Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

New name for energy damage/mounts?

Yay
Nay

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: New name for energy weapons?  (Read 27352 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
New name for energy weapons?
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:38:44 PM »

At the moment the damage type energy (energy, high explosive, knietic etc.) and the mount type energy (energy, ballistic, missile) have the same name, despite being very different things. That is quite confusing for newcomers. And sometimes hampers mutual comprehension even between experienced players, since you never know for sure what someone means with an "energy weapon". I see no good reason why this has to be.

Can't we come up with a new name for one of the two?

Just off the top of my head:

dealing:
- power damage ->  call 'em power weapons   (most on energy mounts)
- flux damage ->  flux weapons
- surge damage -> surge weapons

mounted on:
- grid mounts -> call 'em grid weapons   (most dealing energy damage)
- powered mounts ->  powered weapons
- reactor mounts -> reactor weapons

Feel free to add your own ideas.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
Re: New name for energy weapons?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:43:04 PM »

I am sorry, but I am not completly new to this game, yet I don´t understand at all your name system :D

Tho if it would be up to me, I would have those kind of mounts:
Energy
Hybrid
- (True railguns, creating energy, kind of hyperspace, rail between weapon and target then sending ballistic payload, do not mistake with gauss guns)
Ballistic
Missile

Sizes are fine as they are, but I would split them to atleast two technological tiers.

Tier I What we have right now
Tier II For advanced weaponry, but also supporting Tier I

About energy weapons, I would probably add some tag for Beam/Projectile type.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:56:05 PM by Ravendarke »

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »

I fail to see why people would get confused by this. ???

Anyway, if it really had to change then I'd definitely keep the weapons at 'Energy' and probably 'Generator' for the mounts.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »

I...don't think i get it... but i get it.

mounting an energy weapon on an energy mount seems pretty straightforward tho. nothing complicated there. same goes for ballistics.

or perhaps you want people to delve deeper into things? "why is this thing an energy weapon?" or "HOW is this thing an energy weapon?"

i believe EVEs way of doing it might make things better, lasers are...lasers.. railguns and blasters are hybrid weapons, machine guns and cannons and stuff are artillery and autocannons which both would use ballistic mounts, while hybrid weps would use Hybrid weapon mounts and lasers use energy mounts.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:05:15 PM by ValkyriaL »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »

Directed Flux Weapons, or DF Weapons.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »

I think somthing along the lines of direct energy would be best. Since a lot of the energy damage weapons have different ways of dealing damage, at least as far as Lore goes, e.g; Graviton beams, Phase beams and the other shooty-things.

As long a the damage type and the mount type have different names, there should be no confusion. Since there are no weapons that deal ballistic damage or kinetic weapon mounts.

(Tired Hyph is tired, he should go to sleep now)

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 04:25:55 PM »

I am sorry, but I am not completly new to this game, yet I don´t understand at all your name system :D

Tho if it would be up to me, I would have those kind of mounts:

This is not about changing anything about mounts or weapons, only about changing a term.
I'm not sure what you meann with name system, I only made some suggestions for alternative names either energy mounts or energy damage could have.

mounting an energy weapon on an energy mount seems pretty straightforward tho. nothing complicated there. same goes for ballistics.

But then there are energy damage weapons you install on ballistic mounts (Mjolnir cannon) and kinetic damage weapons you install on energy mounts (Graviton beam). So, is a Graviton beam an energy weapon? Or a Mjonir cannon? Both? None? You can see it as you like, but with the current nomenclature there's no way to be sure.

Directed Flux Weapons, or DF Weapons.

Yeah, like it.

Gn8 Hyph :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 07:01:07 PM »

I understand what you mean. I say change the name of the mounts rather than the damage type. Seems like it'd be much simpler.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »

I think the damage icon on the weapon card gets the job done just fine for new players. The first time i started with a wolf the graviton beam it drove home the difference between damage types & mount types.

If there is confusion in the forums we can we add some type of affix. Like dmg!energy or mnt!energy. I forget where the Blah!(noun) comes from so i may be using it wrong, but its just a suggestion. We could use little emoticon things too like (0)energy for mounts and x- energy for damage type.

I suppose we could just get into the habit of saying energy damage or energy mounts too.

That said, if it does end up changing i'd prefer it if the mount's name was changed. Having energy as a generic catch all term for shiny sparkly weapons is too good to pass up.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »

While I agree that there can be some confusion with the current terms used, I personally kinda feel that the terms you suggested might end up being even MORE confusing. The only overlap between the damage and mount types is energy, why not just make the energy mount into a powered mount, and let most of the weapons for those powered mounts do energy damage. Nothing else needs to change.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 07:45:49 PM »

Yeah i agree, simplest way to solve it is to just change the 'Energy Mount' to 'Force Mount' or similar :)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »

I don't see it as that big of a problem. Most of the weapons in the vanilla game that are energy mounts do energy damage anyway. A modding issue maybe?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:38:18 PM »

While I agree that there can be some confusion with the current terms used, I personally kinda feel that the terms you suggested might end up being even MORE confusing.
Concur with this. I think all the proposed rename schemes here are just more confusing and/or esoteric and take more time to learn than the current system, which only has two exceptions to the "energy weapon goes in energy mount" rule anyway.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:41:25 PM by Histidine »

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 01:52:45 AM »

I fail to see why people would get confused by this. ???

Anyway, if it really had to change then I'd definitely keep the weapons at 'Energy' and probably 'Generator' for the mounts.
Pretty much this. I'd write more here, but I just want to voice my support.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 04:27:37 AM »

Currently all energy weapons deal energy damage, it pretty obvious that that energy weapon require energy mount.

If thing change a bit, additional damage types are required:

if some energy weapon deal piercing damage, type of damage shoud be called searing, with "energy style" icon, but still 150\50.

same for kinetic weapons that does energy weapon, that damage shoud be called composite and deal 100\100 with "kinetic style" icon.

anyone who have issues with tooltip reading can navigate merely by damagetype icon color - blue for energy, red for kinetic and green for missiles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6