Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: how big are the ships in starfarer?  (Read 11982 times)

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: how big are the ships in starfarer?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 11:20:58 PM »

would a pixle to meter conversion work?

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »

At this point I would think not, since Iva stated that the ship sizes in the game aren't actually representative of the ships but are as big as they are solely for gameplay purposes.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Alendor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 07:34:16 PM »

Alex himself said the fighters arn't to scale and are actually far larger than they should be, for gameplay purposes.  so using the fighters as a means of finding a base for scale is a bad move.

Erebos

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:36 AM »

I can't tell you how long the ships are, but this may be of interest.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 08:11:05 AM »

I just want to state that those numbers are there purely for flavor purposes and are not to be considered canon in any way, shape, or form :)

Pikarov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 08:14:01 AM »

Judging from this picture: http://fractalsoftworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/ship_sheet.jpg when I compare the fighters cockpits with modern day fighters; I'm making the assumption that one pixel roughly translates to one meter (~3.3 feet). That would, for example, make the Onslaught 350 meters long and the Hammerhead about 160.

However, I don't think we should think too much about this. It the devs where to make every ship as big as the number of crewmen it contains, the size difference between a one man fighter and a Capital ship with hundreds of men would be ridiculously big. I think Starfarer has taken the RTS approach where big units (like buildings and tanks, or in this case cruisers etc.) are scaled down in comparison the smaller ones to enhance the gaming experience.

I can't check at the moment but I think that in game, when fighters are landing on carriers, they diminish in size as if they were descending toward the carrier (from the top down perspective).
Unless I'm imagining this, that means that the pixel length comparison would not work or should at least be corrected by the smallest size of the fighters just before it disappears. That would boost the size of the capital ships in the kilometer ballpark and raise the question of why they don't carry more fighter wings. :-p

ps: This is not a trivial question. Spaceship size comparison is one of the funniest aspect of discussing space operas. ^^

Pikarov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »

I just want to state that those numbers are there purely for flavor purposes and are not to be considered canon in any way, shape, or form :)

This is a prudent and wise stance.

But that won't stop me from rambling a little. :)
At 200 million tons, an Onslaught battleship, if constructed with steel in the manner of a current naval ship would be around two kilometers in lenghts.
Of course this is wildly inaccurate because we don't know what materials are supposed ot be used to build it and it is insanely armored which would make it far denser than a steel structure.
 So its length based on this mass would be anywhere between a few hundred meters and a kilometer.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »

This is a prudent and wise stance.

But that won't stop me from rambling a little. :)
At 200 million tons, an Onslaught battleship, if constructed with steel in the manner of a current naval ship would be around two kilometers in lenghts.
Of course this is wildly inaccurate because we don't know what materials are supposed ot be used to build it and it is insanely armored which would make it far denser than a steel structure.
 So its length based on this mass would be anywhere between a few hundred meters and a kilometer.

But you are right we dont know the materials so based on its mass... could be anything and everything as they may have some ultra low density insane strength armor alloy, or ultra dense insane strength armor alloy... meaning who the hell knows.
Pages: 1 [2]