Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 917072 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.32
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2013, 10:19:37 PM »

*notsureifshouldclickreportbutton*  ::)

Can't wait to see some new hulls and ship systems on the Lotus Pirates.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.4
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2013, 04:13:40 AM »

Just uploaded an update :)

Code
 - Added neutrino faction
 - Added new diplomacy system
   - Added war weariness for faction fighting constantly in a war
   - Added dislike for leading faction and like for losing faction
   - Added check for player betrayal and peace treaty break
 - Added extra system size start config options
 - Added start config to set starting number of attack fleets
   - Added vanilla only settings for starting factions
   - Added start config for respawn wait time (if respawn is selected)
 - Added extra starting ships for each faction
 - Added patrol fleets that spawn from station
 - Added ship systems to Nomad and LotusConglomerate factions

- Changed the balance of some factions slightly
 - Changed valkyrian and council fleet composition slightly
 - Changed off map attack fleets to spawn more fleets if target station is rich (up to 3)
 - Changed Attack/Defense fleets to respond faster to relationship changes
 - Changed number of rebel fleets to take into account number of stations
 - Changed rebel fleets to spawn less frequently

- Fixed out system attack fleets dropping too many resources sometimes
 - Fixed (hopefully) 0 crew/fuel/supplies/marines bug

It will not be save compatible sorry.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »

Another update :P

Noticed an issue with the diplomacy calculation that meant not a lot was going on...

Update will be save compatible with v0.4 :)

Code
 - Changed rebel fleet to not hang around quite as long
 - Fixed an issue with diplomacy relationship calculations
 - Slightly reduced the penalty applied to a players dropped off resources

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.41
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2013, 12:34:35 AM »

Just one technical thing, could you put version number in zip file name like, Exerelin_v0.41.zip or something cos i have like Exerelin(1), Exerelin(2), Exerelin(3), Exerelin(4), Exerelin(5) etc. It's just easier to track down mod version this way. Or you could ignore me...  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

kupan9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2013, 12:38:06 AM »

Sounds like fun. I will have to download it and start a new game now, so much for sleep. :D
If you are taking faction requests, the faction that has my favorite ship from Uomoz's mod is the Interstellar Federation. The Titan is just so much fun, especially with some select weapons from the Valkyrians.

I personally am not a fan of the Neutrino, but since you included such easy directions for disabling factions I don't like this is a non issue. Thank you for that.

I am not sure how the new diplomacy system works, but it will be interesting to find out. Is it fairly transparent via messages? If not could you please explain what you mean by

(Everything below is based off of .32 unless stated otherwise in an edit later)

On to bugs, glitches, and corner cases.
On two separate games I had two factions spawn and head toward the same station. One of which had my player faction fight to the death with another factions spawn fleet before either had a station. I didn't catch for certain that they were heading to the same station or just two so close that they fought each other, but they certainly looked to be on a collision course before they moved to fight. If there isn't anything checking to make certain there isn't a duplicate station when issuing starting fleet orders, it might be worth doing. If there is, it might be worth changing it from station specific to each faction gets a different planet's station until you run out of planets (assuming more starting fleets in newer versions than the 4 in .32).

I had one alliance which kinda threw me, but I am not sure it was a bad thing at all. I was bombing the ever loving *expletive deleted* out of Tri Tach, I had manually declared war on them while we were about 5 stations to 5 stations and just kept driving them back and smashing their fleets. My faction had taken all but one of their stations with an atlas on the way to finish the Tri Tachs for good, when all of a sudden High Command had a thought (uh oh). Next thing I know, while scaring off the Tri Tachs last decent fleet from the atlas knocking on their station door, High Command declares a truce followed by an alliance. I paused at this point and had a little laugh. I don't know there is any real downside to this particular behavior but I needed to share it. If I had to pick a particular thing that I would change, it would probably be disallow alliances for a certain amount of time after a war, but in all the time I have been playing the mod this is the only time it has noticeably been a thing, so it is probably fine.

Suggestions
It would be great if you could order atlas' to attack a specific station. It could probably be pretty easily doable by having a token item that you can buy and sell at the station you want to take over. If you looked at the Modular Fleet's source for the fleet supply order tokens it would probably provide a nice template for how to accomplish this. I would probably set it out as this:
1. Buy Atlas Transponder for 10k-20k
2. Sell Atlas Transponder at target station, taking the difference in price as the loss for calling in the strike or supply drop.
3. When the Atlas Transponder is found in any station besides the player's starting station it calls an atlas to that station to either resupply that station if player owned, try to take over that station if owned by someone at war, or send a message that it is against the Rules of War to ambush a station without declaring war first for any neutral or allied stations.

