Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Metrics  (Read 2784 times)

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
Metrics
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »

What do you think about including voluntary metrics in the game? A system which the player agrees and have EVERYTHING in the game recorded, archived and sent back to Alex so he can analyse and interpret how players play the game. For example he may find out that there's a button or a window or tooltip that noone uses in the fitting screen, or that players keep turning the map on and off constantly and that would inform his design decisions for a better game.

Just to be clear. This would be a statistical anonymous tool that would track user interaction to notice discrepancies and suprise behaviour as explained above.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Metrics
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »

Cool idea.

Though obvious caution has to be taken when interpreting statistics of any kind.
Otherwise you make ***-ups like Windows 8's Metro.  ;)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »

Good idea, Minecraft does this, though Im not sure if they have used it for something.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »

I think this would be helpful, but I'm not sure if the amount of time it would take to program would be less than the amount of time it would save! :P I've never designed a metrics tool, but you would have to have hooks for it wherever you wanted reported: those in turn need to all be programed (or at least passed to a registry or something). Not too bad to implement from the start, but it sounds like a nightmare to add in.

I would love to see the statistics this generated though! I wonder if everyone else spends as much time refitting ships as I do...

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »

But Isn't something like this kinda moot? I mean isn't getting information from the suggestions and general discussion basically do the same thing?  :-\ If Alex also added something like that it would take a lot of time to implement I would think. Time that could be used for working on more important aspects of the game.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »

Would be useful at least during the alpha and possibly beta phase where balance is very much out of proportion.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »

I doubt that setting this up and evaluating all the data would safe time in the end.
Besides, it can't measure the most important thing, how much fun someone is having in a given situation.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:18:05 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:29:32 PM »

I doubt that setting this up and evaluating all the data would safe time in the end.
Besides, it can't measure the most important thing, how much fun someone is having in a given situation.

It can actually help though, if everyone's only using capital ships and cruisers and completely forsaking fighters or frigates that would be reported and would hopefully cause a change in the balance towards a more mixed composition.

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 09:40:34 AM »

It can actually help though, if everyone's only using capital ships and cruisers and completely forsaking fighters or frigates that would be reported and would hopefully cause a change in the balance towards a more mixed composition.
Or worse - noone uses half the ships, to sugest making the less used ships mre appealing. Like everyone always goes to two or three ships and ignores everything else, that sugests nerfing or improving other ship's intership mechanics. Or noone using a module, buff it. Or people almost always die when engine is on fire (new mechanics to mitigate that) or fighters die to this PD on this ship much more often (nerf it or buff other's).

Metrics usually doesn't make a dev change big mechanics but helps tremendously in finding suprising data from player behaviour and that would inform (not decide) developement in balance and mechanics.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 10:46:10 PM »

Finding trends such as what class of ship they prefer to use, what tech level they prefer, what skills they invest the most/least in, what ships are typically casualties, etc. would be very useful information in pinpointing imbalance issues still inherent in the game.  One of the largest issues for me is the fact that pound for pound larger ships are just better.  Onslaught versus 4 lashers?  Please.  They have no chance.