Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alternate games to Starsector while we wait for the update?  (Read 14368 times)

BrickedKeyboard

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I'm curious if there are any reasonably recent games that have features similar to Starsector, or similar to how starsector is intended to be.  Of course there's classics like Star Control 2...but that game has a battlefield limited to one screen and hopelessly pixelated graphics by today's standards.  It's not that it's a bad game, but limitations like that make it hard to play.

Are there any games I can play while waiting for the next update?

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate games to Starsector while we wait for the update?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »

SPAZ? The much less tactical and more gamey equivalent?

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »

Star Made, its essentialy minecraft in space, but the ships you build are actual ships i highly reccomend it although its even more in alpha than starsector so its kinda buggy and there isn't too much to do yet.

http://star-made.org/
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 01:09:01 PM »

Mount And Blade: WarBand 

While it's horses instead of ships and armies instead of fleets, it has a fair bit in common with SS.  You can play the demo (on Steam if you like) to get a feel for the game. 

Shiolle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:49:48 PM »

Star Trek: Starfleet Command - Orion Pirates is an adaptation of Starfleet Battles board game on the pc. It's similar to Starsector in that it's about tactical battles against spaceships in a flat space. The game is fun and not so simple, but unfortunately quite hard to find nowadays.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:25:54 AM »

Void destroyer. 3D, currently only has a demo, unless you caught the kickstarter. But it's amazing
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:53:08 AM »

Drox Operative?

Arcibalde came on and recommended it a few months back, I certainly had a lot of fun with it for a reasonable period of time. It doesn't have the depth that the tactical combat in Starsector has (by a long shot), but there are elements of it that are still pretty fun, and could be worth a look if it sounds like your sort of thing.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

BrickedKeyboard

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 11:32:59 AM »

Sigh.  I've tried Drox Operative, it sucked very badly when I tried it.  Maybe it's better now.  Void Destroyer : still early alpha, going to try it soon.  Star Trek : Starfleet : 12 years old, and it's an RTS game, and not a good one compared to the RTS games I normally play.  Mount and Blade : might not be too bad.  And SPAZ, I beat a year and a half ago, I haven't heard it has had major improvements since.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 12:23:29 PM »

Star Wars: Empire at War. It's an RTS, not a space sim, but the space battles are excellent and have mechanics surprisingly similar to Starsector. Unfortunately it's $20 on Steam, but it's usually 75% off whenever it goes on sale. A good game to wishlist for later. :)

The game's ground battles can die in a fire, though.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 02:08:19 PM »

This might be surprising, but I found some of Starsector's qualities that I enjoy most in Hotline Miami. Top down 2D shooter with similar controls and just as unforgiving combat. Both very fast paced and tactical at the same time.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »

Star Wars: Empire at War. It's an RTS, not a space sim, but the space battles are excellent and have mechanics surprisingly similar to Starsector. Unfortunately it's $20 on Steam, but it's usually 75% off whenever it goes on sale. A good game to wishlist for later. :)

The corruption mechanic in the expansion was a massive pain to deal with as well. Regardless of which side you were on

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 12:20:20 AM »

Yeah, empire at war is pretty cool, but not the best (battlefront 2 anyone? ;)) Hotline Miami is a fantastic game. Really had but not in the bad way where you'd want to stop playing.

I'll do some reviews of games on my channel soon :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 02:02:30 AM »

This might be surprising, but I found some of Starsector's qualities that I enjoy most in Hotline Miami. Top down 2D shooter with similar controls and just as unforgiving combat. Both very fast paced and tactical at the same time.
Huh. Interesting comparison.

I loved the main body of that game, but was a little turned off at the boss fights.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 05:59:07 AM »

The corruption mechanic in the expansion was a massive pain to deal with as well. Regardless of which side you were on

I was rather disappointed with Empire at War; the rock/paper/scissors combat mechanics were too simplistic for my taste.
It also felt too cartooney with its big, fat, slow moving lasers and *** poor explosions; not at all faithful to the lore established in the Xwing/Tie Fighter series.

Basically I want StarWars & Homeworld to have a next gen. baby.

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »

Gimbal! ;D Top-down, more arcadey-than-Starsector, shooter with dynamic modular ship building. You fight in these weird atmospheric space environments (you have to consider aerodynamics, but you don't fall if you stop moving), and it's a lot of fun. If only more people were playing, but we could get a big game going with just us Starsector forumites.
Pages: [1] 2