Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ship ideas  (Read 4683 times)

Scottnolan333

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Ship ideas
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »

Actually, the whole "fragile assault frigate" role is already filled - there are two phase frigates that are pretty much perfectly designed for getting in close, launching a pile of torpedos, and then running away.

Personally, I prefer antimatter blasters over torpedos, though.  (Although atropos racks on a Paragon can be pretty good.)

Hey thanks for the heads up on that i have never put that much into phase frigates but after seeing that i picked one up and they are pretty damn good and fit perfectly with what i was saying, although i would still like a cheaper more 'throw away' version possible without a phase cloak and in a similar vain as the hound.

Modest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 02:42:10 AM »

it may be rather difficult to add to the already existing ships without simply creating a surplus of of say cargo or fuel haulers

That is true danger when creating civilian ships. And that is why I think there is eoungh transporters already (ok, maybe frigate transpor ship could be created, but seriously - it is not really needed at all). And that is why I would concentrate on making them (mining and other service providing ships) rather unable to carry too much cargo. That way if You want to play nice (that is peacefully) You would need always a transport ship/ships in addition.

On the subject of civilian ships being converted into the military ships i feel this is a great idea

Well, I like it also :) Such assymetric warfare is really interesting - to use "everyday" tools insted of working, to fight an enemy which has regullar weapons. Currently there is no point in that, but when economy will come in... Well... Loos of two, or three civilian ships reffited to fight, and taking down enemy military grade ship in a proces will be propably a good deal economy wise. :) So having more of those would be interesting :)

But all that, as You said, may take place when industrial part of game kick in. Not before. Also we must remember that as civilian ships are being reffited toward military use, oposite situation is alweys an option - imagine mighty Paragon that insted of having guns, have mining blasters :)

Scottnolan333

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 03:11:28 AM »

I also feel that more civilian to military converts fits with the whole idea of people making do, but i do also like the idea of not necessarily hasty conversions but more along the lines of the Gemini freighter, a freighter that is designed not to take on ships head to head but can still benefit your fleet and not just serve as a supply vessel. that being said i do have a soft spot for the Gemini as easily one of my favorite ships in terms of its sheer flexibility. I personally feel that ships which can be converted to suit different less essential roles in my fleet are really cool for instance the Gemini can take over antifighter/PD roles or more of a support role simply resupplying and refitting fighters. another hull i feel that is great for multiple roles is the vulture which can pretty much serve any role in a fleet form DPS to carrier and any other roles that could face you.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:17:06 AM by Scottnolan333 »
Pages: 1 [2]