Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What Mod is more Polished and worth play long term?  (Read 10151 times)

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What Mod is more Polished and worth play long term?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »

Your abject denial merely furthers the myriad proofs of my theory!

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »

If you want a different starting ship, Tore Up Plenty is compatible with most other mods and it allows you to pick something fresh and new right off the bat.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »

If you want balance, your best bet is to have modded factions fighting against each other as the vanilla factions usually aren't a challenge.

There's also total conversion mods like ironclads and ascendancy that are total conversions and only have factions that are in the mod.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 05:33:27 PM »

If you want balance, your best bet is to have modded factions fighting against each other as the vanilla factions usually aren't a challenge.

There's also total conversion mods like ironclads and ascendancy that are total conversions and only have factions that are in the mod.

That's putting it mildly.  The "Council" Frigates are more powerful than most Vanilla Destroyers, with ridiculous OP values (Over 100 for some), loads of stock hull mods, and overly-efficient weaponry (Blasters with all the damage/range, but none of the flux in small slots, ect).

They stomp the vanilla factions so hard that it's stupid.  The other mod factions are similar, but the "Council" is the biggest offender in Excelin, IMO.

However, if you want a nice vanilla battle fix, just run Excelin with only the vanilla factions.  Huge battles all the time.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 07:31:18 PM »

That's putting it mildly.  The "Council" Frigates are more powerful than most Vanilla Destroyers, with ridiculous OP values (Over 100 for some), loads of stock hull mods, and overly-efficient weaponry (Blasters with all the damage/range, but none of the flux in small slots, ect).

They stomp the vanilla factions so hard that it's stupid.  The other mod factions are similar, but the "Council" is the biggest offender in Excelin, IMO.

However, if you want a nice vanilla battle fix, just run Excelin with only the vanilla factions.  Huge battles all the time.

Another option is to simply remove the council from the mod, since he provided a way to do so.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »

Nanostrike,

I made a conscious decision not to include and mention Exerelin in my post for the reasons you mentioned. I am not suggesting you use that mod if you are looking for a polished mod, rather I am suggesting you get a bunch of mods like black rock, Thule, nutrino , etc and play with those instead. They are more or less balanced against each other, though obviously, as I've said before in the post you replied to, they are not balanced against the vanilla factions. With enough modded fleets moving about, the two vanilla factions are little more than a blip.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:51:37 PM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »

Some mods are actually very well balanced and if not even underpowered compared to vanilla, can't just pull all mods over one line. ASP syndicate for example is probably the most balanced faction i've ever encountered.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 06:13:56 AM »

To a point that the ASP Syndicate almost feel underpowered after fighting everything else for a while.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 03:49:16 AM »

Although this is true for most mods, Exerelin is still under development which can be frustrating as save files are normally not compatible across mod updates. Having said that there hasn't been an update for a few weeks :P but one soon (tm)!

Also, I had a lot of fun with Project Ironclads (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=431.0) so that could be worth a look :)

No reason you can't have a save game for each mod anyways :D

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 10:08:03 AM »

Unfortunately, the few mods that work with vanilla, and stay fully true to vanilla (whilst making the game more interesting and dynamic) are few and far between. They also tend to be horrifically unstable, resulting in a lot of fatal.null frustrations.

The only ones I can honestly recommend are;

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5373.0 (Galatia Complete [Music Revamp])
and
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4106.0 (Ingame-Console Commands[For Post-Crash Damage Control])

IMO you forget about the Vanilla Variants mod
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4605.0

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 09:50:47 PM »

If you want a different starting ship, Tore Up Plenty is compatible with most other mods and it allows you to pick something fresh and new right off the bat.

I second this one.  It's pretty fun to mix things up with.

NITROtbomb

• Commander
  • I like Mah glass cannon ships :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 11:35:06 PM »

well in one game of exerelin i had the asp syndicate kick me and everyone else out of the system (should have taken a screenshot :( )
Dancing and playing games, how does that work.. well YOU tell me!
Pages: 1 [2]