Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 922960 times)

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.51
« Reply #210 on: May 20, 2013, 02:49:43 AM »

While this is largely off-topic, I just wanted to mention that 1) autoresolve will be simpler and more predictable in the next release, with fleetdeployment point values playing a larger role and 2) the algorithm will be fully moddable, with the baseline implementation provided in starfarer.api.zip.

Woohoo! Sounds awesome :) (thread derailment seems like a very small price to pay for such news :P)

--- snip ---
Whether the neutrinos are or are not a bit unbalanced in this mod, though, I think I have a bit of a solution to help keep the system balanced: balance of power. In history, whenever a single country started becoming too powerful, other countries would ally together to counter the threat against that specific power, and bring them back down to size. I suggest that the same be done in this mod, to where when a situation as seen in sony's picture occurs, all the other factions are going to start banding together and trying to stop the larger faction before it is too late. I don't know much on modding, but I'm guessing something can be made so that if one faction becomes powerful, other factions are more likely to go to war with it in groups? It ought to solve the balance problem if it can be done; the more unbalanced the faction the more enemies that faction will get.

The first part of this idea is implemented: factions inherently dislike a faction who is the most powerful. The second part (of this inherent dislike causing alliances against the lead) is not really implemented and is on the drawing board (along with a number of other things in the diplomacy space) :)

--- snip ---
so i belive station layout is verry important in this mod & can bring major (un)balance to the game
 --- snip ---
ow & i saw strange thing, when faction out of the system attack fleet (or something) spawns their number is random, 1-4 is it suppose be like these ?
 --- snip ---
cant rly tell how i feel about their fighter "anti wing' or something, speed 300 price 120 cant rly tell , i'll bet they are nightmare to the solid weapon point def weapons

Yeah station layout and wars/alliance have a bigger effect than the auto-resolve, which is why I'm not TOO worries about factions being slightly imbalanced.

Yeah respawn fleets will differ in number (1 - 4) depending on resources an empire has.

Yikes, I meant to change this to a more meaningful number, 120 is way too low. It will only affect the player though (providing a super cheap fighter wing). I'll change this for the next version.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 20, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »

dude...the player has a way to little advantage...the fleets are almost never big while everyone else explodes with massive defense fleets while mine takes their time building up with little to no cargo ships.....even worse is i have to pay for everything so by the time i do get some money its too late..my places are being invaded and screwed....i cant do anything since i have no money or manpower and all i can do is unfairly get screwed over...there has to be something the player can get...the wages are scraps at best

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »

Lopunny, try going after the freighters of an enemy when your fleet is small and you end up at war. Not only will it get you the needed money to buy yourself a fleet, but it will cause the enemy to end up with less resources and thus less powerful fleets to send at you, which is usually enough to keep you alive. The atlas station attack fleets are also good targets to bring down for easy money.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »

i do that but while thats happening everyone else is buffed super fast...im still too weak...wages need to be higher

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2013, 01:22:49 PM »

Lopunny, the defense fleets are supposed to be extra tough, just like the hegemony defense fleet is extra tough in the vanilla game. I don't think you are supposed to quickly be able to reach their size, you should be fine on wages and tasty freighters to build yourself a medium fleet capable of defeating some enemies, extra wages shouldn't be necessary. Heck, I often find myself with more money than I know what to do with when I'm playing, though I do tend to play as the inexpensive pirates for the challenge. Your faction grows and is just as powerful as the other factions, the only difference between your faction and another faction is that each faction has different ships and your faction has you to help fight. Some factions might be easier to play as, such as the council in comparison to the pirate faction, but overall, your faction is buffed just as much as any enemy faction. The more stations a faction has, the more fleets it can spawn. You are the advantage your faction has over any other faction.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »

yes but ive figured out the problem...the fleets the bases spawn are random...theres no size or economy thing as far as i see and they dont gradually get bigger ones via supply...some just pop out giant fleets like a production line...it happened to my fleet and its kinda unfair...at least make so it doesnt just jump up to giant fleets...some get them the moment they set a base up and its stupid....this game seems very good...but im stressing out trying to enjoy it :(

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »

Actually, unless the code isn't working the way it seems to be supposed to, fleet composition is entirely based on the supplies and crew that are inside of a station. Each station basically looks at how much supplies and crew it has, and then builds the biggest fleet it can with how much supplies and crew it has, subtracting those supplies and crew. When a station has just gotten a supply shipment from freighters, it is usually able to make a larger fleet, while a station that hasn't obtained a supply fleet in a while is left making rather small fleets. A faction that has gone a while without any warfare is usually able to build several large fleets before it runs low on supplies because of the supplies that it has been able to save up. I believe that the fleets don't get gradually bigger with supplies, but gradually smaller as the supplies run out, until the station receives another shipment at which time it is able to make larger fleets again.

