Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37

Author Topic: (ded) Obsidian Void (ASC: B5) (DOM: D2) - 0.6.2a  (Read 299672 times)

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Thiiei's Ascendency (Demo Released)
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 05:29:24 AM »

Fantastic graphics, this is lovely. Will enjoy following this.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »

Fantastic graphics, this is lovely. Will enjoy following this.
^_^

Really nice but the freighter looks a bit "skinny" and that it really can't hold a lot of stuff or is it meant to be so?
Made a few additions to it. Still has the skinny profile, but it doesn't quite look like it will snap in half now.

In other news,

corvettes!

The Ipelak (The slimmer one with the smaller wings) excels at taking out fighters. It doesn't, however, excel at taking out frigates as its weaponry will pretty much literally bounce off of them.

The Falshiiker (With the large wings) is more multi-roled. It can take on fighters with its fast-tracking missiles, but it is best at killing other corvettes or light frigates (in groups).

(Note: corvettes are currently treated as fighters--they come in squads of two, and can be docked at carriers. If there turns out to be a way in the future, it'll be made so they cannot dock at carriers. This is so that they don't completely overtake the role of fighters.)

Also, the Thiian Viktra frigate, that serves as a point defense / anti-fighter platform.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »

The Coalition Velithan destroyer and Thiian Calthiiker bomber are now ingame, as well as an unexpected ship--the Thiian Seteth class Light Carrier, because the Thiians desperately needed a carrier-type vessel with all their strikecraft now ingame.

I think instead of getting right into the campaign, I'll make a second demo release that adds in a bunch of the new ships for you guys to play around with. Making the minimum number of ships to get the campaign working well will probably take a fair bit of time.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »

New video with the 6 new ships ingame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo95RjqrJsA

The second demo release shouldn't be too far off--just need to do some balancing. After that, it's campaign time.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 09:07:40 AM »

Second demo is released, which includes a total of 15 ships, plus a small look into a portion of the campaign map (nothing else in the campaign is modified besides the map).

New ships included (all with new, appropriate weapons, of course):

Thiian:
Calthiiker Rocket Bomber
Ipelak Gunship
Falshiiker Corvette Hunter
Seteth Light Carrier

Coalition:
Velithan Destroyer
Ajliot Fast-Attack Frigate

I took a fair chunk of time and did a lot of balancing, so hopefully it shouldn't play too badly. Also keep in mind that I didn't do the balancing on a map with objectives, so take horrific balance issues with a grain of salt as both of the two maps in this have objectives on them.

Anyway, have fun: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mx11697g0hbmmix/inorbita-D02.zip

Don't expect much more (significant) progress to be posted for a little while. Mass Effect 3 just came out, so my productivity is going to fall right through the floor. Oh God I can't wait...

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Thiiei's Ascendency (Second Demo Released)
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »

I agree, really good graphics. The ships look amazing!

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »

Well, after finishing Mass Effect 3 and being horribly disappointed by the ending, I guess it's back to work on TA.

I finished a concept for the first KTA ship today, and I'm curious as to what you think about it:

The original idea was for them to have vertically oriented ships in the original ITOG, but, for obvious reasons, that wouldn't turn out so well in Starfarer. Thus, I flipped it on its side. The frigate will have one forward-facing hardpoint equipped with a hyperon beam, as well as a single auxiliary defense turret for shooting down fighters and missiles. Best thing it could be compared to is the Hiigaran Ion Cannon Frigate from Homeworld 2.

megal00t

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »

hrrm shall it be possible to flip a sajuuk or dreadnaugt on the side just like you did with your frigate. And make an ion array cannon.(asking you because you have a lot of homeworld experience...)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »

hrrm shall it be possible to flip a sajuuk or dreadnaugt on the side just like you did with your frigate. And make an ion array cannon.(asking you because you have a lot of homeworld experience...)
I don't see why not. Just use the same method you used to make your carrier and then make another transformation along the axis you desire.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Thiiei's Ascendency (Second Demo Fix Released)
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »

Uh, okay, apparently the demo doesn't work on the new version. Would have been nice for somebody to tell me...

