Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Collision  (Read 2904 times)

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
Collision
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »

Perhaps this is a design decision that is firm, but I think it would be nice if friendly ships could go over/under each other. 

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Collision
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »

Perhaps this is a design decision that is firm, but I think it would be nice if friendly ships could go over/under each other. 

Uhh.  Fighters currently have that capacity, and that is cool. 

I'd personally hate it if this occurred for larger ships, would be super weird because their relative sizes wouldn't change but one would clearly be higher than the other as they overlap and that'd cause a big loss of immersion for people like me.  But that's just my opinion. 

Why does this sound like a nice idea to you specifically?  Maybe I'm missing some interesting take on this issue.  Differing perspectives on issues are nice, but I'd like to better understand yours in this case I guess.   ;D  I could see ya thinking about how outer-space is 3D so why can't ships go up and down and share horizontal space?  Hmm, that could be valid thinking for sure.  Interesting.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:10:08 AM »

just a thought-
im not sure if you would want to go through the trouble but you might just be able to mod so all your ships have the same mechanic (maybe make all your ships fighters?)

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:20:53 AM »

Uhh.  Fighters currently have that capacity, and that is cool. 

I'd personally hate it if this occurred for larger ships, would be super weird because their relative sizes wouldn't change but one would clearly be higher than the other as they overlap and that'd cause a big loss of immersion for people like me.  But that's just my opinion. 

Why does this sound like a nice idea to you specifically?  Maybe I'm missing some interesting take on this issue.  Differing perspectives on issues are nice, but I'd like to better understand yours in this case I guess.   ;D  I could see ya thinking about how outer-space is 3D so why can't ships go up and down and share horizontal space?  Hmm, that could be valid thinking for sure.  Interesting.

Yeah, thats the basic thought.  It's more convenience than anything else, and its super obnoxious to have your shots and path blocked by your own ships, when there should be so much room to maneuver.  I guess my thought is--that's how it would be realistically and also more convenient for a player, so is there a gameplay/design reason for it to be the way it is now?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »

In brief - I think it would feel/look/play weird, and the "obvious best" strategy would be stacking all your ships on top of each other, preferably with an Astral or some such to provide 360 degree shield coverage.

The fact that ships can collide, and that friendly fire is possible, are a large part of the tactics involved, and the overall feel of the game. IMO, taking that out would severely neuter it.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »

In brief - I think it would feel/look/play weird, and the "obvious best" strategy would be stacking all your ships on top of each other, preferably with an Astral or some such to provide 360 degree shield coverage.

The fact that ships can collide, and that friendly fire is possible, are a large part of the tactics involved, and the overall feel of the game. IMO, taking that out would severely neuter it.

Yikes, no neutering kthxbi.   ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »

I honestly take great amusement in flying straight at a ship to watch it avoid the collision.  :D

Especially if it's one of my own (Since they tend not to fire on me).
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire