Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: People seem to be down heartened :(  (Read 25217 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: People seem to be down heartened :(
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2013, 11:50:55 PM »

And that's just how it is, the rise and fall of an internet forum.  I feel there's some comparison to be made about life in general here.

I think most things that reach some level of popularity on the internet after 2010 will die hard... at least as long as nostalgia is concerned. Same with any embarassing photos of people floating around.

EDIT: Also, take it easy on the pessimism. This patch is probably almost as big as the one that introduced the original campaign layer, modding-wise, and will foster a lot more gameplay discussion. We've been endlessly engrossed by the mere SKELETON of a game so far. One patch adds a femur, another adds a clavicle. You study the new bone from all angles, and then sit back, mostly disinterested. What do you think it's going to be like when the actual meat is starting to make the rounds? What if you add muscles, nerves, and then a brain?

Hrm, typical me, to get carried away with a metaphor.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:56:17 PM by Cycerin »

NITROtbomb

• Commander
  • I like Mah glass cannon ships :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 02:16:29 AM »

nice metaphor
Dancing and playing games, how does that work.. well YOU tell me!

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 02:32:59 AM »

Indeed, OH YOU CYC! ;D

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 06:36:16 AM »

@Cycerin:

That's... beautiful!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 07:48:17 AM »

Not to rain on your parade, but the metaphor implies a sudden change from an inanimate state to a living thing. I think Starsector is very much alive already, and the growth that follows now will expand the depth and scope, not transcend it towards a higher state of being.
I might have been a skeleton when Alex started coding the engine about three years ago. By now it still misses some extremities, patches of skin and maybe senses, but it is a living hum...uh, working game.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 09:17:13 AM »

Not to rain on your parade, but the metaphor implies a sudden change from an inanimate state to a living thing. I think Starsector is very much alive already, and the growth that follows now will expand the depth and scope, not transcend it towards a higher state of being.
I might have been a skeleton when Alex started coding the engine about three years ago. By now it still misses some extremities, patches of skin and maybe senses, but it is a living hum...uh, working game.

see cycerin's metaphor as an undead :P its already alive, the necromancer just keep making it better ;)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »

Yeah, Starsector hasn't exactly been a corpse, but the complexity of the system will grow exponentially once you add more layers. :) And so will the discussion around the game itself and the ability for mods to expand it.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 09:45:16 AM »

Personally ive been wondering about the impact 0.6 will have on modders.
I mean, its introducing and changing a crapton of things and im wondering how hard/long converting theire mod will be for modders.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »

Keptin! how goes interstellar fed? haven't seen you around for a good while.

I poke around the forum every so often.  I don't have much time to mod, but 0.6 should be fun.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »

I'd kinda have to disagree with that. While it wasn't *dead* per-se, it wasn't alive. Sure, the combat is all fine and dandy, but where's the actual life of the system, the beating heart of the waning civilisation slowly withering to a husk? The campaign right now is pretty barebones (metaphorical pun entirely intended), but with the coming updates, it will be getting more and more life lovingly affixed to it.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »

I'd kinda have to disagree with that. While it wasn't *dead* per-se, it wasn't alive. Sure, the combat is all fine and dandy, but where's the actual life of the system, the beating heart of the waning civilisation slowly withering to a husk? The campaign right now is pretty barebones (metaphorical pun entirely intended), but with the coming updates, it will be getting more and more life lovingly affixed to it.

I think I agree with Gothars more and that's because while I love the campaign, I'm waiting for the campaign, the campaign will add what I really want out of the game, but I believe and maybe this is what Gothars' point is, that the battle system is the beating heart of the game. The campaign is the body around it and we players are the brain that's waiting to inhabit that creature...

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »

I think I agree with Gothars more and that's because while I love the campaign, I'm waiting for the campaign, the campaign will add what I really want out of the game, but I believe and maybe this is what Gothars' point is, that the battle system is the beating heart of the game. The campaign is the body around it and we players are the brain that's waiting to inhabit that creature...

That's going to be one hell of a schizophrenic disorder. For the record, I'm against getting a psychiatrist and will not pay for one - if we end up as the brain, that is.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »

Keptin! how goes interstellar fed? haven't seen you around for a good while.

I poke around the forum every so often.  I don't have much time to mod, but 0.6 should be fun.

Do not awaken old gods.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2013, 02:13:55 PM »

Keptin is busy with his Kethane mod for KSP.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »

Guys! Guys! Guys! You're missing the point! We aren't supposed to be happy! We are supposed to be crying about 0.6 not being out and that some drama queens left the forum. Shame on you all!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7