Updated: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8dbs1t3d1b4o172/inorbita-d021.zip

Should no longer crash on .51a.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 02:43:20 PM »

Toying around with planets (moons, technically):

Thtiu:

Bli:

I wish it were possible to add glow textures that showed on the planet's night side--would make them look pretty awesome.

Currently, basic campaign functionality is calling for the addition of at least 10 more ships--enough to put the Thiians and Coalition on equal footing, and give the KTA a small but noticeable presence (They will be neutral to Thiian and Coalition forces for the first release). A total of 16 new ships is the goal for the first campaign release though, with the other six going towards minor factions.

If some kind person out there would like to be a big help, there's a minor pirate faction that starts out as hostile to the player that I'd like to get in the first release. They have three unique ships--a fighter, a corvette, and a frigate, so it's not exactly a tall order. This would allow me to focus a little bit more on gameplay, rather than graphics (which takes precious, precious time). As an incentive, to whoever is willing to make those three simple sprites, I'll owe you an art asset--it can be anything, A ship, planet, background, you name it. Thanks in advance :)

Edit:

God

Hurray for Starfarer supporting textures at and possibly beyond 4096x2048 :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:12:33 PM by Psiyon »

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »

That's a lovely marble you have there.

Texture size does seem a -teeny- bit excessive though :)

megal00t

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 05:45:44 AM »

will this be in balance with the vanilla ships? or is this gonna be a total conversion/only these ships

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 06:15:19 AM »

will this be in balance with the vanilla ships? or is this gonna be a total conversion/only these ships
It's a total conversion, meaning the vast majority of vanilla Starfarer content won't be appearing. Thus, no vanilla ships, weapons, planets, etc--everything will be different.

Besides, ITOG:TA ships would get absolutely obliterated due to their lack of shields, making them all about as useful as the Hound :P

Texture size does seem a -teeny- bit excessive though :)
Pssh, 4096x2048 ain't nothing. It just takes a lot more time to make textures that are 8192x4096 and bigger :P

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »

Well, got the last of the moons done (that required serious work, anyway):

Esk: (Coalition Homeworld)

Esk is the moon the eskel human subspecies originated on. Due to the only landmasses being located in the polar regions, the ancient eskel had to deal with extremely hostile temperatures and frequent food shortages. As natural selection took its course, the eskel gained an excellent resistance to the cold, an ability to go for extended periods without nourishment, as well as a pale, blue-tinted complexion that gave them an edge over the half-blind predators that loved feasting on stray humans.

The modern-day civilization on Esk is much more hospitable--though many still live in the freezing polar regions, approximately 50% of the population of 7.6 billion resides in massive floating cities in the moon's warm, equatorial region, or the large peninsula that extends low enough to have a temperate climate. Needless to say, Esk's population is incredibly concentrated, making easy targets for orbital bombardments should the Thiians or KTA ever manage to get into its orbit.

Nara: (Home to several KTA nations)

Nara has no major landmasses at all--the moon is essentially a shallow ocean with specks of land popping up here and there. Because of the limited amount of land (and the small population), civilization on Nara during the early days of orbital exploration wasn't capable of supporting a space program. Primitive by the other three civilizations' standards, a nation from Bli on a 'humanitarian' mission uplifted them--at the cost of turning their moon into, essentially, a massive vacation resort for themselves and everyone else in God's orbit. The Naran economy is founded completely on tourism, and, due to its limited space, has very little else to offer.

If anyone is interested in hearing more backstory, let me know. I'm just refraining from posting walls of text because this forum doesn't have spoiler tags to hide them.

The KTA is also making a little bit of progress.

Talpanaan Heavy Bomber Corvette:

Comparable to the dagger torpedo bombers from vanilla Starfarer, except with more ammo, and less powerful missiles. One to a squad.

Ulnatan Support Destroyer:

Its default variant is loaded with light hyperon beams, making the ship able to lay down a massive amount of fire.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37