Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 13310 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 07:58:27 AM »

By the by, i'd like to add to the fact that nothing you buy with RL money here won't be exclusive for just RL money. Meaning that you can buy everything with in-game money, this is just for the people who don't want to spend as much time, and there'll be a cap on how much RL money you can spend.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 08:01:01 AM »

(Also truly sorry for the Double-post here, i usually never do this)

no I think you then just buy your new (and significantly less shiny) ship with in game credits

looks really cool... is it just fighters though? How do interactions with capital ships work?

It's not only fighters. You can pilot ANY ship in the game, any. Even the capitals, and it won't just strictly be a ship-camera either, no, the ships will have fully rendered interior, and you'll have a personal character for you. Though acquiring the ships, well, that's another matter ;)

Which is where being in a corp comes in. You get to fly those ships (And better) much faster, and you serve a common goal rather than being just free-lance (which'll get you killed, probably).

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »

It looks like just another PC elitist run game with graphics my computer can't handle. Just like Planetside 2, Tribes Ascend and
 EVE Online.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »

It looks like just another PC elitist run game with graphics my computer can't handle. Just like Planetside 2, Tribes Ascend and
 EVE Online.

Sophisticated & ground breaking != elitist.

For too long we've been without well written games that challenge the PC hardware envelope.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 11:28:23 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, they use the (surprisingly well optimized) Unreal Engine.

And it might be possible to turn the graphics lower than shown in the trailer.
As Yahtzee once said: "Any game trailer, especially ones that don't show gameplay, are basically two minutes of a publisher soaping their ****sack under carefully arranged mood lighting."

From another episode: "never let yourself get excited by trailers"
So yeah, it looks nice. The ideas are great, but then again I'm pretty sure he had the same ideas for Freelancer (which were too expensive to implement at that time).

Let's just see how good this thing is, once everything is set up.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »

EVE Online.

Wait wait wait wait. Hold it there. How is it elitist again?

dogboy123

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 01:15:27 PM »

EVE Online.

Wait wait wait wait. Hold it there. How is it elitist again?
I was referring to the majority of the playerbase of these games. Whose nastiness I've experienced firsthand.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »

EVE Online.
I want to see the full 4 teraflops/2 PS4s my GPU can push in a game with no bottlenecks and all the optimizations.
This is a PC game. You know, for our multiple hundred dollar hardware to really stretch their muscles with? Yeah, one of those.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

dogboy123

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »

EVE Online.
I want to see the full 4 teraflops/2 PS4s my GPU can push in a game with no bottlenecks and all the optimizations.
This is a PC game. You know, for our multiple hundred dollar hardware to really stretch their muscles with? Yeah, one of those.
And I want to put teraflops on my hat so they flop and slap me on the back when I walk. I also want to put a bottleneck on my neck, I hope I can still stretch my muscles on my neck though. All this hard as rock wear, might cost multiple hundreds of dollars. Yeah it's  of those types of outfits.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:45:02 PM by dogboy123 »

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »

I was referring to the majority of the playerbase of these games. Whose nastiness I've experienced firsthand.
Yeah. The people who still play Darkspace a lot = Elitist. Then again, that's me too.
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »

"Is Star Citizen “free to play”? A subscription game?
To play Star Citizen you need only to buy the initial game. There will never be a monthly charge for usage. Some in-game items may be available as microtransactions, but we will NEVER sell anything that can’t be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay."-FAQ Page

Yaaaayyy....
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 08:08:22 AM »

"Is Star Citizen “free to play”? A subscription game?
To play Star Citizen you need only to buy the initial game. There will never be a monthly charge for usage. Some in-game items may be available as microtransactions, but we will NEVER sell anything that can’t be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay."-FAQ Page

Yaaaayyy....
I saw that and my heart bled, especially the ship insurance idea, wtf is that junk?
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 09:01:36 AM »

@Sprog Ship insurance? An rather smart idea, i would say.

Essentially grants you a permit (much like today's car insurance, which is required for you to be able to drive the car) that allows you to fly your ship, AND replaces some of the expenses if you loose it. Also, i think, grants you a clone.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »

Mmmm, I dunno
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »

@Sprog Ship insurance? An rather smart idea, i would say.

Essentially grants you a permit (much like today's car insurance, which is required for you to be able to drive the car) that allows you to fly your ship, AND replaces some of the expenses if you loose it. Also, i think, grants you a clone.
The X series has that, doesn't it?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3