Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AI Shielding too good?  (Read 7705 times)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
AI Shielding too good?
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:16:49 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that after all the recent AI changes, that the AI is a little bit too spot-on with their shielding?  I can understand this on Elite or Veteran-Crewed ships, but it's on all of them and it's really frustrating.

You can almost never overload them unless you launch missiles, because they will stagger their shields on and off every second JUST at maximum flux to minimize damage.  And unless some other missile is incoming, they will ALWAYS drop their shields when a Sabot Missile is incoming.

I'm not saying they're unbeatable or even close, but it's made Sabots almost useless in my current game and it lets the larger ships do some ridiculous shield on-off stuttering to avoid damage.

Is there any chance of this getting adjusted?  I know it was made so Elite/Veteran crews have better aiming, repairs, and performance boosts than Green/Regulars.  I think that the AI efficiency of the ships needs to be scaled as well.  Green Recruits shouldn't be able to perfectly time their shields to avoid overload every time.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: AI Shielding too good?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:21:32 PM »

well... tbh I think the AI isn't the problem, I do the shield stutter all the time too

if anything, I think there could be a shield open delay or a flux cost like how phase shields are right now. That is, if you think shield stuttering is a problem at all, which I might be inclined to agree with but I'm not sure yet
mmm.... tartiflette

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »

Sometimes, I find it the ai don't vent/ drop shields for extended periods of time when they could easily clear their flux buildup.

But I think that the Ai is a bit too good at using fortress shields :P

targetstar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »

Yea i think they should use venting more...

What i wish was that when my ship come with a omni shield gen, i can aim it without haveing to move my mouse. It is hard to hit something and when missles (or enemies) come room behind i have to stop shooting because i can't aim properly at the person in front .

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »

If you're confident in your ship's autofire capabilities, you can quickly look at a ship, target it, then move shields back into position and let your guns focus down the harasser.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 12:27:10 AM »

If anything the Shield AI is actually quite poor.  It has difficulty handling priority over which side to block fire from. It doesn't drop as soon as it should which causes issues when dissipation is needed.  It prefers to rotate the shield rather than dropping and bringing it back up to catch the projectile.  Stuff like that leaves me doubtful it's anywhere near as good as you say.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 06:58:07 AM »

If anything the Shield AI is actually quite poor.  It has difficulty handling priority over which side to block fire from. It doesn't drop as soon as it should which causes issues when dissipation is needed.  It prefers to rotate the shield rather than dropping and bringing it back up to catch the projectile.  Stuff like that leaves me doubtful it's anywhere near as good as you say.

Yes, because this game would be so fun to play if the AI was perfect at using the shield.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »

It's not fun to play if the AI is poor at using its shields either.

In any case, I don't see how you got that claim from Reshy's comment. Did you quote the correct person?

From my experience and gleaming from the comments in the thread it seems that veteran players will know the defects of the AI's usage of the shields enough to abuse it, but the AI is smart enough that newer players or some people that don't pilot that well will face a challenge.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 06:13:55 AM »

I always get front shield emitter because i can't control the ship AND the shields at the same time. I wish i could set shields to auto-turning so i can focus on flying and shooting. I could be better than AI if i had 4 hands and 2 mice to control the ship.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:29:42 AM »

You dont want AI to control your omni-shield because once you near any friendly ship AI will try to shield ship from friendly "possible" ramming damage and ignore all enemy fire in the process. With front shield emitter its even worse.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »

You dont want AI to control your omni-shield because once you near any friendly ship AI will try to shield ship from friendly "possible" ramming damage and ignore all enemy fire in the process. With front shield emitter its even worse.
finally someone who dont want auto sielding ;P
& a question as for the topic:
AI shielding too good. . . for . . . who ? (no offence )
human aint too perfect and neither do AI , i can't perfectly dodge or protect my ship with an omni shield but i certenally dont want AI don't it for me
this is't an EA game 

what purpose is "playing" a game that plays it for you ?

-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »

what purpose is "playing" a game that plays it for you ?
Level and/or money grinding!  Especially if soft cap is at a level lower than one desires to play at.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »

I can't tell if you're serious or not :D. I often wish that game designers had never discovered how addicting to players grinding is, because it can really annoy me...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »

It was originally intended as a joke reply, but it has a sobering element of truth that can be taken seriously.  I can see people grinding Starsector for days, or even weeks, to get a character beyond level 60.  Years ago, people would play Diablo 2 for months, despite SEVERE experience penalties, just to get a character to maximum level of 99.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 08:05:28 PM »

Its sad that its true... in most games I find early and intermediate levels much more fun than the upper caps... that depends on the game and scaling system (if any) of course.
Pages: [1] 2