Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: [0.7.2a] Exigency v0.7.2 - Updated 3/19/17  (Read 314768 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

That crash at the end... Looks painful
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Is that a swarm of Mx array missiles? I was wondering what those things would look like with missile trails.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile

A combination of Mx and Sidewinder missiles.

I already am fine tuning the looks and the optimization of it more, but it sure does look a lot more cool and deadly at the same time compared to Starsector .62 :)

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile

I'm not particularly great at using the ships that have them, but I already thought the Mx's were cool just because they're a missile you aren't strictly limited in uses per battle, the trails just makes it even better ;)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Did you play much of the 0.6 version of the mod before the Starsector update by chance?

While my ships do require specific tactics to fight or use yourself, the awkward weapons and dual ship systems they use are the main reasons for this. Any feed back you provide I will consider for the next version, unfortunately it might take a while to make it a reality. The SS 0.65 update broke everything, and also introduced some campaign oddities that I am not even sure how I will compensate for yet.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Not much, sorry. Was distracted with a lot of other things.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Nice. I like the placement and simplicity. The only thing that seems a little off is the red during cooldown. Why not orange to emulate the rest of the interface?

All right, right-click system indicator Mk2.
Lots of little changes :)

By the way wanted to talk to anyone that likes my mod, mention some stuff and perhaps you can leave your thoughts in reply as well. But to start off the reason why this mod takes so long to update is several fold. Mainly that is uses very complex scripted mechanics to bring them far outside vanilla in play style to keep them interesting to fight and fun to play as. The downside of this is since I consider balance, polish, and 100% bug free gameplay extremely important this means development takes a very long time. The good news is that the last update got most of the combat mechanics finalized, not much is changing in that regard anymore.

Now that is left in total? Well to finish the Exigency Corporation and Ahriman association factions, I need to add a handful of new modular weapons, several ships for Exi and perhaps one or two for AA. Upgrade the visuals for the ship systems (the new effects are going to be amazing), and flesh out the campaign mechanics which is no longer a simple thing these days. All of the things I just listed off are planned for this update though I might not get all of the ships I intend in.

Now this is another point I have not really mentioned before. There is currently two factions in this mod, but I do not intend to keep it like this forever. My long term goals are essentially making my own mod compilation pack. More factions, quests, events, a "pocket sector" and enough content to keep the intrigue going for a long long time. Now you might think that this would take years at my current pace of development, but it won't. Once the first two factions are mostly done (they will be soon™), the additional content I have planned for it if will be far easier to implement since it won't play like a total conversion that was hit with a hammer until vanilla balanced. And beyond that I am going to collaborate with some other mod authors to help things along.

So basically what I am saying is development will be speeding up, and if you could share any thoughts or suggestions about this plan that would be much appreciated.

Also, do you like fighters? I do, and as possibly the last fighter I will add to the Exi faction I intend to make it something a little special ;)

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Grand plans indeed.

Now for the questions:

-I know you have plans for an Exi ,gatekeeper, thing, but apart for that what more could you add for Exi? Same goes for AA.

-What other factions could you add? Will you expand the freaks from your other mods: the remnants or will it be smth different?

-Do you plan on making this a total conv at any point in the future?

-Exi never seemed like it was made for modular weapons, yet you want to change that. Does that mean THOSE ships will be made for that purpose and more conventional or just as bonkers as the others?

-I like that fighter, will it be as crazy as the ones from the templars mods?

-Overall, do you want to keep the mod as unorthodox as you can? Because, for me at least that's the gist of it.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile

You've pigeon-holed yourself into that troubling space where your creation is too good for me to give any usable feedback on - but I'll try.

I like things wot go pew pew.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile

-I know you have plans for an Exi ,gatekeeper, thing, but apart for that what more could you add for Exi? Same goes for AA.
Well for Exi the list of ships is the Dreadnought, two varieties of logistics vessels, a heavy cruiser, and one or two more fighters. For AA it is a mobile space station and an asteroid mass-driver cruiser. There could be more ships at some point but that is more or less the list.

