Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What epoch is the Venture from?  (Read 2097 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
What epoch is the Venture from?
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »

It has engines and shield coloration of a low-tech ship, but hull coloration and mixed weapon slots of a midline ship.  Hence, topic question.

DM818

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What epoch is the Venture from?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:12:08 PM »

If I had to make a guess I would say that it is a midline ship which due to it's primary role as a mining vessel did not receive the advances in tech for shields or engines.  It is also possible that it was created between the low-tech and midline ships.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:26:07 AM »

I'd definitely say late Mastery epoch, on the transition to Core epoch.
The heavy armor and defensive ballistic weapons come from early mastery (Dominator etc.), the inefficient rotating shields  from the middle Mastery epoch (Enforcer, Lasher) and the (at the time probably still primitive) energy weapons are a novelty of the late Mastery epoch.
I'd also speculate that the Venture and Mule are not military designs, but armed civilian ships. Private corporations were probably quicker to adopt the unproven energy weapons. The military, hesitantly, used offensive energy weapons for the first time as a very small part of the armament of the Conquest-class, likely the first ship of the Core epoch.

There are some more transitional ships in the game, like the Sunder and the Apogee.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:53:16 AM »

To me the Venture has the industrial look shared by other mid-epoch civilian ships, like the Mule and mining drones. Furthermore it shares similarities to mid-tech military vessels such as the Brawler and the Vigilance.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:44 AM »

But then it has features that clearly distinguish it from Core-epoch ships, like the rotating shields, slow speed and heavy armor. Speed (40) an armor (1250) are actually exactly between the most common Master and Core-epoch designs, the Dominator (30, 1500) and the Eagle (50, 1000). Same goes for travel speed, hull integrity and fuel consumption. That all speaks for an origin in between epochs. I'd actually assume the same for the Mule.

For clarity, because the official terms are not used as much here:

Mastery-epoch = low tech
Core-epoch = midline
Expansion-epoch = high-tech

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.