Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 45

Author Topic: [0.95a] Kadur Remnant 3.2.3 - life support 2021-03-27  (Read 696027 times)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile

Sig'd

Made me laugh. Out loud. At university.

Got some strange looks.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara

Got some strange looks.

People never laugh in your university? Sounds like you need to liven that place up a little! ;D

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile

If we're anthropomorphizing our mods as children, mine is the one young kid who hangs out with the older ones trying so hard to be cool like they are only to just end up looking ridiculous.  :)

For now, though, I'm going to bed. Post some sprite critiques and I'll try to work on them before I have to leave for work tomorrow!
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Runoved

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I wildly apologize, but loss by frigate dolphin  opportunity to be tug are reflected or this is a bug? In the last versions it has no tow cable hull mod. Hardly, but I found a way to fix  it at myself.
And, please, it shouldn't reduce hull integrity of dolphin, it will lose the most part of the usefulness, and so he often suffers from friendly fire ramming the opponent.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile

If we're anthropomorphizing our mods as children, mine is the one young kid who hangs out with the older ones trying so hard to be cool like they are only to just end up looking ridiculous.  :)

For now, though, I'm going to bed. Post some sprite critiques and I'll try to work on them before I have to leave for work tomorrow!

... I think, we should make a thread for this sort of thing! Perhaps we can even get someone to make cute artworks of the "modding classroom"... The Gedune would be such rascals. It'd be adorable.

The scourge?!

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Morion

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi Vayra I really like you mod and want to say few words, those words may be a little weird, because my English is not good enough. Kadur ships looks naturally in vanilla not like they from mod. And I can't say that some of them are ugly, so I can't help to find them  :)
Balance is good now, but not perfect and there is some bugs:
First, there is a “feature” with Phase Shunt, when the ship have selected enemy, Phase Shunt turns ship in different direction. It's main weakness of Kadur ships for now.
Another little bug: Demolisher Rail Cannon haven't shown in fixed ballistic and universal mounts.

Balance of medium guns is good, I even think that Heavy Mauler is better than Twinned Coilgun, it generates less flux. Big flux generation is also the reason why I sometimes change Twinned Reilguns for different weapon (I like Hypervelocity Driver).
Balance of small guns is questioned, they just don’t have good equivalent, need more testing... But if you thinking about how to nerf them – flux/10 OP is the best way.

I need to say that corvettes are useless, although they have good firepower, but get destroyed too easily.  They just too big, can be tracked by anti-ship missiles and have lower survivability than frigates. They almost can't use shield, because of fast flux build up, better give them more armor.  And 5 crew members is just too much, even if corvettes be powerful, I can't justify so big losses. But their main weakness is that they use fighter logic and attack too straightness, they must maneuver like frigates. They must be more like Tempest, but smaller. But I don't think they haven enough maneuverability to do so. I even not sure is it a good idea to add corvettes, heavy fighters is enough.
May be corvette with turret will be more interesting, mostly like support.
Have you think about drones? I mean, if Kadur worry about peoples life so much, they can use some kind of heavy drones, or even robot fighters.

Buzzard frigates can't use their Redemptor Coilgun, i think it's too slow. Hephaestus Assault Gun works much better. Instaling Hephaestus is part of my plan to alter Insurgensy ship desings, "Ace High" is soo weird.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:15:58 PM by Morion »

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile

I wildly apologize, but loss by frigate dolphin  opportunity to be tug are reflected or this is a bug? In the last versions it has no tow cable hull mod. Hardly, but I found a way to fix  it at myself.
And, please, it shouldn't reduce hull integrity of dolphin, it will lose the most part of the usefulness, and so he often suffers from friendly fire ramming the opponent.

Whoops, I have no idea how that happened. I just fixed it, patch in a second. I also raised the Dolphin's hull integrity just a little again. :)

Hi Vayra I really like you mod and want to say few words, those words may be a little weird, because my English is not good enough. Kadur ships looks naturally in vanilla not like they from mod. And I can't say that some of them are ugly, so I can't help to find them  :)

First of all, thank you! :D I'll try to address some of your concerns here:

Balance is good now, but not perfect and there is some bugs:
First, there is a “feature” with Phase Shunt, when the ship have selected enemy, Phase Shunt turns ship in different direction. It's main weakness of Kadur ships for now.

