Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Open World Navigation  (Read 2857 times)

Deus

• Ensign
  • Proud Mac User
    • View Profile
Open World Navigation
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »

So I'm guessing in the campaign in this game you'll be able to navigate around star systems and then enter battles at certain times, and I was thinking; the 2D perspective is really good for the battles but I'd really love to navigate in a 3D view, to me that would be awesome as I'd feel like a captain in a ship looking out of the main window thingy.

Just a suggestion, please discuss

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Open World Navigation
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »

I'd be fine with either setting... but without really having a good idea of what the campaign map will actually look like, I can't say if the 3D view would be my preference as well, over a 2D view. So many ways the campaign map could be setup if it's going to include multiple star systems. Maybe it'll have like the galaxy view in a sort of 3D setup but when you're in the various star systems it puts everything on a 2D setting for ease of movement.

I'll probably revisit this suggestion myself once we get a glimpse of how the initial campaign map looks and offer my thoughts on it.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »

As neat as a cockpit view would be, or even a third person three dimensional view, the amount of work required would basically require the game to begin development all over again.  Unless Alex is using a really sophisticated engine capable of 3D to render his 2D game which is pretty unlikely.

aerandir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:23:40 AM »

Yeah, that's essentially a new game. What might be cool though is some kind of painted backgrounds for your bridge, engineering etc, a la freespace 2, wing commander, and more recently Starcraft 2. The viewing port could even change based on what system or area of space you're in. Again even a few dozen painted backdrops are probably quite an expense for a small indie game.

That sort of thing really adds character and immersion to a game. If the game is otherwise all menus and text then things can feel a bit soulless and impersonal.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »

That would really be a great way to add character.

Deus

• Ensign
  • Proud Mac User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:51:53 AM »

I understand completely how much work this would require but it was only a suggestion, I like the idea of doing it like SC2 did, as I'm a big fan of that game