-What other factions could you add? Will you expand the freaks from your other mods: the remnants or will it be smth different?
Heh, you called it... The Remnants will be in this mod. As far as the other ones, well it is all planned out in my head and some preliminary work as been done for them but I am not sure I want to spoil exactly what they will be quite yet.

-Do you plan on making this a total conv at any point in the future?
No, I really do not like the idea of a total conversion at least for my own projects. The issues with them is that to have a successful total conversion your work has to be so good that the end user would choose your TC over everything else. Vanilla is too interesting to just override in my opinion anyways, and then everyone can have their deck of cards to play against everything else that exists. I would like to think at least for Exi themselves that I created TC tier "different" gameplay and somehow managed to make it work in vanilla.

-Exi never seemed like it was made for modular weapons, yet you want to change that. Does that mean THOSE ships will be made for that purpose and more conventional or just as bonkers as the others?
Well originally they really were not meant to be particularly modular, mostly because it was the only way to balance them properly. But they still have enough slots that adding a handful of new weapons would increase the variety for them quite substantially. And the last of their combat ships that will be added are intended to be more modular, but I will keep the craziness people expect for them as well.

-I like that fighter, will it be as crazy as the ones from the templars mods?
I am not exaggerating when I state that it will be the most insane fighter anyone will ever make.

-Overall, do you want to keep the mod as unorthodox as you can? Because, for me at least that's the gist of it.
Yes, but within reason. I have some ideas to make the new factions almost as crazy without the hundreds of kilobytes of code it takes to fuel Exi themselves heh.

You've pigeon-holed yourself into that troubling space where your creation is too good for me to give any usable feedback on - but I'll try.

I like things wot go pew pew.
:)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:35:22 PM by MesoTroniK »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

So basically what I am saying is development will be speeding up, and if you could share any thoughts or suggestions about this plan that would be much appreciated.
Sounds like a good plan to me, Meso. The new indicator looks subtle and intuitive and perfect. I'm curious about and excited for the new changes, and I have no doubt that you'll deliver. It sounds like you're planning to do a lot of work before releasing a new version. Have you considered prioritizing basic campaign compatibility with 0.65 before moving on to the new improvements? I miss Exi, but 0.65 offers too much to give up.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Sounds like a good plan to me, Meso. The new indicator looks subtle and intuitive and perfect. I'm curious about and excited for the new changes, and I have no doubt that you'll deliver. It sounds like you're planning to do a lot of work before releasing a new version. Have you considered prioritizing basic campaign compatibility with 0.65 before moving on to the new improvements? I miss Exi, but 0.65 offers too much to give up.

Hmmm, well that thought did cross my mind. But honestly I am kind of intimidated about getting the campaign working again, it needs a very atypical setup to work as intended and it will be a massive amount effort to create. So I was planning on saving that for last and getting all the new and improved combat layer stuff in first. But perhaps I should change my plans...

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Well, it is time to show a little teaser of the next update.

One thing that always bothered me about my mod is how the Repulsor ship system replaces shields on ExigencyCorp vessels or supplements them on Ahirman Association ones, yet it did not look impressive enough to do the role justice.

Well, here is what it will look like in Exi 0.7 ;)
Spoiler

Visuals are subject to change*
[close]

The Burst Repulsor will be getting a similar visual upgrade, as well as several other ship systems. Other things being worked on are three new varieties of fighter wings, many modular weapons, and one to three new classes of ships. Also of course balance changes, polish, script optimizations, a much more in-depth campaign setup to take advantage of Starsector 0.65.1a in ways that most would not expect, and some secret content that will not be revealed in advance.

Anyways, I apologize it is taking so long but it will be worth it when it is done sometime q1 2015...

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Considering how good missiles are now, Exigency ships are going to be a nightmare! :)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It did not really change much at all.

Exi missiles did not change for the most part, and sure getting hit by your own (vanilla style missiles) hurts but the relative risk vs reward for both parties remains the same.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26