Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Star Citizen: A few months onwards  (Read 5883 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Star Citizen: A few months onwards
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »

Effectively everyone can recall the time, several months ago now that Chris Roberts, creator of Wing Commander announced the crowdfunding campaign to what has now become almost as legendary of a game as Half Life 3 - Star Citizen. Well, not quite as legendary as a game that's announcement holds enough water and impact to be covered on the front page of every news agency... everywhere... in the whole world, and overshadow any other event in the gaming industry, but for what it held to PC gamers and to jealous console owners, it was hellishly exciting.
Currently, Star Citizen sits at over $10M in combined backing from the finished Kickstarter campaign and the ongoing campaign at their website with supposedly more money ranging in several millions from 'private investors' in other words, rich people who saw the amount the game was making and wanted in. No publishers, yet this game is better funded than the vast majority of publisher backed games.

Strange lecture aside, it's a few months in now and Star Citizen has mostly dropped off the radar to non-backers as the development process goes deeply underway. Recently, they released this video on the new 300 series craft from Origin Jumpworks showing how the graphics engine had progressed.

What are people's thoughts on this potential masterpiece in the making?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: Star Citizen: A few months onwards
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:57:48 PM »

It will be the game I have always dreamed of, if they can do what they promised up to now.
But I feel that IF it gets finished it'll be finished eons from now.

So I'm not going to anticipate this game. It's a waste of time. (The anticipating, not the game.)

Edit: Oh, I do dislike their marketing, selling people special packages, ships and all that stuff. It feels... wrong. Like they're money grabbers or something. I guess we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:00:22 PM by Gotcha! »

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 01:31:17 PM »

Edit: Oh, I do dislike their marketing, selling people special packages, ships and all that stuff. It feels... wrong. Like they're money grabbers or something. I guess we'll see.
It's so they can get more money at a higher speed. They're incentives to spend more or to invest more, so they get more money.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Cruis.In

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »

something is wrong with it though. WHen they first pitched SC they said they need X amount of money to show their potential investors there was still viability in this type of game. They exceeded their amount by far.

They said 2 million would show the investors who would supply the rest. They said 5 (or6) million would get us the most systems and all the bells and whistles inclusive of player owned bengal carriers.

Since then they've allowed the fund raising to continue beyond 10million. My question is, if it could have been done for 5 million on max bells and whistles...and the minimum needed was 2 million, then why the fund raising drive.

My personal opinion is that there are no other investors and he needs ALL of his funds from crowd funding to do the game.

And while the adverts look good like the video for the 300i, they are a gigantic waste of money in the end. No one is going to play a video. And the video is not demonstrating gameplay or anything. So it is easy to see how they will burn through the money.

I backed them twice on their page and on FB. Even then I doubted we'd see a game within 3 years and I doubt even more it will have the same vision as intended.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »

My worry about this game is that it will just not be particularly fun. What little I've seen about the gameplay so far suggest that it might become a very beautiful, detailed and enlarged Wing Commander. Wing Commander feels quite slow and generic to me nowadays.

I'm actually more excited for Enemy Starfighter, where the innovation comes in form of new mechanics.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »

My worry about this game is that it will just not be particularly fun. What little I've seen about the gameplay so far suggest that it might become a very beautiful, detailed and enlarged Wing Commander. Wing Commander feels quite slow and generic to me nowadays.

I'm actually more excited for Enemy Starfighter, where the innovation comes in form of new mechanics.
I think currently they're really focusing hard on making it look very good, designing it well, making the lore, designing gameplay elements etc.

There's a lot of gameplay, just not coded yet.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »

I never played wing commander (having only entered the western "mainstream" gaming scene at like 2007) but I heard it's like star conflict which I didn't particularly enjoy. Hopefully it's not gonna be like that.

It's hard to screw up a space fighter game though, I feel, hopefully the guy knows what he's doing...
mmm.... tartiflette

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »

I've gotta agree with this, fun game mechanics and interesting gameplay> prettiness imo.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »

The game isn't even out yet - both sides just use assumption as ammunition at this point basically. Sure, fin game mechanics beat prettiness, but who says SC isn't gonna have those? Assumptions are bad in that they're playing on chance rather than fact.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 09:38:11 AM »

I never played wing commander (having only entered the western "mainstream" gaming scene at like 2007) but I heard it's like star conflict

It's not.