Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

New name for energy damage/mounts?

Yay
Nay

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: New name for energy weapons?  (Read 27348 times)

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: New name for energy weapons?
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »

I don't know if it's already been sugessted, but how about Photon Mounts?

I do think consistency across the mount naming conventions is important, and like I pointed out earlier, Ballistic and Missile Mounts are both named for kind of projectile they fire that delivers the damage to the enemy. In the case of lasers and beams, it's kind of hard to define that since we percieve the beam instantaneously traveling to its destination. Unless, we explore the physcial properties of light.

That, or Particle Mounts, which would probably be better, since that would give more flexibility in terms of damage type, since a beam of pure light would likely only be able to be intensified. I think this also works better for blaster type weapons as well.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »

Particle, photon, proton, electron, phase, laser, plasma, tachyon, pulse, disruptor, dark energy, dark matter, it's all (fictional) energy.
Thus all of these names would be ridiculous, no offense. Renaming energy weapons to one of these would leave out all other energy based weapons.

Generator/Dynamo/Battery etc. is at least logical for mounts and Alex would do well to leave the weapons at Energy, since there's simply no better word for it in the entire galaxy. Yes, that includes the Sirius VII Zarkonian Book of Infinite Words and Logic.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2013, 12:48:52 AM »

It's pretty simple, but I think for me the best alternative is 'active' mounts, and 'energy' damage. It's clear enough, concise, doesn't require a mastery of any particular language, and gets the message across without being too clever.

At the end of the day I think it's about distinction more than trying to be clever with words (as fun as being clever with words actually is) so I'll go out on a limb and say that is my favourite so far.

I like 'particle' damage, but probably due to Transcendence I always see Particle as a sub-type of 'energy', so I'm a bit unsure about that. 'Searing' is cool, but again a bit too specific for my taste. Personally I don't think going for 'Photon' or 'Particle' or similar for the type of mount feels right - again a bit too specific for something (the mount) which is very general in it's nature (and presumably construction).

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2013, 12:51:04 AM »

Assuming there wont be too many exceptions to the energy mount energy damage thing, id say leaving the two as is might be best. Seems intuitive for the new players
mmm.... tartiflette

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »

All matter acts like both particles and waves, so I don't feel like particle damage is too specific. (even if it's anti-particles or whatever, haha).

This whole thing is so subjective though. No matter what change is made (even if it's no change) someone won't like it, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2013, 11:28:57 AM »

If you look at it that way then particle is the worst choice of them all, since it'd group energy, ballistic and missile weapons.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »

Haha. I just meant it is a suitable synonym for energy.

At the macro level matter does not act like that.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]