Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kinetic Void  (Read 4634 times)

Decer304

• Commander
  • Starsector starts with the letter "S"
    • View Profile
Kinetic Void
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:32:22 AM »

This game looks really interesting. It honestly looks like a 3D version of Starsector.

http://badlandstudio.com/kinetic-void/ Its also on steam early Access.

I think this game has real potential and is in Alpha. What do you guys think? Is it worth the $20 from the look of it as well as it concepts? Cos i'm not sure if i should get it.
"Kat, 6, push back the attack on Sword Base find out what we are dealing with"

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Kinetic Void
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:35:20 AM »

Ask Sproginator he actually has it, but from what i have seen it doesn't look worth it. atm for the price it is. (maybe $10)

Decer304

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:36:42 AM »

Well, they said that when you buy it, you gain a 33% discount, which means that the final price would be $30.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:41:53 AM »

Yeah i have been looking at videos and the steam community page, the game looks really good, and i will definitely be buying it sometime.

Also check the steam community page of it, it has a lot of info and reviews/videos/picture.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »

Hey, someone summoned me?

Yeah I got the game, I wasn't really impressed with the art style, so I just sorta ignored it

I'll have to play it to get a verdict though
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »

Kickstarted it. At the moment, there is no reason to play it, because there is almost literally no content. Don't think you can properly mod it yet either.

Also, I will ignore it completely if they don't let me create symmetrical ships. The freedom to place modules where I want to is great, but there should be a mirror option. I'm OCD.

Decer304

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »

LOL, me two, i have to have the ship symmetrical, and especially at times when i cant (not enough pieces, too expensive) i start to twitch. But as for the game, i'm gonna wait to furthur in development to buy the game, maybe when its in beta. Or hopefully, but i doubt it, it appears on a steam sale (cant wait for midyear sales, so many games i want to get.).

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »

hey... sorry for the shameless bump, but is there an update on how the game is these days?

it just went on sale on steam, (pelhamds, if u want it for $10, now is ur chance) so I'm wondering if it's worthwhile right about now

thanks in advance

gunny
mmm.... tartiflette

Decer304

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »

It had about 3 or 4 game updates since the last post on this thread. The game has gotten a bit better, but still alot needs to be done. I think its worth $10, that means you also get 66% off the final price.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »

Just gave it a spin, still barely anything to do. If you buy it now, don't expect to do anything but make pretty ships.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »

right, just making pretty ships...

guess I'll keep waiting for now, if it's worth the money I'll gladly give them the full price, better than committing prematurely I think

thanks guys
mmm.... tartiflette

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 11:49:32 PM »

Yeah, I was actually thinking of necroing this thread as well when I noticed the sale, but decided not to.

Did some research of my own and it doesn't seem to have much game to it, at least not yet. It seems that the only thing even remotely fleshed out is the ship builder. Ultimately, I decided not to purchase it. It seemed kind of liking buying Spore for the creature creator. Yeah, it's pretty neat, but I want to play a fun game.

The combat looks to be similar to EVE online's, but with a less user-friendly UI, and without the decisions or scale of combat that makes EVE Online interesting (you can only ever control one ship). If you've ever played EVE Online, you'd probably know that the UI and combat are some of its weakest aspects, so that's saying something. If you've ever played any games where you dogfight other fighters, you'll be extremely disappointed by Kinetic Void's combat. There's nothing 'kinetic' about it.

Alpha is alpha, yes, but the biggest issues I have with the combat can't be solved with a bit of polish; it would need a complete re-write. It makes me wish I had X3 so I had something else to compare it to, to see if the problem is endemic to the genre. EDIT: there are probably some gameplay videos on youtube. eh, i'll look it up later, maybe
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:52:09 PM by naufrago »

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 04:58:24 AM »

I have been playing it for a little while  (ie most of last night, my internets died so i played it) the ship creating is excellent, though a bit unfriendly until you perservere , the rest of the game is meh....combat not so good (really difficult to work out) even trying to open any UI is hard....though i still will play it :P

(I now want to play X3 again naufrago )