Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Hyperspace  (Read 54125 times)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperspace
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »

Finally a place where that teeth monster I made wouldn't feel out of place ;D.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2013, 07:10:58 PM »

pic ? dont leave us hanging

rex

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »

Will there be a way to estimate ranges for your fleet with the current fuel you have or will you just sort of have to watch the rate it dips as you travel? Would seem to make sense for travel between busy sectors that you would be able to factor how much fuel you need ahead of time.

Also, it might not be worth it to put too much into the out of fuel scenario. I don't see players good enough to build a large fleet making a simple mistake like not taking enough fuel for a trip. I honestly don't see it occuring too much short of your first few trips and exposure to the mechanic. It might come up if you get caught up in a chase and aren't paying attention maybe, but I see tense explorers doubling back when they are past their halfway point.

Well maybe again if you can get attacked and lose fuel tankers or something that might leave you out in the woods, but yeah, I just don't see it as something that is going to catch players often, not that it won't add tension to exploration, just the fail case probably won't happen too often.

Uhhh....  before I send my massive fleet off to a new star system, I would really like to know I have the fuel to reach it. Increased accident risk from low supplies, and I guess no CR, is bad enough.  In Iron mode, I'd be pretty *** if I got a game over because I could not meaningfully predict if I can simply travel somewhere. Also, it's kinda been said that resources are eventually going to be a lot more scarce, so it won't be as easy to just buy a massive amount of fuel where you know you will have enough. 

I'd really like a range, with maybe even a travel radius or something shown on the hyperspace map.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:32 AM »

In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2013, 10:01:17 AM »

As soon as fuel becomes a serious issue (i.e. not in 0.6a) that's something that will need to be addressed. The map itself could use a revamp, anyway.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 01:39:07 AM »

All those mentions of Ares make me giddy with joy, it's rather swell to know others enjoyed it as much as I did.

I'd like to see this tie into economy stations the player can own and build, fuel stations skimming reactants from gas giants, antimatter weapon facilities smashing particles together in a star's corona, hyperspace buoys that yield credit income for directing traffic down safelanes, that sort of thing.

Edit: Oh, will there be multiple levels of hyperspace that get you to where you're going faster (Ex: Honor Harrington verse) but require more involved methods of access (Anchor stations, gateships, w/e) or more risk? (Here be ye hyperspace dragons/giant streams of gravitic stress)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:45:00 AM by Ishman »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 08:53:22 AM »

Edit: Oh, will there be multiple levels of hyperspace that get you to where you're going faster (Ex: Honor Harrington verse) but require more involved methods of access (Anchor stations, gateships, w/e) or more risk? (Here be ye hyperspace dragons/giant streams of gravitic stress)

I would enjoy this very much! (I'm reading that series right now)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 10:47:38 AM »

Multiple levels of hyperspace would virtually let us make an infinite number of systems, no?

EDIT:
And happy 2500th post. :D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 09:20:01 PM »

Spoiler
[close]
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »

Multiple levels of hyperspace would virtually let us make an infinite number of systems, no?

Well in those books the higher levels of hyperspace are distinct spaces, the only difference being that the higher the level the faster the ships are moving relative to real space. All of the systems still exist in normal space, so you'd have to step down the levels of hyperspace when you get there. It would allow for faster movement though!

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2013, 11:40:58 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

ok wow...
it couldnt be further than from what i was expecting lol...

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2013, 02:44:46 AM »

I like the idea of a hullmod that allows slow movement if out of fuel. It would be expensive in OP and not something that is automatically tossed on, like an ITU. The Bussard Ramjet or a Solar Sail springs to mind.

there should be a hullmod that allow you to burn your personnel into fuel !
What ?! i dont care about those monkeys, my ship is more important. Decompose them into atoms and make fuel with it  ;D

As much as I enjoy 40k, edited for content, per forum rules -Alex
WH40K anyone?
(caution, picture contains coarse language and may disturb some heretics readers)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:42:53 AM by Alex »
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2013, 10:28:50 AM »

So there's something that bugs me. You can get a skill to use sun gravity wells, but if you run out of fuel you just blunder into that? For free? Granted there's the sun crisping. But is there no penalty (normally I mean) for gas giants then? Why would you be able to blunder into something that normally requires special equipment? Maybe it's more a skill based thing and you just manage to pull it off b/c otherwise you're dead?

Anywho. Maybe I'm creating a perceived inequality out of nothing.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »

Sort of like the difference between jumping out of a plane with/without a parachute, I suppose. Or landing on a landing strip vs crash-landing; that may be more apt.

I'll probably take another look at this when adding the "crisping", though. One potential idea is to allow the jump regardless of Navigation skill, but make the degree of crisping dependent on it. But, really, will have to see. This aspect of it is definitely still under construction.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »

So there's something that bugs me. You can get a skill to use sun gravity wells, but if you run out of fuel you just blunder into that? For free? Granted there's the sun crisping. But is there no penalty (normally I mean) for gas giants then? Why would you be able to blunder into something that normally requires special equipment? Maybe it's more a skill based thing and you just manage to pull it off b/c otherwise you're dead?

Anywho. Maybe I'm creating a perceived inequality out of nothing.

I have no problem with the logic, it's like landing on a rocky shore. You need great skill to do it safely, but every idiot can just smash into the rocks (or be smashed into them by a storm).

I'm not sure about gameplay implications, though. If there are systems that are only reachable via sun-wells, just running out of fuel near it sounds like a workaround for characters with low navigation skill.

e/ Ninja'd.  And now I thought of hyperspace storms. I want hyperspace storms. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:40:50 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7