Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New Skills to Improve Fighters  (Read 2111 times)

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
New Skills to Improve Fighters
« on: May 11, 2013, 05:00:52 AM »

After playing version 54.1a for a while, I've found that while I often a few fighter wings and a carrier for support in the early-mid game they eventually lose usefulness as I  gain levels.  Many of the benefits gained by the Technology aptitude (better hullmods, extra OP) do not apply to fighters, and the percentage benefits to flux dissipation/capacity are not quite as helpful for shieldless fighter wings as they are for shielded ships.  As a result, I find myself using a couple high-speed frigates for point capture and harassment duties, and my once-proud fleet of fighters ends up gathering space dust in an abandoned space station.

Personally, I'd like to see a skill or two that specifically helps fighters, helping them scale better into the late game.  Any thoughts on this matter?
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New Skills to Improve Fighters
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:14:31 AM »

I'd always just assumed one of the underdeveloped skill trees would end up with a few skills to support fighters. There's also the fact that Alex is thinking about changing the way that fighters work now to something that would give them their own niche in combat.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 05:18:38 AM »

Industry could perhaps benefit fighters in someways, improve how quickly they dock, how quickly they repair/rearm once docked and so on and so forth.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 06:22:06 AM »

Industry could perhaps benefit fighters in someways, improve how quickly they dock, how quickly they repair/rearm once docked and so on and so forth.

I like it! Would give a new level of sophistication to fighters, Which is VERY much needed in my eyes :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Sonlirain

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 06:48:19 AM »

I like it! Would give a new level of sophistication to fighters, Which is VERY much needed in my eyes :)
Dunno i think industry should be a mostly civilian build about mining and production.
IMO fighters would fit better in either technology or leadership.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 06:52:07 AM »

Talons have little to do with Technology and Leadership has little to do with Wasps.

I'm not sayin g that Industry is ideal, just that it could apply to the assembly lines within carriers.

Sonlirain

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 07:06:46 AM »

Talons have little to do with Technology and Leadership has little to do with Wasps.

I'm not sayin g that Industry is ideal, just that it could apply to the assembly lines within carriers.

Wasps got retconned and are manned now so leadership pretty much covers all fighter craft.