If you are able to do token based interactions based on buying and selling, it could be fun to have tokens for other functions too, like :
1. Bribes: that give you different levels of chance to make an enemy into a neutral and neutrals into allies. Like 2k for a 5% chance 10k for a 20% chance etc. Make the logic for breaking an alliance have a second check with a 50% chance or so of not breaking the alliance if it was player chosen, just to make it last a little longer if it is a faction you really want to be allied with then spending the money might be worth it.
2. Supply Drops: Sell a Atlas Transponder to an allied station causes them to pick a random player faction station to send a normal supply fleet to and drop off the same sort of stuff as though it were a player faction of that faction resupplying itself.
3. Attack Fleet Orders: I sometimes find myself in an untenable position(that is good) where I am destroying enemy fleets but my faction can't keep up and is getting ground down. It would be nice if I could spend my money to order fleets to join the fight, maybe at 80% the total cost of the fleet and after buying the Attack Fleet it would spawn a fleet from the nearest player faction station. I am not sure how well this idea would balance so I would probably ignore it till the mod is a little more rounded than it currently is, assuming it goes in the direction that would make this feature a viable part of the flavor and mechanics set you are building.

Is there any chance to add the option in the starting menu to pick a "nemesis" or "rival" faction? I would personally like them to work something like this:
1. Forces them to be part of or in addition to the normal starting factions at world spawn.
2. They cannot be allied with the Player Faction.
3. They have a higher likelihood of declaring war with the Player faction, and the Player faction has a higher chance to declare war with them.
Maybe have a bounty setup with a credit reward for killing certain fleet types, nothing huge but a couple thousand credits just to make it feel like you are being supported for killing their defense fleets. More of a flavor thing than a practical income source is what I am looking for I guess. Probably not doable easily enough to be justified for the bounties.

You should ask for some sort of chat filter to stop people from wall of texting with 3 point lists ;D

This is a great mod, I look forward to seeing where you take this. It would be interesting to see if you and Uomoz end up mega modding them together. Custom event fleets, dynamic wars, fifty bazillion factions. The chaos, the beautiful beautiful chaos.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2013, 01:56:59 AM »

Weeeellll I had to try and do this.

>Downloads mod
>Butchers mod for own purposes
>Crashes the game.

::)

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2013, 03:24:24 AM »

Just one technical thing, could you put version number in zip file name like, Exerelin_v0.41.zip or something cos i have like Exerelin(1), Exerelin(2), Exerelin(3), Exerelin(4), Exerelin(5) etc. It's just easier to track down mod version this way. Or you could ignore me...  ;D

Haha will do from now on :)

Sounds like fun. I will have to download it and start a new game now, so much for sleep. :D
If you are taking faction requests, the faction that has my favorite ship from Uomoz's mod is the Interstellar Federation. The Titan is just so much fun, especially with some select weapons from the Valkyrians.

I personally am not a fan of the Neutrino, but since you included such easy directions for disabling factions I don't like this is a non issue. Thank you for that.

I am not sure how the new diplomacy system works, but it will be interesting to find out. Is it fairly transparent via messages? If not could you please explain what you mean by

Intersteller Federation is coming soon :)

It's not really very transparent but I think it would result in too much message spam. I will add some indicators if it becomes necessary. Perhaps things along the lines of "<faction> grows restless..." and so on.

War weariness dictates how keen a faction is for a war. The longer they are involved in a war the less likely they are to go to war with anyone else and the more likely they are to end their current war. It also works the other way, so no war means factions are keen for a fight :)

As for the second point, factions tend to dislike the faction with the most stations, and have less of a problem with the faction with the least stations. It's not as finegrained as I wanted it to be, but the groundwork is there to build a better system on.

Overall it should mean less random changes. The next main things are to implement a few other bits and bobs:
 - Factions don't like having their stations taken over
 - If an ally takes over a station from a faction we hate, we like that ally more
 - etc.

On two separate games I had two factions spawn and head toward the same station. One of which had my player faction fight to the death with another factions spawn fleet before either had a station. I didn't catch for certain that they were heading to the same station or just two so close that they fought each other, but they certainly looked to be on a collision course before they moved to fight. If there isn't anything checking to make certain there isn't a duplicate station when issuing starting fleet orders, it might be worth doing. If there is, it might be worth changing it from station specific to each faction gets a different planet's station until you run out of planets (assuming more starting fleets in newer versions than the 4 in .32).

Yeah unfortunately there is no check. As you say, it is more of a corner case, and is completely dependent upon where a faction starts and the closest station. Declaring war right at the start shouldn't happen as much anymore so it might be partially fixed.

