Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 64

Author Topic: [0.9.5a] Hiigaran Descendants v2.0.4/v5  (Read 466934 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Hiigaran Descendants v1.3.2
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »

Yeah, I noticed after posting that I'd completely missed out any ideas for the SIB  :D

But yeah, maybe that'd give some food for thought on new guns.

Perhaps moving the SIB up to a large mount, thus making it's f/s and DPS on par with similar heavy weapons and thus also typically mounted on ships that can handle it's needs? Then implement one of the suggestions above to fill the void?

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »

I too agree that the SIB isn't all that great of a weapon in the first place. The range is mediocre, the damage isn't all that unique, and the flux cost is through the roof.
If they are strike weapons that are best coming into play after the shields are down, there are far better options for the slot. The flux cost being much higher than the damage itself means only a ship with a massive advantage in flux capacity and dissipation relative to the ship it's shooting at can make use of them.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »

Sounds good to me. I moved the sustained ion beam to a large slot and upped its damage/flux use, created an ion beam for the medium slot which fires for one second, then briefly cools.
The Rathan has a light accelerated pulsar now instead of beams.

@Flare: Thanks for your feedback.

Edit: The medium beam isn't working out for me and is back as a continuous beam.
I wonder though, how do people feel about the vanilla continuous beams?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:24:42 PM by Gotcha! »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »

Good en masse, provided the ships you're shooting at don't have good shield efficiencies. Otherwise, they generally just tickle ships.

Perhaps repurpose this ion beam into something of a baby Tachyon Lance? I.E. Notable range, fair flux usage, low damage, no listed EMP damage, the trick being that it causes untold EMP arcs upon striking the hull? If you're using them on the shields, it's meh and borderline pathetic. BUT, use it on exposed hull?.. Well then I just don't know what went wrong. Everything went dead at the same time, boss.
That's assuming you know enough coding wizardry to repurpose the TachLance's special effect and give the ion beam a matching effect instead of purple and make it spawn numerous weaker arcs or maybe occasional destructive ones. Hell, even without the EMP effect, a weapon that becomes much more powerful if used properly sounds appealing. Oh, and burst, if that wasn't obvious by mentioning the TachLance. A continuous beam that arcs lightning sounds rather terrifying if grouped up like on larger Hiigaran ships.

Does the Rathan have twin light autopulsars or just a singular one? Autopulsars seems like a nice fit, looking at the orangey/yellow pylons that poke from it.

EDIT: Minor fiddles with post.
DOUBLE EDIT: More fiddling.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:54:59 PM by Silver Silence »

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »

i prefer continuous beams for fighters and and frigates, havnt seen any that would be usefull against something larger

also im about half way from buying the flag ship

also, massive battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syaw5JAQlOA&feature=youtu.be

somehow your making me want to make my own faction, only i have no idea what to do outside of making the ships themselves

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »

Well, if you need help with the basics, feel free to ask.  ;)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »

I tried the dreadnought and found it surprisingly underwhelming for its cost. Once the shield go down it get wrecked pretty easily as it has quite low armor and hull (for its size). And given the amount of flux generated by his weapons, he overload very quickly.

Honestly, i prefer to take a Skaal cruiser. For less than a half of the FP of the dreadnought, you can get the same giant laser.

Still, my favorite is the Kuun lan. 6 heavy missile hardpoints with fast missile rack, add in augmented ammo and you can go macross missile massacre and butcher everything on the screen (well, until you ran out of ammo).

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2013, 04:12:06 AM »

i prefer continuous beams for fighters and and frigates, havnt seen any that would be usefull against something larger

also im about half way from buying the flag ship

also, massive battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syaw5JAQlOA&feature=youtu.be

somehow your making me want to make my own faction, only i have no idea what to do outside of making the ships themselves

poniiiiiiiiii...........

On-topic:
Helmut, do you mean the Sajuuk-Khar? That laser it has doesn't seem like something you need to be firing off at every other opportunity. Same with the Skaal, the flux it builds up is insane so it shouldn't be shot all the time.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2013, 05:06:25 AM »

poniiiiiiiiii........... ???

Sajuuk-Khar underwhelming? True, I didn't go overboard and made it invulnerable or anything, but it can hold its own for a long time, against even the biggest of ships. It chews up anything smaller than a cruiser in seconds.
The giant laser should only be used against capital ships, and it's important to make sure you don't run out of flux. Gotta have that shield up! :)
Why the high cost? Well, the Hiigarans only have one. They would not just give it away to just anyone. (Why would they sell it in the first place? I hope to have some sort of campaign missions in later versions, to explain that.)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2013, 05:27:35 AM »

poniiiiiiiiiiiiiii~  :D

Sajuuk-Khar underwhelming? True, I didn't go overboard and made it invulnerable or anything, but it can hold its own for a long time, against even the biggest of ships. It chews up anything smaller than a cruiser in seconds.
The giant laser should only be used against capital ships, and it's important to make sure you don't run out of flux. Gotta have that shield up! :)
Why the high cost? Well, the Hiigarans only have one. They would not just give it away to just anyone. (Why would they sell it in the first place? I hope to have some sort of campaign missions in later versions, to explain that.)

As the "Pride of New Hiigara", I think there's definitely leeway to give the Sajuuk-Khar some more bang for it's buck.  :P
Don't listen to me, we've got enough cries of OP-ness in many mod factions

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2013, 05:41:44 AM »

I wasn't about to. ;D

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2013, 05:50:21 AM »

Well fine! Be that way! Hrmph! *storms off*  :P

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »

poniiiiiiiiiiiiiii~  :D
yes poni

I tried the dreadnought and found it surprisingly underwhelming for its cost. Once the shield go down it get wrecked pretty easily as it has quite low armor and hull (for its size). And given the amount of flux generated by his weapons, he overload very quickly.

Honestly, i prefer to take a Skaal cruiser. For less than a half of the FP of the dreadnought, you can get the same giant laser.

Still, my favorite is the Kuun lan. 6 heavy missile hardpoints with fast missile rack, add in augmented ammo and you can go macross missile massacre and butcher everything on the screen (well, until you ran out of ammo).

just what were you doing with your ship? fighting an entire fleet with just that ship?

short of torpedoes I found it could take a beating at least with the right hull mods

anyway since i havnt been able to get a nice fleet battle heres a simulation, an yea im using different weapons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-8pyGbi2k&feature=youtu.be

Personaly i find the missile capital ship to be more satisfying to fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-jc_hTIXoY&feature=youtu.be

yea i panicked a bit when i saw that wall of metal flung my way

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »

And people find the Pride too weak? Standing up to 3 onslaughts... Pff. ;D
Were you playing with half damage? If not, damn, that thing might need a nerf too!

Nice battle vs the council.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »

yea half damage, not really willing yet to go full
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 64