Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 5422 times)

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New Computer
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 04:28:06 AM »

The one thing I forgot about when you want to be drowned in figures and techno babble ask Xareh our resident spec splurger.

Seriously though, PM him with what you want/would like and he will give you good options and info on what they are like, though he does have a massive hard on for AMD GPUs :P

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 04:33:16 AM »

massive hard on for AMD GPUs :P
Me want GTX 780!
But, in all seriousness - they're just plain better right now.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 08:08:08 AM »

I'm going to come across as a massive stick in the mud but: don't spend that whole $4k on a new laptop - like other have said the performance gains at the upper end just aren't worth it. Spend like ~2k, and then in another 4 years spend the rest. Better yet, ask yourself if you even need to spend 2k if 1 will do.

Foxtrot

• Lieutenant
  • \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »

Damn, this really exploded. But on to the subject, i mean soon as anywhere from 1 month to the end of summer/winter (depending on what hemisphere your on), alright, so i don't care if it's flashy, i just want raw power to play ANYTHING (i want to keep this for a long time) and portability, though ruggedness would be a very good thing (again i want this for a long time). And now i'm off to get my head spun around with techno babble  :P

Also
1) What is your budget?
$4000
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
USA
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:N/A
b. Dislike:ACER (I HATE YOU SO MUCH)
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
Not with 4 grand
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Gaming and web surfing
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
both
 Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
TEH BEST GAMES EVAR!!!!!1!!!11!one!!1!!!
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
NEED 2 LIKE 3-4
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
prefer seeing it, fine with online
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows
Windows 7
Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Non-glossy
Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Nope
15) When are you buying this laptop?
1 month-5 months
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
5 years
Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
AT LEAST 1 TB
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
NO
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:36:16 PM by Foxtrot »
"Do your duty as you see it, and damn the consequences!"
-General George S. Patton

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 12:57:49 AM »

I still don't get the whole "OMG I HAS TO SPEND ALL 4k ON A SINGLE LAPTOP" stance, but I just have a completely different mindset.

Now the first thing that would be interesting is: Do you need the 3-4 hours battery while the laptop is doing something and if so, to what degree is he doing something?

Apart from that, the whole idea of "Need one laptop for 5 years" can go seriously wrong. If a cheap one breaks, you might as well use the chance to upgrade, because getting a laptop fixed is in the best cases just annoying. In the worst cases you will have to pay for replacement parts yourself, because the parts break one week after the guarantee expired.

You can either buy one now for 4k, which will have problems down the road (weaker battery, mechanical wear, dead pixels, broken sectors on the harddrive), or you can buy a new one each year for 800$, which will be weaker, but will still get the job done.

I just had an idea for calculating this stuff. Will edit it when I'm finished.

EDIT: So my system wasn't entirely accurate, but taking a look at Moore's Law (18 months -> double power) helped quite a bit. After 5 years you would have 10 times as much power. So unless you manage to get a laptop for 4k$ that is 6.35 times more powerful than a laptop for 800$, you might want to rethink your idea.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:33:27 AM by FloW »
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Foxtrot

• Lieutenant
  • \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »

It's because that laptop would be the only thing i would do for a long long time, hickville has nothing, at all, whatsoever, so i might as well make it the best i can. Also i plan on that laptop being a hell of alot more powerful than 6.35 times an $800, hopefully up in the 15 times range. Also nice comic, but yes i do need this, because (and i can't stress this enough) i live in the middle of hickville, where there is NOTHING BUT FIELDS AND STUFF THAT DEALS WITH FIELDS, also i need this for hurry up and waiting in a year.

Also, my current computer is the Aspire X1700 by Acer, running Vista, with an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40 GHz with 4 GB RAM, it doesn't mean much but it lets you know what i'm trying to switch away from
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:33:24 PM by Foxtrot »
"Do your duty as you see it, and damn the consequences!"
-General George S. Patton

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 11:36:26 PM »

Unless you have a crappy postal service (or none at all), I still don't see the problem. I get that you want a laptop, because you have crappy internet, but it's not like power/price scales linear in computing. I just remember that my parents bought a laptop one year after I got my current one (700€). It was cheaper (600€), had a better graphics card, better CPU, better everything. Funniest thing? Theirs was the cheapest one around.

By the way, the reason why I said that none of my calculated system were entirely correct: No matter what function I used for power/price, it was impossible to beat Moore's law in the end. In some systems it took 2-3 years, but in the end it was always better to buy cheaper laptops. Perhaps upgrade every 2 years and get one for 1600$.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago
Pages: 1 [2]