I had one alliance which kinda threw me, but I am not sure it was a bad thing at all. I was bombing the ever loving *expletive deleted* out of Tri Tach, I had manually declared war on them while we were about 5 stations to 5 stations and just kept driving them back and smashing their fleets. My faction had taken all but one of their stations with an atlas on the way to finish the Tri Tachs for good, when all of a sudden High Command had a thought (uh oh). Next thing I know, while scaring off the Tri Tachs last decent fleet from the atlas knocking on their station door, High Command declares a truce followed by an alliance. I paused at this point and had a little laugh. I don't know there is any real downside to this particular behavior but I needed to share it. If I had to pick a particular thing that I would change, it would probably be disallow alliances for a certain amount of time after a war, but in all the time I have been playing the mod this is the only time it has noticeably been a thing, so it is probably fine.

Haha yeah this kind of thing was the drive for the new diplomacy changes. There are now multiple thresholds that need to be passed before war/peace/alliance is declared between two factions, which should make it more of a stable process rather than just a random one.

It would be great if you could order atlas' to attack a specific station. It could probably be pretty easily doable by having a token item that you can buy and sell at the station you want to take over. If you looked at the Modular Fleet's source for the fleet supply order tokens it would probably provide a nice template for how to accomplish this. I would probably set it out as this:
1. Buy Atlas Transponder for 10k-20k
2. Sell Atlas Transponder at target station, taking the difference in price as the loss for calling in the strike or supply drop.
3. When the Atlas Transponder is found in any station besides the player's starting station it calls an atlas to that station to either resupply that station if player owned, try to take over that station if owned by someone at war, or send a message that it is against the Rules of War to ambush a station without declaring war first for any neutral or allied stations.

Completely agree that it would be great for the player to be able to direct attacks (both takeover attacks and attack fleets) but I am hoping there may be something in StarSector 0.6 that makes this easier (I think I read something about dialog boxes in Alex's preview patch notes) but if not then I'll look at the cargo item way. Just feels a bit clunky is all...

If you are able to do token based interactions based on buying and selling, it could be fun to have tokens for other functions too, like :
1. Bribes: that give you different levels of chance to make an enemy into a neutral and neutrals into allies. Like 2k for a 5% chance 10k for a 20% chance etc. Make the logic for breaking an alliance have a second check with a 50% chance or so of not breaking the alliance if it was player chosen, just to make it last a little longer if it is a faction you really want to be allied with then spending the money might be worth it.
2. Supply Drops: Sell a Atlas Transponder to an allied station causes them to pick a random player faction station to send a normal supply fleet to and drop off the same sort of stuff as though it were a player faction of that faction resupplying itself.
3. Attack Fleet Orders: I sometimes find myself in an untenable position(that is good) where I am destroying enemy fleets but my faction can't keep up and is getting ground down. It would be nice if I could spend my money to order fleets to join the fight, maybe at 80% the total cost of the fleet and after buying the Attack Fleet it would spawn a fleet from the nearest player faction station. I am not sure how well this idea would balance so I would probably ignore it till the mod is a little more rounded than it currently is, assuming it goes in the direction that would make this feature a viable part of the flavor and mechanics set you are building.

And yeah like above. Would love to be able to handle this stuff with some UI elements. The allies-helping-each-other thing is something I would really like to implement.

Is there any chance to add the option in the starting menu to pick a "nemesis" or "rival" faction? I would personally like them to work something like this:
1. Forces them to be part of or in addition to the normal starting factions at world spawn.
2. They cannot be allied with the Player Faction.
3. They have a higher likelihood of declaring war with the Player faction, and the Player faction has a higher chance to declare war with them.
Maybe have a bounty setup with a credit reward for killing certain fleet types, nothing huge but a couple thousand credits just to make it feel like you are being supported for killing their defense fleets. More of a flavor thing than a practical income source is what I am looking for I guess. Probably not doable easily enough to be justified for the bounties.

Could do. I was thinking along those lines, but having it randomly choose a 'max' relationship level (i.e cant ally with this faction or always at war with this other faction) at the start of each game for every faction. The nemesis idea could be good though, bit of a self-difficulty decider if you keep picking the hard factions as a nemesis :)

You should ask for some sort of chat filter to stop people from wall of texting with 3 point lists ;D

This is a great mod, I look forward to seeing where you take this. It would be interesting to see if you and Uomoz end up mega modding them together. Custom event fleets, dynamic wars, fifty bazillion factions. The chaos, the beautiful beautiful chaos.

and yeah the ultimate mod ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:26:22 AM by Zaphide »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2013, 08:41:13 AM »

So much text, I've never seen so much on this forum
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »

Another mod you might consider adding is Thule Legacy, if it isn't already in the works. Otherwise, I am love'n the challenge of hold'n my own with the pirates while the system is full to the brim with all the awesome factions.

kupan9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »

Yah, you shouldn't look at half my other 12 posts then :P

Thanks for your response Zaphide. The new diplomacy system makes alot more sense now, and I like where it is going.

