted in the mod description?
They seem to offer no commission, AI core turn ins and a single hiccup is enough to throw good reputation with them beyond reach.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 06, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »

Hey! Im a forum posting virgin so be gentle plz. I had a question. How in the world to i find Kadur bases? They always want retribution but idk how to find them. I also tried going to bars/sending agents to the infected star system but no dice... Thanks in advance!

It's better to be a forum virgin rather than an overly spammy site goblin like myself  ;)

As far as I'm aware, Kadur retribution is not dissimilar from pirate activity, the times when I had to deal with some of their bases they all had a bounty on them. If you've got retribution on a system where one of your planets is located make sure to talk to someone in the bar.

Could you please enlighten me how to get well with the Kadur faction and how to obtain the hidden ships hinted in the mod description?
They seem to offer no commission, AI core turn ins and a single hiccup is enough to throw good reputation with them beyond reach.

I've played as a Kadurite in one campaign and they got nuked in another, so I never really experienced having to grind their rep coming from an outside faction. Their lore sort of implies they're a very diffident bunch tough, so I imagine that getting in a good relationship with the faction being arduous is completely intended.

Do you have Nexerelin by the way? You can send an experienced agent to one of their colonies to improve your rep, or search for one of their ambassadors to pick  and slap in your embassy if you got the mod adding them.

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 07, 2020, 06:03:40 AM »

I've played as a Kadurite in one campaign and they got nuked in another, so I never really experienced having to grind their rep coming from an outside faction. Their lore sort of implies they're a very diffident bunch tough, so I imagine that getting in a good relationship with the faction being arduous is completely intended.

Do you have Nexerelin by the way? You can send an experienced agent to one of their colonies to improve your rep, or search for one of their ambassadors to pick  and slap in your embassy if you got the mod adding them.

I did start as Kadur. That's why the hiccup bothering me, caz right now literally everyone is hostile to me.
Got rid of Nexerelin though, increases save/load time way too much over time.
How does the embassy stuff work?

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 07, 2020, 07:03:16 AM »

The Kadur typically put a lot of bounties on the Hegemony and Pirates since both of their systems are infested by them, you can attack their fleets to improve your relations
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 08, 2020, 03:19:06 AM »

I did start as Kadur. That's why the hiccup bothering me, caz right now literally everyone is hostile to me.

Sorry for the late reply!
Embassies and their accompanying Ambassadors come from the Industrial Evolution mod (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18011.0). It is save compatible but you likely won't be able to use all of its features if you're already into idgame, so I'd suggest considering this mod for a new campaign instead.
The way it works is simple: go to Kadur-held colonies/bases and seach in the tab you usually find colony administrators for an Ambassador. Once you find one (wich is not a quick process) build an Ambassy in one of your colonies and put the Kadur ambassador in there. He will improve your relations with the Kadurites monthly but you'll incur in bigger reputation penalties should they occur!

If you've got Nexerelin (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9175.0), you can also hire Agents (found in bars) and send them to Kadir held colonies and instruct them to raise relations. This action costs 60k credits for every mission they partake, so  make sure you've got enough fat stacks of money stashed up to keep spamming relation improvements as soon as one is completed until you get into good enough relations.

The Kadur typically put a lot of bounties on the Hegemony and Pirates since both of their systems are infested by them, you can attack their fleets to improve your relations

I forgot about this option really, it's probably the fastest and most cost effective way to grind reputation with them, altough I never really committed to this since managing a single star system already requires a lot of babysitting and chasing system bounties would usually take the remaining time away, something I can't afford in most campaigns since I'm always busy exploring the sector for new toys and enough credits to field them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 03:24:47 AM by Arcagnello »

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 16, 2020, 02:17:06 PM »

Embassies and their accompanying Ambassadors come from the Industrial Evolution mod (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18011.0). It is save compatible but you likely won't be able to use all of its features if you're already into idgame, so I'd suggest considering this mod for a new campaign instead.
The way it works is simple: go to Kadur-held colonies/bases and seach in the tab you usually find colony administrators for an Ambassador. Once you find one (wich is not a quick process) build an Ambassy in one of your colonies and put the Kadur ambassador in there. He will improve your relations with the Kadurites monthly but you'll incur in bigger reputation penalties should they occur!

If you've got Nexerelin (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9175.0), you can also hire Agents (found in bars) and send them to Kadir held colonies and instruct them to raise relations. This action costs 60k credits for every mission they partake, so  make sure you've got enough fat stacks of money stashed up to keep spamming relation improvements as soon as one is completed until you get into good enough relations.

I forgot about this option really, it's probably the fastest and most cost effective way to grind reputation with them, altough I never really committed to this since managing a single star system already requires a lot of babysitting and chasing system bounties would usually take the remaining time away, something I can't afford in most campaigns since I'm always busy exploring the sector for new toys and enough credits to field them.

No worries. Thanks for explaining.
Bounties worked eventually, it was just my bad luck for cycles that even with a sniffer installed practically nothing popped up from the Kadur. It also seems that standing does not do much good apart from not being harassed by crusades in hyperspace as outside their basic markets the faction has literally nothing to offer to their friends.
It is still unclear to me how to get my hands on a Caliph-class Superdreadnought, however.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 16, 2020, 03:35:01 PM »

No worries. Thanks for explaining.
Bounties worked eventually, it was just my bad luck for cycles that even with a sniffer installed practically nothing popped up from the Kadur. It also seems that standing does not do much good apart from not being harassed by crusades in hyperspace as outside their basic markets the faction has literally nothing to offer to their friends.
It is still unclear to me how to get my hands on a Caliph-class Superdreadnought, however.

A Kaliph bounty popped up for me eventually after working through a lot of IBBs and still being commissioned by the Kadurites. Good luck fighting that monster.

I personally had two of those disgusting Prophet builds you can see a few pages back into this thread (that sadly turned it into a pushover) that just ran it down and did it VERY dirty but it should be a substantial threat to the usual, shield using builds that can be disabled by a dozen hellbore-level damage shots on the hull and not over 60...

N1MH

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 28, 2020, 03:34:40 AM »

Anyone else think the Riven Lightforger bounty should be nerfed or have its reward increased?

200k is not worth taking on an Astral, 3 Dooms (basically equal to capitals), 5 Harbingers and half a dozen phase frigates.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 45