This one I'm not sure if I can fix, it might be hardcoded into the way that phase teleporters work. I agree that it's less than optimal and very confusing when it happens, though -- I'll see what I can do, but it's a lower priority.

Another little bug: Demolisher Rail Cannon haven't shown in fixed ballistic and universal mounts.

Whoops. That's a straight up error. Fixed.

Balance of mediums guns is good, I even think that Heavy Mauler is better than Twinned Coilgun, it generates less flux. Big flux generation is also the reason why I sometimes change Twinned Reilguns for different weapon (I like Hypervelocity Driver).
Balance of small guns is questioned, they just don’t have good equivalent, need more testing... But if you thinking about how to nerf them – flux/10 OP is the best way.

I'm glad you're finding the weapons balanced, I feel like they're in an okay place now with having more straight-up kinetic DPS than a Hypervelocity Driver at better range, but slightly less per-shot damage (though more per burst), higher flux generation, and no EMP. It feels like a sidegrade and a conscious choice to use one or the other, which is what I was going for. Likewise for the Heavy Mauler/Twinned Assault Coilgun. :)

As for small ballistics, they're already fairly flux-intensive and deal less DPS than their competitors so I'm not 100% convinced they need a nerf... I'll take another look at them though. Anyone else have thoughts on this matter?

I need to say that corvettes are useless, although they have good firepower, but get destroyed too easily.  They just too big, can be tracked by anti-ship missiles and have lower survivability than frigates. They almost can't use shield, because of fast flux build up, better give them more armor.  And 5 crew members is just too much, even if corvettes be powerful, I can't justify so big losses. But their main weakness is that they use fighter logic and attack too straightness, they must maneuver like frigates. They must be more like Tempest, but smaller. I think they haven’t enough maneuverability to do so. I even not sure is it a good idea, heavy fighters is enough.
May be corvette with turret will be more interesting, mostly like support.

They're definitely intended to be used in more of a support role, I'll consider buffing their survivability a bit though, and I'll definitely lower the required crew.
Edit: Okay, they've gotten a slight combat stats buff all around in the next update. Also, Myrmidon and Immortal wings should act a little more intelligently. Let me know what you think. :)

Have you think about drones? I mean, if Kadur worry about peoples life so much, they can use some kind of heavy drones, or even robot fighters.

The Martyr drones are approximately the current extent of Kadur UCSV technology. This might change as they engage in tech-trades with various corporations, but for the most part I think drones (especially actually useful combat drones) go against the kind of low-tech personnel-heavy nature of the Kadur. :P

That, and I find them boring in gameplay most of the time. Drones are pretty much a "press F twice, forget about forever" ship system for me. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, heh.

I do have some ideas for a sort of drone-like system, though. We'll see how things play out.

Oh, and your English is fine. I found it perfectly easy to understand, anyway. Better than some native speakers, that's for sure. :P

New version 1.1.7b out right here, just a couple of bugs fixed including compatibility with latest version of Blackrock Driveyards.

If you play with Blackrock Driveyards turned on, make sure you grab the new version of that from here, too.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile

On the first one, is that really a question that should be answered?  I mean, yeah sure, some more details on the religion the Kadur follow would be nice, but there are some things I think should be left ambiguous.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile

Vayra, quick question about background stuff.  Okay, the Kadur Theocracy is a religious organization.  Is their religion legitimate?  The deity (or deities) they pray to, does it have an objective presence in the universe of Starsector?  How about some details on what they believe, beyond "they're a theocracy and they call the player a heretic"?

