Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Major Crashing issue  (Read 6400 times)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Major Crashing issue
« on: May 19, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »

Im having a big issue with the game itself crashing on me. It crashes the java which i updated and even worse it does it at random. It starts by making the loading into battle and battle related things freeze momentarily and then it suddenly crashes giving me a ( Fatal: Ship hull variant [variant id] not found! Check starfarer.log for more info)

heres what i got for the log

27615 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [variant id] not found!
java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [variant id] not found!
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.L.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.A.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.A.Ô00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.A.Ô00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.A.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.super.new.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.OoOO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.A.ÖÖÒ000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.A.A.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

i dont know what variant is but whatever it is its legit *** me off...i wanna play the game and i love this game but regardless of the mod and even when its off and its vanilla it crashes....ive dealt with this for months as every 5 minutes it crashes. Will next update fix this for sure please?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Major Crashing issue
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »

Hmm. This is almost certainly caused by an issue with a mod, or by editing some core files by hand.

A clean installation should fix it for you - make sure to manually delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector folder, just to make sure nothing from the old install remains.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »

Ill try again..i have tried this before...ill see if 3rd is the charm. i dont put the file in programs i put it in a my documents folder...can that cause this?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »

You mean you install the game in your Documents folder? That could cause problems, yes. AFAIK Windows does some odd stuff with permissions there.

(Make sure you re-download the installer, too - the links are here.)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 02:19:19 PM »

ok :)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »

it didnt work...it still crashes all the same...i dont understand why its doing this :(

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »

Hmm. Can you make sure that you're running what you think you're actually running, and don't have multiple copies of the game installed in different locations on your system?

If you're using the desktop icon to run it, right click on it, click "properties", then click the "open file location" button (this is for windows 7, but XP/Vista have similar though not identical paths to the same thing). You should get an explorer window open in the game's directory - double check to make sure that this is the directory you deleted and then re-installed into.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 03:21:59 PM »

i dont i delete them all when i put in the new one :(

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

Ah. That could cause all sorts of issues, since they share the data in the same location in the registry, but the format of it can change between game versions. I doubt it's causing the specific problem you're having, though, except for possibly contributing to the confusion in getting it sorted out.

My question, though, isn't really affected by that, since what I'm really asking is for you to make sure that you don't have multiple copies of 0.54.1a installed. (And thus, perhaps, running it from one place by accident, while reinstalling it in another, to no effect.)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »

i dont have it :(

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »

Well... I'm not sure what the issue is, then. However, it almost has to be something going wrong with your install of the game, because:

1) I can't reproduce it, and I'd definitely run into such a persistent bug
2) I'm not getting reports of anyone else having this issue
3) The error in the log very much looks like the result of a modding screwup (possibly from changing the sim_opponents.csv file to adjust what ships are available to fight against in "Run Simulation", but it could also be something else.)

i dont have it :(

If you can provide more information about what you've actually done, where you've looked, etc, I might be able to help. The above really doesn't tell me much - I'm assuming it means that you performed the steps I outlined in a previous message, but I'm actually not sure whether that's the case, or whether you mean something else.

Come to think of it, you haven't explicitly confirmed that you did a clean reinstall in the way I asked. I'm assuming you did, but since I can't actually read your mind or look at your computer, I don't actually know. Basically, I need more details if I'm to figure out what's actually going on here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:44:03 PM by Alex »

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »

I deleted them all then reinstalled it...then i put mods back on them it crashes then i turn mods off and play vanilla and it still crashes...the same crash every time...then i tried MANY different mods and still the same crash

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »

I deleted them all then reinstalled it...then i put mods back on them it crashes...

Hold on; so you never tried playing vanilla immediately after a clean reinstall? I'd suggest doing that.

What you're describing... hmm. Are you using any mods that require the modification of core files to work? That is, any mods that require more than just unzipping something into the "mods" folder to be installed? Also, in the vein of "details", it wouldn't hurt to say which mods you're using.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »

non that just need unzipping and i use uomoz and exerilin(what ever that is) and i did try vanillas after re installing it....again but before that i tried 15 other mods seperately
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:00:19 PM by Lopunny Zen »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »

non that just need unzipping

Do you mean the opposite of what that actually says? I'm going to assume you do.

and i did try vanillas after re installing it....again but before that i tried 15 other mods seperately

Right, but it would make sense to try vanilla immediately after reinstalling, prior to trying it with any mods, just to establish whether a clean install of vanilla works, before any mods enter the picture at all.

Hmm. How certain are you that the error you've pasted in the OP is the one that comes up every time there's a crash? Something about this just doesn't add up.

Also, if you could run DxDiag and attach the info it produces here, that might be helpful.
Pages: [1] 2