Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 64

Author Topic: [0.9.5a] Hiigaran Descendants v2.0.4/v5  (Read 466992 times)

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Hiigaran Descendants v1.5
« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »

in my opinion the fleet point cost is too high while the ship is great on its own it can still have difficulty with large fleets, and its not always easy to get a large fleet into a battle with that ship

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »

I still haven't built up enough cash to even buy the Admiralty Badge yet, so I need to get that, then I want to hop into a Sajuuk to replace the Koshiir, then I have to work up, what, 1.8mil to get a Khar? I think?

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »

1.2.  ;D

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »

Still hafta work up 1.8m then. First for the Admiralty Badge, then for the Khar. That's assuming I miss out on the Sajuuk, which I likely won't. I just hope the Sajuuk has better dissipation than the Koshiir or having 5 Singularities is gonna ramp that flux up so high.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »

Or you reduce the price in the game files. But I never said that. ;D

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2013, 02:14:05 PM »

Or I can just buy a Jet and magically turn it into a Khar, but I didn't tell you that either.  :P

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »

Never heard of that trick. A master wizard you must be.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2013, 03:55:29 PM »

(Or he's just pulling some cheap save editing tricks :P)

Blade Skydancer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »

Hello.

I'd like to say that this faction is one of the best I've tried so far, and possibly one of the best around for Starsector. The sprites are great, the ships are balanced and fair and fun as hell to fly.

I have a bit of an issue, though, and that's with the sustained ion beams. In the games(Homeworld 1 and 2) the ion cannons would fire for a few seconds and then cycle off to cool down and recharge, and with these ions not doing that(also most of them missing the classic sound), it breaks the feel of them somewhat.

If you feel up to it, could you include short-duration versions of the same guns? And possibly large double-mounts, like seen on the original Battlecruiser(which is the Sajuuk-khar class in this mod. Which I love, by the way. Haven't yet gotten to fly it, though.)
PS, if you download my mod, I actually used the actual sound files from Homeworld 2 and synced the Ion Burst Cannon and Ion Stream Cannon's charge-up, burst length, and charge-down to those sounds. </shamelessplug>

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2013, 07:01:42 PM »

Hi, and thanks! I am glad you like it.

I know how you feel. I really love the ion cannons in the Homeworld games. Especially that godly sound effect.
Unfortunately I don't think I should turn all beams into a single-fire beam. Mainly because I tried it.
Beams are already kind of weak and having one that has to reload continuously, I think it'd frustrate people. (It frustrated me, I tried it.) Ofcourse I can increase the damage to high amounts, but it doesn't feel right.
And if someone has a bunch of ships loaded up with these beams then the sounds, when in battle, would probably make one nuts.

I dunno. Maybe I'll meet you half-way and only convert the large laser into one. I'll have to do some tests.

Where can I find your mod? :)

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »

Hey Gotcha!

that sounds like a great idea, ihmo. HW lore states that effective ion-cannon tech needs alot of power - one that is normally limited to a frigate or bigger - and even that needs the smaller, frigate sized-ship to essentially be built around the cannon, sacrificing all other weapons due to energy constraints. by making it a large, relativelty flux heavy weapon that fires a short(ish) burst that deals relatively high damage, you should be able to replicate the effect. Then again, some races do have highly sophisticated energy generation/weapons tech that allow them to circumnavigte this limitation, with the Kadeshi with their multi-beam frigates (Laser Ion Spam!) and the Bentusi with their Super Acolytes (Fighters with capital class weapons! yay!) being the most obvious examples.

Blade Skydancer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3310.0

Right here, Gotcha!.

And I didn't mean convert the beams into the short-duration versions, I meant make alternate versions of them, include them as an option for arming your ships. Anyway, feel free to pick apart that mod and use it as you see fit.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2013, 01:40:20 AM »

If you want to try much better damage beams, you can try using the ammo system, similar to the Pulsed Beam Cannon from the Neutrino Corp. High damage, quick burst which is then limited by the ammo recharging. The advantage is that unlike a beam with no ammo, you can create very fast bursts to put out a lot of damage quickly, like a supersized Pulsar Beam but the DPS overall is modulated by the ammo. Otherwise, you end up with a beam that fires rapidly, puts out a lot of damage and (as far as I know) has no cooldown independant of it's chargedown. Long chargedown times can be dangerous too because the beam continues to inflict damage and if it's a high DPS beam, then that chargedown damage can really rack up.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2013, 04:26:51 AM »

@Blade SkydancerL Thanks, I'll go check it out. :)

DanJSC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »

Say, do you hope/plan to do the Vaygr's ships at some point?  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 64