*edit*
Could you increase the box size for the changelog? It is a little irritating to have to copy/paste it to read it, and seems a little gratuitous to have it so small inside a spoiler block.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:29:41 PM by kupan9 »

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2013, 03:57:00 AM »

about v0.41
SyndicateASP - in system supply conv have no crew (no combat  ready ships)
& a little shrange thing http://imgur.com/a/5u3zr
it happens on 2 different games (but same mod ver.)
& is it just ME or there are some weapons that ain't delivered at the station (lances)

PS:                                                                                                                    ::)
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2013, 03:09:32 PM »

Would it be possible to have faction selection on more than one screen? I can see 15 right now, and maybe a 16th one, but more than that and i have no idea what is at the bottom of the list.

I noticed the ships don't get reset when stations change hands. Normally this doesn't matter, but when the player sells ships to a stations and then captures it all the sold ships are still there. I typically play on freebies mode so if i was more motivated i could have repeatedly sold the same ships over and over.

What is the criteria for spawning the balancing ships? (the pair of transports) I'd estimate that half of the time a faction thats not doing so well spawns one it has no personnel so when i catch them they surrender (or sabotage).
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

LostInTheWired

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »

I'm having some good fun with this one, I have to admit.  It's nice to see a bit of that Mount and Blade feel with the crazy diplomacy going down.

To me, the only thing that's missing is the Omnifactory.  Still love that mod.  I'll have to find a way to integrate it so I can have even more fun.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »

Thules Legacy

Yep this one will be added in a bit (after Thule releases his next main build, should be soon).

*edit*
Could you increase the box size for the changelog? It is a little irritating to have to copy/paste it to read it, and seems a little gratuitous to have it so small inside a spoiler block.

Hmm it looks alright for me (Firefox) might be a browser thing?

about v0.41
SyndicateASP - in system supply conv have no crew (no combat  ready ships)
& a little shrange thing http://imgur.com/a/5u3zr
it happens on 2 different games (but same mod ver.)
& is it just ME or there are some weapons that ain't delivered at the station (lances)

PS:                                                                                                                    ::)

Whoops yeah missing some weapons for the vanilla factions, possibly others, I'll have a look through.

The no crew for in system convoys is a bug, fixed for next version.

Not sure about the no ships issue, possibly you tried to fight them when they were despawning?

Would it be possible to have faction selection on more than one screen? I can see 15 right now, and maybe a 16th one, but more than that and i have no idea what is at the bottom of the list.

I noticed the ships don't get reset when stations change hands. Normally this doesn't matter, but when the player sells ships to a stations and then captures it all the sold ships are still there. I typically play on freebies mode so if i was more motivated i could have repeatedly sold the same ships over and over.

What is the criteria for spawning the balancing ships? (the pair of transports) I'd estimate that half of the time a faction thats not doing so well spawns one it has no personnel so when i catch them they surrender (or sabotage).

Yeah I'll do a paged thing for faction selection for next release.

Ships in station should get cleared on takeover so I'll check it out.

Yeah the uncrewed convoys are a bug, I'll fix for next version.

I'm having some good fun with this one, I have to admit.  It's nice to see a bit of that Mount and Blade feel with the crazy diplomacy going down.

To me, the only thing that's missing is the Omnifactory.  Still love that mod.  I'll have to find a way to integrate it so I can have even more fun.

Not 100% sure but I think the omnifactory is a utility so it should work alongside Exerelin (if you download the omnifactory mod itself).

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »

Whoops yeah missing some weapons for the vanilla factions, possibly others, I'll have a look through.

The no crew for in system convoys is a bug, fixed for next version.

Not sure about the no ships issue, possibly you tried to fight them when they were despawning?

1#- not only vanilla weapons are missing, i cant get (buy) tyhion lances too (got the name right ? :D)
2#- cool
3#-can't rly tell, but i'll keep that in mind, but (can't rly tell for 100%) i think the Empty fleets are on the SyndicateASP side, BUT on the MAP screen you can see the fleet as you target them with the cursor but when you confront them then its *PUF* ghost fleet
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:55:59 PM by theSONY »
-the ABOMINATION - in progress
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 141