I left it more ambiguous to avoid offending anyone (I think I'm straying dangerously close to that line already if I haven't tipped all the way over it yet) but I'm willing to say that their deity is essentially the Abrahamic God and is exactly as legitimate or real as that one is. :)

I'll expand on this more in a big lore post at some point though, and I'll try for a slightly more verbose response in a few hours when I'm home from work.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile

The one thing I can't say I really like about the mod is how it saturates stations that really shouldn't have Kadur ships and tech, with tons of it. Askonia, Corvus, etc, tend to drown in cruiser and even capital ship hulls and weapons. The (Sword Of Damocles) also appears on stations, and it doesn't even have a sprite.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile

Vayra, quick question about background stuff.  Okay, the Kadur Theocracy is a religious organization.  Is their religion legitimate?  The deity (or deities) they pray to, does it have an objective presence in the universe of Starsector?  How about some details on what they believe, beyond "they're a theocracy and they call the player a heretic"?

I left it more ambiguous to avoid offending anyone (I think I'm straying dangerously close to that line already if I haven't tipped all the way over it yet) but I'm willing to say that their deity is essentially the Abrahamic God and is exactly as legitimate or real as that one is. :)

I'll expand on this more in a big lore post at some point though, and I'll try for a slightly more verbose response in a few hours when I'm home from work.

Honestly, the Kadur Theocracy struck me as "space Muslims" and I found that to be quite cool.  Their insurgency doesn't have obvious ties with real-world conflicts (they seem more like punks than anything with their naming conventions).

The Theocracy is the main power and they seem to be benevolentish, if isolated.  So it's a decently positive portrayal of what appears to be an Arabic-themed faction.  I like that, and I want to see more of it.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile

The one thing I can't say I really like about the mod is how it saturates stations that really shouldn't have Kadur ships and tech, with tons of it. Askonia, Corvus, etc, tend to drown in cruiser and even capital ship hulls and weapons. The (Sword Of Damocles) also appears on stations, and it doesn't even have a sprite.

Well, if Askonia and Corvus are getting Kadur ship hulls, that's actually a bug. :/ I haven't noticed any in my playing, can you tell me which stations are getting them? I'll fix that as soon as I can pin it down, heh.

The Sword of Damocles is from Blackrock Driveyards, not this mod, and I believe Cycerin has fixed that with the latest BRDY update anyway. :P

Honestly, the Kadur Theocracy struck me as "space Muslims" and I found that to be quite cool.  Their insurgency doesn't have obvious ties with real-world conflicts (they seem more like punks than anything with their naming conventions).

The Theocracy is the main power and they seem to be benevolentish, if isolated.  So it's a decently positive portrayal of what appears to be an Arabic-themed faction.  I like that, and I want to see more of it.

It definitely draws from Arabic and Islamic history and culture, but they're not the only influences. The Kadur are meant to be an obviously functional civilization that even approaches utopia in some aspects, but also has some pretty serious flaws, moral grey areas, and skeletons in the closet. Like I think most real-world societies do. :P

By the way, I should state this now (and I'll put it in the OP whenever I get around to a big lore post): If anything I've posted or will post is seriously offensive to someone I hope that they'll message me so I can remove it. :)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara

By the way, I should state this now (and I'll put it in the OP whenever I get around to a big lore post): If anything I've posted or will post is seriously offensive to someone I hope that they'll message me so I can remove it. :)

Uhh... whatever you are going to write, it's fiction. So people who would be offended by it would have to look at themselves, not you. :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile

I probably do not have to say this, but please refrain from discussing real life religions in detail on these forums.

Drawing inspiration from things like religion is fine, of course.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile

In a world like the Sector, a theocracy, technocracy or even dictatorship would probably rally anyone born under its flag quite efficiently simply due to how tenuous and fickle existence is. You'd be grateful. For the record most of the factions in Starsector and its modiverse seem to be pretty shite on a purely humanistic standpoint, perhaps apart from SHI, or Tri-Tachyon if you're some sort of privileged objectivist *** who loves to cruise around in a Medusa destroying Tarsuses stuffed with refugees, or the Hegemony if you're a privi-- yeah, you see where this is going. Working for Blackrock Drive Yards is alright as long as you do the necessary doublethink and convince yourself that working to contain something that might concievably end up destroying humanity as a whole justifies a whole lot of exploitation that destroys human lives en masse on a daily basis.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 45