Also, another suggestion to maybe help you with the early game before you can get a fleet, you are able to buy supplies and crew (and on very rare occasions, a weapon or two) from stations that do not belong to you and sell them to your own station to help fuel its fleet production. This will result in a net loss of money for you, but it will allow your station to build more fleets that it wouldn't otherwise be able to make, which can sometimes be especially useful.

Oh, and another suggestion for the mod, how about factions which have a station near an asteroid belt be able to send out lightly defended mining fleets for an extra supply boost.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »

yes but ive figured out the problem...the fleets the bases spawn are random...theres no size or economy thing as far as i see and they dont gradually get bigger ones via supply...some just pop out giant fleets like a production line...it happened to my fleet and its kinda unfair...at least make so it doesnt just jump up to giant fleets...some get them the moment they set a base up and its stupid....this game seems very good...but im stressing out trying to enjoy it :(

Actually, unless the code isn't working the way it seems to be supposed to, fleet composition is entirely based on the supplies and crew that are inside of a station. Each station basically looks at how much supplies and crew it has, and then builds the biggest fleet it can with how much supplies and crew it has, subtracting those supplies and crew. When a station has just gotten a supply shipment from freighters, it is usually able to make a larger fleet, while a station that hasn't obtained a supply fleet in a while is left making rather small fleets. A faction that has gone a while without any warfare is usually able to build several large fleets before it runs low on supplies because of the supplies that it has been able to save up. I believe that the fleets don't get gradually bigger with supplies, but gradually smaller as the supplies run out, until the station receives another shipment at which time it is able to make larger fleets again.

Also, another suggestion to maybe help you with the early game before you can get a fleet, you are able to buy supplies and crew (and on very rare occasions, a weapon or two) from stations that do not belong to you and sell them to your own station to help fuel its fleet production. This will result in a net loss of money for you, but it will allow your station to build more fleets that it wouldn't otherwise be able to make, which can sometimes be especially useful.

Oh, and another suggestion for the mod, how about factions which have a station near an asteroid belt be able to send out lightly defended mining fleets for an extra supply boost.

sirboomalot is spot on, and stations also generate a small amount of resources themselves (with a bonus to one resource depending on whether they are orbiting a gas planet, normal planet or moon).

Asteroid mining fleets (and gas mining fleets) are on my todo list :) and they'll eventually (mostly) replace the 'station generates resources' mechanic. This will make certain spots in the system more desirable than others, which should affect diplomacy and war target priorities... lots to do! :P

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 21, 2013, 03:09:40 AM »

yes but hes super flawed in on thing...THE SUPPLY FLEET ENGAGE BATTLE PURPOSELY...i dont understand but everything including the station attackers goes after people.....why..if i were a cargo guy id leave everything alone...i would even blend into space id be so scared but these people are bold enough to battle people...dying and losing precious supplies and time...i wonder if they even have a purpose to live...i barely see supplies hit the stations

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2013, 03:51:15 AM »

That's just something with the convoys. If they happen to pass by a fleet that they can beat, they'll most likely try and force an engagement, and if they blunder into the equivelent of a faction's System Defense Fleet, they'll try and haul ass outta there. One could make the convoys more heavily armed, which would better their chances in engagements, but would also make them more likely to engage in the first place.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:21 AM »

change their nature...make them scared to engage

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:06 AM »

Scheisse, this wasn't the simplest, integrating this code. Oh well, i'll do it.... Somehow else ;)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:17 AM »

Ok who invited nihil into this mod...there so unblanced..there fighters are too fast and too armed...and dont get me started on their giant ass ship which just gives armies the finger...whos idea was this >:(? god...everything was fine until they came and destroyed all my fleets with one giant ship...who even considers that to be a good idea anyways...that not even creative v.v
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:22:21 AM by Lopunny Zen »

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »

Ok who invited nihil into this mod...there so unblanced..there fighters are too fast and too armed...and dont get me started on their giant ass ship which just gives armies the finger...whos idea was this >:(? god...everything was fine until they came and destroyed all my fleets with one giant ship...who even considers that to be a good idea anyways...that not even creative v.v
If you don't like them, it's trivial to remove them. Just calm down.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 21, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »

no i wont calm down...there cheap and noone likes them....why not thule mod..they just updated...replace nihil and get them out of here..i was doing fine until therew huge ship cam and ruined the game by pounding all my fleets to rubble and now...even worse for some reason 80% of the galaxy is allied against me despite the fact im not even close to the most powerful team and this happens every single time i play the mod...how do you guys even play this mod?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 141