Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Thank Goodness for Autofire  (Read 3125 times)

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
Thank Goodness for Autofire
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:47:38 AM »

I broke my right arm the other day in a tragic bicycle accident, and I am reduced to playing boring WASD games...

Or so I thought!
Thanks to the wonderful creation that is autofire, I can still play Starsector and finally train myself in various piloting moves. I'd just like to thank Alex for putting in the autofire feature so that I can still play this amazing game.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Thank Goodness for Autofire
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:34:26 AM »

Without autofire you couldn't fly some ships anyway, there are too many weapons for you to control by yourself and aim properly while doing so, as well as having to keep an eye on everything else going on.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »

Make a swift recovery MostModest.

In the interim some useful things to keep in mind:

You can pause at any time. That way you can take you hand off the keyboard and select new targets stress free.
X stops all fire so you can passively vent off your flux better, but while doing so your turrets still track your target. (be mindful of missiles because your PD is off too)
Any ship with 150 degree omni shield can be frontal'd and extended to be 360. So lashers enforcers omens and so on can be made to have a convenient binary shield state you don't need 2 hands to aim.
Phase ships have conveniently binary defensive systems too.
Pilums annihilators and swarmers will auto fire.

Thats all i can think of. Good luck
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »

Indeed get well soon! It is sad and kinda funny but autofire turrets still hit things more often than i do. :P

(Slightly off topic but if you picked up burnout paradise in the humble origin bundle it is possible to play that game with one hand you just need to rebind some keys.)

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 11:08:02 PM »

(Slightly off topic but if you picked up burnout paradise in the humble origin bundle it is possible to play that game with one hand you just need to rebind some keys.)

Well, I have no money, and I don't use Steam; so I was entertaining myself with flash games until I saw that Starsector could work for me. Now I'm over the moon and playing SS with renewed vigor.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:53:35 PM »

i always play with autofire on with almost every weapon. I don't think i would be interested in this game otherwise. It feels so good to actually pilot the ship while the guns shoot.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 09:20:11 PM »

make shure to set all missiles on auto fire helps a lot. ;D