Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More Frequent Small Engagements/Game Pace  (Read 2873 times)

RedFox071

• Ensign
    • View Profile
More Frequent Small Engagements/Game Pace
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:45:29 PM »

I don't know how others feel about the pace of the game but I find that I go through a play-through in one or two sessions. Personally I think the game could benefit from a more drawn out early to mid game. I can't imagine the fortune (or luck) that it would take to come into a combat ready ship.

Perhaps in the future there will be an option to start the game as a cargo transport/smuggler dodging pirate frigates. A few successful missions later maybe you are able to afford a transport with shields and some point defense. Then eventually you move your way onto more heavily armored and outfitted frigates and such.

Mostly I just find that after you purchase your first capital class ship you can take on any fleet but the hegemon fleets with multiple onslaughts.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More Frequent Small Engagements/Game Pace
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:14:51 PM »

please keep in mind the game isint finished yet.
changes such as the one you are suggesting right now arent called for just yet

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 02:09:11 AM »

I actually quite like the idea of civilian starting ship options, as direct contrast to the military ship options. With luck, i think i could implement it into a secret mod of mine, but nonetheless I'd love to see it in the vanilla game anyhow.

Modest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 02:19:13 AM »

I also think (sometimes it work even for me ;)) that being able to start as a civilian trader/miner would be great. But fair point is that game is not ready yet for that. Not unles we will have missions that would require transporting a lot of stuff from place to place, and diffrent prices for the same goods in diffrent stations (and planets possibly). And for some reason, I actually have feeling that it is planed to be possible in ending product. Just not yet. Lots of stuff more important to be done now. My feeling may be wrong of course.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 02:23:58 AM »

I actually quite like the idea of civilian starting ship options, as direct contrast to the military ship options. With luck, i think i could implement it into a secret mod of mine, but nonetheless I'd love to see it in the vanilla game anyhow.

Well, we currently have the shuttle.
The problem with starting as a trader is that right now, there is not really any kind of economy.
It might be possible to mod something together, so some things are worth more at some stations (I dunno, never started modding).
But I fear that the start might end up like the very first X-Game. *shudders* Click the spoiler for details.
Spoiler
For those who were never plagued with it: You start with NO equipment (well, one of the weakest shields), in a slow ship with pretty much NO cargo space, and 100 Credits (which is barely enough to get your cargo full of the cheapest stuff).
Pretty sure it took me around 1 hour to actually get the ship in a decent condition (still no shields and weapons, but some equipment and speed and cargo upgrades) and have some money leftover.
[close]
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 03:12:46 AM »

Commodities can be easy to add, I could probably do it. But from what I believe there is no fluctuating prices. The value remains constant across all stations
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

RedFox071

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:07:33 PM »

I definitely understand that this has no real place in the game just yet as there is no economy and the like but I would like to see it eventually. I just see the cargo transport ships in the game and think it is at least planned for the future. My main suggestion would be some early game cargo ship like the frigate fuel tanker or shuttle. But I also agree that the first X game was rather slow to start but it makes you want the bigger better ships that much more.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 08:28:25 AM »

I definitely understand that this has no real place in the game just yet as there is no economy and the like but I would like to see it eventually. I just see the cargo transport ships in the game and think it is at least planned for the future. My main suggestion would be some early game cargo ship like the frigate fuel tanker or shuttle. But I also agree that the first X game was rather slow to start but it makes you want the bigger better ships that much more.

theres a neat little feature list here http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Jazwana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 05:53:01 PM »

There's nothing like starting up an Escape Velocity game (or EV Override, or EV Nova...) with a new Rick Hardslab or Dash Riprock in your trusty shuttle, flying around the galaxy with passengers and a few rush deliveries while you try to dodge the angry gray dots on your crappy radar.  I would love for Starsector to have a minimal start once the campaign is fleshed out.  (Current starting ships are fine as a placeholder in 0.54.1)

Decer304

• Commander
  • Starsector starts with the letter "S"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »

Commodities can be easy to add, I could probably do it. But from what I believe there is no fluctuating prices. The value remains constant across all stations
I like having variable prices, but only differentiate between systems, not stations. This way the player can have a wider option on the trading side of the game as well as let them learn what is profitable on one system to the next.
"Kat, 6, push back the attack on Sword Base find out what we are dealing with"

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 11:53:32 PM »

I like having variable prices, but only differentiate between systems, not stations. This way the player can have a wider option on the trading side of the game as well as let them learn what is profitable on one system to the next.

So you mean something like the space stage in Spore? Where one type of spice could be really cheap in your home system, but really expensive in another system?
Yes, you are reading to far into this.